Stew Dapple's 2018 Squib

Stew Dapple

Once again had a good start to the year and a disappointing end, but so it goes. 

January:

Hasegawa 1/72 Kawanishi H8K2 Emily:

DSCN6697.jpg

A really nice kit - build thread here, and RFI pics here

1/72 Arma Hobby PZL P.7a:

DSCN6830.jpg

This was a gift from our much-respected and admired forum-buddy Procopius; another lovely kit and extremely well engineered, it was a pleasure to build, which bodes well for their new Hurricane kit. RFI pics here

February:

1/72 Hasegawa Kawanishi H8K1 Emily:

DSCN6897.jpg

This is the Emily that I would have built first, and indeed it would have been the only one I'd built, if I'd known Hasegawa were going to release one. I do like the H8K2 variant but I like my aircraft 'clean' and without the whiskery radar array fitted to the nose of the later H8K2s, I prefer the rather more pert nose of the earlier Emily and also like the Vickers K-type guns fitted in the nose and side blister positions. Anyway building two Emilys in rapid succession might seem excessive but I regret nothing :) More pics here

March:

1/72 Airfix Nakajima B5N2 'Kate':

DSCN7004.jpg

To be honest I only built this as a test-run for spraying the national markings for a following build (the Hasegawa 1/32 'Jack'), but I am pleased with how it came out. The Airfix Kate is another one of those kits that is just a pleasure to build. RFI pics here

April:

U.S.S. Pennsylvania BB-38 1944 - 1/700 Dragon Modern Sea Power Series:

DSCN7092.jpg

I built this at Jamie (of Sovereign Hobbies fame)'s request in an awful hurry prior to the Scottish Nationals Model Show in Perth at the end of April 2018. It's well outside my usual area of interest and I didn't do a particularly good job even taking into account the time restraints, but here we are anyway. More pics here. It was built to take it's place in the Sovereign Hobbies enormous Battleships game which drew many admiring glances at the show - Gill and Jamie built all the other ships:

IMG-20180428-154010.jpgIMG-20180428-155217.jpg

May:

1/72 Eduard Grumman F6F-3 & F6F-5 Hellcats

These two were built for the "Carriers Ahoy" Group Build:

DSCN7173.jpg

DSCN7179.jpg

More pics here and here

June:

1/32 Hasegawa Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden 'Jack':

DSCN7227.jpg

I dont know why I suddenly decided to build a 1/32 aircraft, but it was an interesting experience. Build thread here and more RFI pics here

August:

1/72 Tamiya Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien 'Tony' x 2:

DSCN7375.jpg

DSCN7390.jpg

One of these was a gift from our esteemed forum-buddy Cookenbacher and the other a drunken midnight internet order gift from Past Me. I don't suppose I really need say much about the famously precise and beautiful Tamiya engineering and the kits cover and signpost the variations in production between the various schemes very clearly. Build thread is here and more RFI pics here and here

... and that's as far as I got aside from a couple of disappointingly unfinished Group Builds; I didn't so much hit the wall as ran face-first straight into it and haven't done anything other than a bit of desultory tinkering around since then. Hopefully I will face 2019 reinvigorated and ready to get back on the bench properly again. Anyway ten completions is a marginal improvement on last year's nine, so I should be grateful for small mercies.

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing you all next year.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 43

Great collection of some lovely finished Japanese subjects there Stu -  very well done.  Ten is a great effort and something that I like to set myself each year but haven’t quite achieved as yet. Seems like a few of us have hit the modelling wall lately so it’s good news that the new year is only hours away. All the best for 2019.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2018 at 10:37 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Ten is quite an output Stew, especially when two have four engines

For WWII prop aircraft, 1 engine=1 completion in my book, a little like the Luftwaffe (but less snappily dressed and I trust less evil) scoring system for heavies. Same deal with biplanes; one wing, one completion. So in reality, you've built 14 kits, plus the four steam turbines of the Pennsylvania, so 17 kits. Cracking result! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...