1/72 - Grumman F-14A & B Tomcat by Academy - released

Homebee

Academy is to release in 2019 a new tool 1/72nd Grumman F-14A Tomcat "VF-143 Punkin Dogs" kit in the MCP (Multi Color Parts) serie - ref. 12563

Source: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047967-academy-catalog-2019/&do=findComment&comment=3218086

Box art

imageproxy.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Very curious to see what this kit will be like. Academy has demonstrated in the past to be able to make kits that can compete with the best, like the Crusader and legacy Hornets, then they moved mainly into these MCP kits. The F-4 and Super Hornet have been praised for the combination of easy assembly and good detail, the F-16 is however very toylike. What will the Tomcat be like ?

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, areva said:

The slats, Flaps, etc. look fixed, and maybe that is good.

areva

Flaps look fixed, but I think the slats aren't. Look like their location is recessed... I may be wrong....

Madcop

20 years without a new top of the line F-14 and now we have Fine Molds, GWH, and Academy in short order.

This is the modelling equivalent of waiting half an hour for the bus only to have 3 arrive at the same time :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

• 1 month later...

Strange that seems ro be a genuine test shot but doesn't show any glove pylons or corresponding armament (just AIM-54 on the belly pallets). 

The usual trouble spot of forward/rear fuselage joint looks pretty smooth and tight, and the nose shape seems better than Academy's earlier tooling.

The seats appear to be both types which should not be the case, unless this is going to be a D later

71035918_3046133272128203_36706150513010.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert

Some interesting features, I like the way they moulded the windscreen together with part of the fuselage, it's something I'd like to see more often.

I'll have a look at the shapes later, but in terms of detail Academy seem to be a bit confused... the different seats may be due to plans for a future D, but the ECM bulges are not right... Academy have moulded ECM bulges under the wing gloves but not on the beavertail... Tomcats have had either bulges in all locations or in none. Of course it's relatively easy to remove the bulges under the gloves to build an earlier Tomcat, but this shows a lack of attention to the various airframe variations.

I personally doubt that this kit will be able to compete not only with the likes of Fine Molds and GWH, but even with the 25+year old Hasegawa and Fujimi. And I feel that even Academy themselves do not consider this kit in that range, but rather a potentially interesting kit for all those modellers that would find the Japanese kits too expensive and complicated.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:32 PM, Robert said:

The seats appear to be both types which should not be the case, unless this is going to be a D later

71035918_3046133272128203_36706150513010.

Regards

Robert

Good catch, they are indeed ahowing a NACES seat up front with canopy breakers (only correct for the D). 

Looking back at the other photos, there appears to be a joint line and subtle change in plastc color in the aft fuselage roughly in line with the rudder leading edge. This suggests the potential for an alternate part to accomodate the GE F110s for a B and/or D.   

As Giorgio noted, the tail fairing lacks an ECM fairing which would be correct for a mid-production A (post beavertail, pre-ECM).  The display model also has the NACA-style gun ports - again correct for a later A - but there is an obvious joint line above that panel which again suggests alternate parts for the different types.

We can only hope they've aligned the various features correctly for the actual kit releases (I use the plural term since it seems obvious at least an A and a B or D are planned for).

The pictures of the molds show lots of different alternative parts for different versions, the beaver tail is a seperate part for example. The molds also show three different parts that seem to be the insert panel for the gun area. My guess is that the model shown is a combination of different parts for different version boxings. Hence the different seats and so on. I wouldn't put to much weight on that, we will not get an A boxing with two different seats. An interesting thing to note are the panel lines where the glove vanes would be. They are curved when seen from the top. I only know of one other tomcat kit where this feature is present, the 48th scale Tamiya kit. So there does seem to be quite some attention to detail there.

I bet there will be A, B, and D boxings. A and D for sure.

4 hours ago, Robert said:

Also if you Google the VF-143 aircraft you will see it has the first generation gun gas purge vent http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001239435.html hopefully it will be catered for in the kit parts.

Regards

Robert

I think it will. If I remember correctly there are only 3 different configurations of the gun vents (disregarding prototypes) and the molds show 3 different insert parts. Should be in there. I am quite excited for this kit, I have to say.

This might be a real winner right here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it appears that the 3 versions are shown but l would assume the parts for the B and D would be gated off as only decals for the A are shown. Also the decal sheet appears different from the one shown previously, as it included decals for VF-51.

We will have to wait and see what is released.

Regards

Robert

Strange thing is the various type-specific options donx't seem to be grouped or otherwise arranged on the sprues to allow for "gating off" (at keast with any simple engineering). Will be very interesting to see how this is packaged for release.

• Like 1

I have to retract some of my previous comments... really all parts for all variants and configurations seem to be on the sprues, quite unusual choice but very interesting. At first glance seems that Academy got all the details correct, with different rear engine nacelles, instrument panels and coamings, seats, gun cooling vent panels (including the early A variant) and even different wheels. I'm quite impressed now !

The decal sheet looks good, the name Cartograf means that we'll have some properly printed decals forutnately,,., Also seems to include the dirt streaks usually seen on the inner wing section, again an unusual feature (that IMHO looks much better if painted though). Looking forward to the release of this kit

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2