RAF Harwell photos

TheindieG

I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this but it is a bit of a niche question. I am currently looking to make a model of (part of) RAF Harwell. I currently work on the site where it used to be and am trying to find old images of it. There are some out there but nothing beyond a few tentative ones where they are not sure if it is or isn't Harwell. I was firstly wondering if anybody had any better photos of the place, or secondly are there any better places to look for photos. 

I have found aerial photography of the airfield when it had concrete runways, but I would like to find something from when it had grass runways, which was most of its existence. 

Also, any information anybody has on the area or the site it would be greatly appreciated!

Evening Ryan,

can't help with photos apart from what is on Google, but I would guess the hard runways were laid in '43?

as most of the photos show Stirling glider tugs. It might be useful to contact:-

Harwell Parish History Group.

They seem to have a finger on the pulse.

Paul

This might be a lead . . . .

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/H-K/Harwell.htm

and I have a modellers plan of the pre-war tower: Its a 'Fort' type dated 1934.

Photograph of model tower to follow

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Evening Ryan,

can't help with photos apart from what is on Google, but I would guess the hard runways were laid in '43?

as most of the photos show Stirling glider tugs. It might be useful to contact:-

Harwell Parish History Group.

They seem to have a finger on the pulse.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I belive it was concreted in 1943, and you are correct, almost all the photos I have found are on the concrete runways, and lots with the glider tugs. I am going to get into contact with that society, didn't even know it existed!

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

This might be a lead . . . .

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/H-K/Harwell.htm

and I have a modellers plan of the pre-war tower: Its a 'Fort' type dated 1934.

Photograph of model tower to follow

Ian

Thanks for the help Ian, I did find that site a while ago but the images on there seem to be a bit late. That being said I may email the admin to see if they have anything earlier! Thanks for reminding me of the site.

Ryan

Ryan

as you know airfields are large places so I am wondering what it is you want to capture ??

Here is the original tower built to 4mm scale . . . 

31441873327_831159828c_z.jpg

Do you want a wartime show of aircraft  or the whole airfield in 1/300th scale of sorts similar to this  . . .

29107286641_99f8f36ff1_z.jpg

Always willing to help . . . 

Ian

• Like 4

The Archives Dept of the RAF Museum at Hendon should have airfield plans and maybe photos. TheAirfield Research Group has a good information forum 

22 hours ago, TheindieG said:

I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this but it is a bit of a niche question. I am currently looking to make a model of (part of) RAF Harwell. I currently work on the site where it used to be and am trying to find old images of it. There are some out there but nothing beyond a few tentative ones where they are not sure if it is or isn't Harwell. I was firstly wondering if anybody had any better photos of the place, or secondly are there any better places to look for photos. 

I have found aerial photography of the airfield when it had concrete runways, but I would like to find something from when it had grass runways, which was most of its existence. 

Also, any information anybody has on the area or the site it would be greatly appreciated!

This book might be useful?

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Ryan

as you know airfields are large places so I am wondering what it is you want to capture ??

Here is the original tower built to 4mm scale . . . 

31441873327_831159828c_z.jpg

Do you want a wartime show of aircraft  or the whole airfield in 1/300th scale of sorts similar to this  . . .

29107286641_99f8f36ff1_z.jpg

Always willing to help . . . 

Ian

I think a 1/300th scale may be a bit much for me at the moment, i'm basically trying to find out a bit more of the layout mainly for interest. I will probably try and find a small section to make into a diorama to start with. That is an awesome diorama though! that must have taken a very long time. 

5 hours ago, T-21 said:

The Archives Dept of the RAF Museum at Hendon should have airfield plans and maybe photos. TheAirfield Research Group has a good information forum 

I did not know these even existed, I will have to look into whether the museum has any information like I am looking for. I also think I will join the Airfield Research Group, because I will definitely be wanting more information on other airfields.

4 hours ago, Selwyn said:

This book might be useful?

Selwyn

Definitely! that looks like the sort of book I need. In my basket.

Thank you for your help guys!

Ryan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1