1/72 - Grumman F-14A & B Tomcat by Academy - released

Homebee

Looks like it doesn't, no LAU-138 either (which are also missing from the GWH kit for some reason) (looks like they're facing the lau-7 on the sprue).

Edited by gota

• 4 weeks later...

At first I was kind of skeptical. After seeing the sprue shots, gotta say I'm worried my wallet won't be able to keep up. I mean, come on, you can make virtually any version of F-14s here (providing you have the correct decal). I think I should start saving...

• 3 weeks later...

I can see some design choices that I like a lot, if the shapes are right this could be a kit featuring heavily in my future stash.

At the same time there are a few things that I like less, like the presence of a few ejector marks in areas where I'd rather not see them. A problem that plagued the previous Academy tomcat...

A thing I liked is that while the box art is not correct, the instructions correctly state to use the early style of gun gas vents on the subject of the decal sheet. The presence of the Cartograf logo on the sheet is also reassuring, as these are of much higher quality than the decals included in other Academy kits

I'm really looking forward to this. Detailing looks amazing, Cartograph details, full weapons load. The units in the decal sheet are a bit meh in my opinion but thankfully there's no shortage of aftermarket options.

Hopefully the price range will be acceptable, if it's priced similarly to their recent F-15E should be around £25. The obscene cost of the GWH and Fine Molds kits (the latter without weapons no less) is a huge turn off (although GWH's latest F-14A boxing with Wolfpak markings looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g).

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 10:22 PM, Phantome said:

The units in the decal sheet are a bit meh in my opinion but thankfully there's no shortage of aftermarket options.

I think there is a shortage actually. One example: I've been waiting ages for a 1980s VF-142 one (which was a often seen, sporting a grim reaper on its tailfins, at summer airshows around europe)  - but no such luck. But there's still loads of interesting schemes that haven't been covered yet by aftermarket producers.

F-14A_Tomcat_VF-142.jpg

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
added pic
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

I think there is a shortage actually. One example: I've been waiting ages for a 1980s VF-142 one (which was a often seen, sporting a grim reaper on its tailfins, at summer airshows around europe)  - but no such luck.

I think that scheme was in the original Italeri F-14A 1/72nd kit.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Doesn't the lack of this subject in the current aftermarket prove my point or am I wrong?

Jay

I second your opinion, Mountain goat! Those are my favorite Tomcat markings and they seem to be scarcer than rocking horse... well, you get the idea :) Anyway, I'd love it if Xtradecal or some other producer would get on this and produce some new Tomcat sheets, featuring VF-142 markings!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

I think there is a shortage actually. One example: I've been waiting ages for a 1980s VF-142 one (which was a often seen, sporting a grim reaper on its tailfins, at summer airshows around europe)  - but no such luck. But there's still loads of interesting schemes that haven't been covered yet by aftermarket producers.

F-14A_Tomcat_VF-142.jpg

Jay

I seconded that. Been looking for VF-2 farewell scheme in 1/72nd scale. To no avail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John_W said:

A question for the experts. Would this kit build in to an Iranian aircraft with minimal modification? The Hasegawa kit is a bit expensive and lacks weapons.

The iranian Tomcats don't have the the main cover for the refuelling probe, so to be accurate one would have to scratch a bit. The Hasegawa kit doesn't depict that either though.

Edited by hoppie
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John_W said:

A question for the experts. Would this kit build in to an Iranian aircraft with minimal modification? The Hasegawa kit is a bit expensive and lacks weapons.

Other than the refuelling probe doors, all things necessary are packed.

Maybe except MIM-23 Hawk but that's another can of worms to open.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John_W said:

If you can get a hold of one, the Fine Molds F-14A has everything in the box for an Iranian aircraft, including a separate refueling probe door which negates the need for surgery.

Mike.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyas said:

Other than the refuelling probe doors, all things necessary are packed.

In that the Iranian F-14s don't have one over the probe?

I guess that could be done by boxing it in and using some rod, a bit fiddly but doable.

EDIT, apologies, missed the post by Hoppie!

Didn't realise the Fine Molds F-14 is roughly the same price, and available in that link.

Edited by 71chally

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

In that the Iranian F-14s don't have one over the probe?

I guess that could be done by boxing it in and using some rod, a bit fiddly but doable.

EDIT, apologies, missed the post by Hoppie!

Didn't realise the Fine Molds F-14 is roughly the same price, and available in that link.

Considering FM's F-14A doesn't come with weapons or upgrade parts for later blocks, i.e. Bombcats, I'd still go for Academy.

Or Hasegawa. But Hase is equally stingy for weapons.

But for those who wants a higher detail, i.e. open radome etc., FineMolds should be the answer they need.

• Thanks 1