1/32nd P-39F Airacobra A53-6, 82 Sqn. RAAF 1943

This was built as part of group build as well as an addition to collection of unusual RAAF WWII aircraft I’m slowly putting together. I already have a P-38 Photo-Recon Lightning and a P-43 Lancer will soon be joining them.

The RAAF operated 22 P-39’s for about 18 months starting in March 1942 with mixed results, as far as I know they never saw actual combat. Rather been based on the East coast of Australia.

This aircraft A53-6 was in service for little over a year before crashing just outside of Sydney, she was recovered and returned to the USAAF as repairable. She was a little unusual in the colour scheme she wore and there is debate over what colour Grey was used. I’ve gone for Extra Dark Sea Grey which is considered the more likely colour.

I’d love to say the Special Hobby model is/was a nice build, but it’s not quite and can be a bit frustrating. But she came out quite nice in the end, though not helped by a few issues caused by yours truly!!

Thanks for looking, please enjoy.

Model: Special Hobby 1/32ndP-39F/Mk.1 Airacobra

Paint: Mr Paint, LifeColor (main) and Tamiya Acrylics, Model Master Metalizer Lacquers

Extras:

HGW P-39D Seatbelts

Master Model P-39 Gun Barrel set

Maketar Masks for Special Hobby 1/32ndP-39F/Mk.1 Airacobra

IMG_2506-XL.jpg

IMG_2509-XL.jpg

IMG_2511-XL.jpg

IMG_2516-XL.jpg

IMG_2519-XL.jpg

IMG_2523-XL.jpg

IMG_2524-XL.jpg

IMG_2525-XL.jpg

• Like 29

Wonderful job Rich and well done for biting the bullet regarding the colour scheme,...... I`m still sat on the fence and awaiting more conclusive proof before I build the RAAF Airacobra that I want to build,...... proof that might never, ever turn up!! 

I love you model,..... excellent quality and it looks the bee`s knee`s!

Cheers

Tony 

• Thanks 1

thanks Tony,

I used Gary Byk's book on the RAAF P-39's (from Red Roo Models) as a reference, it's pretty good and he seems to know his stuff. But along with the P-43 Lancer I'm build do suffer greatly from lack of proper information on their colour schemes. So sometimes as you say you've just gotta bite the bullet and go with what "looks" the best.

https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo/bell-p-39-airacobra-in-raaf-service/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Very nicely finished, Rich!  I'm unfamiliar with the Maketar masks.  Are they just used for the insignia and code letters?  Your camo doesn't look like it was masked; just a great job of freehanding.

Cheers,

Mark

thanks.

This was the first time I'd come across these masks as well, the masks were for the insignias and codes, the kits decals were used for the remaining small stuff.

The camouflage is free hand, my first attempt as I usually use BluTac sausages, but this Mr Paint paint is just so nice and easy to use. Just ran the brush on a super low pressure and the tip set to really fine, it takes time to build up the colour as the paint is so fine/thin (straight from the bottle). But it came out much better than I expected.