CSM Armstrong Whitworth FK8 1:48

My first "Ready for Inspection", and indeed my first post on here apart from an introduction, so let's hope the picture embedding works!

This is a Copper State Models Armstrong Whitworth FK8 mid production premium version in 1:48, largely out of the box except for the serial number. C3651 was one of a batch built by Angus Sanderson in late 1917-early1918. It was delivered to 2 squadron RFC in March 1918, and in April 1918 during the Lys offensive it was shot at by a German machine gunner over Locon while my grandfather was in the observer seat checking out artillery barages. They made it back to the airfield and C3651 went off to repair (as did my grandfather who was shot in the leg). However, by then the type was essentially obsolete so rather than fix it it was scrapped, after essentially a month of active use.

As it was practically new when scrapped I've not bothered too much about weathering and I'm imagining it in it's condition on delivery with just a few signs of wear. That's my excuse anyway for the flaws in my painting that show up so much more readily in photos. I see a couple of rigging wires need tweaking too - rigging really is a separate art isn't it!?

46369463671_7656f3202b_z.jpg

46318566082_45a3d9885d_z.jpg

46318564342_cdaca19c0a_z.jpg

45456901015_65ee0ac102_z.jpg

• Like 32

Ah yes, the cowl... I considered soldering it but decided CA would be easier. Got it right first time, beautiful fit, then realised I’d done it inside out so the machine gun hole was on the wrong side. I then understood why they provided 3. Never got the fit quite right again as you can see!

"Got it right first time, beautiful fit, then realised I’d done it inside out so the machine gun hole was on the wrong side."

Oh no! I will try to remember that when I build mine.

The fit you achieved looks good to me. 

I saw this kit at Telford and was sorely tempted to buy one as I like the FK.8 however the rigging puts me off,......  but your model isn`t helping my resistance as you`ve done a superb job!! Beautiful,........wonderful,.......  you should feel very proud of this one!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks all for your comments. The rigging was made easier by the PE rigging anchors provided with the kit which in my opinion give a good impression of the rigging tensioners that I assume we’re used on the real thing (there are no remaining FK8s that I could use to check - supposedly the RAF intended to keep one after the war but listed the wrong serial number so preserved something else instead). This is something I’d like to see more of, or to be able to buy as an aftermarket component; I’m currently contemplating my next model - a WnW Bristol Fighter - and dreading all the drilling required for the rigging! Maybe I’ll have to try some DIY etching.

Beautifully crafted build Bazman and an aircraft I knew nothing about I had no idea Angus Sanderson built aircraft,after WWI the huge munition's

factory in my home town closed and the company had a short but failed attempt to build car's there year's before Nissan thought of building a factory

up here!