Zvezda 1/72 MiG-29 (9-13) Number 51

Hi,

Here is a selection of photos of my recent completion.

This is Zvezda's really good 1/72 MiG-29 (9-13) kit completed using one of the decal schemes included. The build was pretty much 'out of the box' except for Eduard's SS555 Zoom photoetch set and the pitot probe made from Albion Alloys brass telescopic tube set.

The model was painted in the main using Ammo by Mig acrylic paints (A.MIG-212 FS 26373 Silver Grey & A.MIG-213 FS 24277 Green) after a priming of Grey Stynylrez. Unfortunately the Ammo paints did not work to well with Tamiya's X20A thinner, resulting in the paint being extremely soft and peeled easily when masked or handled. After a lot of work removing paint from the affected areas I repeated most of the painting, this time I used Vallejo airbrush thinner instead. I am unsure if this solved the issue but it did seem to improve it, but from then on I was very careful when handling and masking the model. I also used Mr Hobby's H305 FS36118 for the radome and other dielectric panels. Many other paints were obviously used during the build but I wont mention them all.

The canopy was a slight issue because of the plastic it was made from, it seemed a bit rubbery and springy and was too wide for the fuselage. I think that as the part had cooled after injection it had relaxed slightly and this resulted in it being misshapen. I fixed this by using masking tape to squeeze it to the correct width then using a hair dryer I uniformly heated the canopy then left it a few seconds to cool. Once the tape was removed the canopy held its new shape. The canopy was later dipped in AK interactive's Gauzy Glass Coat to improve its clarity.

Once the model was sealed with Tamiya X-22 gloss decaling could commence and what a long job it was. Fortunately some of the stencils were grouped together on the same decal but there was still many to add. Zvezda decals are not the best quality in terms of printing as some exhibited missing areas. They are thinner than I am used to and they like to fold themselves up in multiple direction if allowed. I only had a couple of stencils that went wrong.

Weathering was kept simple consisting of Ammo by Mig panel line wash and some chipping using a dull yellow to represent the primer showing through on the composite parts and Ammo's Flat Aluminium for the metal parts. The model received several extremely light coats of Ammo's Lucky Matt varnish before some oil steaks where added with some more of the panel line wash and Tamiya's weathering powder. I also blended some light grey pastel dust into the larger decals to tone them down and make them better match the rest of the model before adding a final misted matt coat.

The canopy had its pale pink sealant added using painted clear decal paper. A few photo etch sensors such as the 'angle of attack' vanes, 'ILS antenna' and temperature probes were carefully placed in the correct position making the model tricky to pickup.

I used a little bit of artistic license on the centre drop tank, first giving it a coat of Vallejo aluminium metal colour. Then I sponged on marmite where I wanted some chipping. This was then over sprayed with the underside colour. Once dry the marmite can be washed off leaving a patchy chipped tank, which was weathered using similar techniques to the rest of the airframe . A similar effect was achieved on the exhaust using various metallics and Tamiya clear blue and orange.

31428208217_21135f5e2d_b.jpg

31428205957_d2bb0ec726_b.jpg

46367219351_53f7b70d5d_b.jpg

31428207157_ebc8ec3637_b.jpg

46367217441_b54b154858_b.jpg

This is a great kit from Zvezda with a couple of small negatives including the butt joint wing tips and the wrong shape forward strakes on the R-27's (looking at the later SMT boxing they seem to have fixed them) which I replaced with plasticard.

Hope you enjoy!

Mark.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Really nice build and convincing finish. Interesting use of Marmite - I guess easier to manipulate than salt. Your models may start to smell a little odd though!

Cheers

Malcolm

On 12/19/2018 at 10:18 PM, Buzby061 said:

Absolutely lovely. 

Putting Marmite on your MiG is definitely better than putting it on your toast. 

Pete

I think I would prefer spreading Humbrol Filler on my toast!

On 12/19/2018 at 10:42 PM, Baldy said:

Really nice build and convincing finish. Interesting use of Marmite - I guess easier to manipulate than salt. Your models may start to smell a little odd though!

Cheers

Malcolm

I can't remember where I heard the idea of using Marmite for chipping, but I have used it a couple of times and I like the effect. It gives a slightly different effect than salt, maybe more of a harder edge and the chips are larger. Fortunately it washes off easily leaving no residue behind and no smell either.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mark.

• Like 1