"RAF in the 1960s - the definitive short films collection" -- any leads on where to find one? SMALL UPDATE

cmatthewbacon

Apologies for for posting this here but it seemed like the best-trafficed place to find someone who might be able to help out with this long shot. Father-in-law (a pilot in the RAF from the late 50s to the 80s) is suffering from dementia, and needs some stuff to watch that's not too complicated or unfamiliar. I found this anthology of films made for the RAF on a huge variety of subjects in the 60s, and it seems to fit the bill nicely. Sadly, Strike Force Entertainment, who packaged it, seem to have gone belly up, and even Amazon doesn't have a line on any "new and used from..." offers, and there aren't any on eBay. Does anyone know of somewhere that might still have a copy, or the DVD equivalent of abebooks.com? Or anyone spotted it in a local charity shop?

Any help much appreciated...

best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Not that particular series but I have The Royal Air Force The Unseen Films on 6 discs - 1954-1960 , 1960-1961 , 1962-1965 , 1965-1969, 1970-1974, 1974-1979 more than happy to lend them if you have the means to get them copied or loaded onto a hard drive - various short films on life in the RAF that recruiting teams used to take round to show to schools , Cadet Forces and even occasionally in the cinema or on TV.

Morning Matthew @cmatthewbacon 

Just a thought, have you contacted the Squadrons or Squadron associations of those your Dad flew with? They do tend to

'look after their own' and if the circumstances are explained......

If you would also, on one of the better days, thank your Dad for his service.

Wishing you both a peaceful Christmas and New Year.

Paul

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 10:41 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

Sadly, Strike Force Entertainment, who packaged it, seem to have gone belly up .......

Have you tried Cherry Red Records who traded as Strike Force Entertainment ?

Still in business at the same address and have some of the series still available but not the one you are after but maybe in the circumstances worth dropping a line in case they have any returns with damaged cases etc. lying about in a dusty corner that have been overlooked - https://www.cherryred.co.uk/ 

• Thanks 1

Good thought, Des... through the web site, I managed to find a direct email address for the "label manager" of Strike Force Entertainment at Cherry Red, so I've pinged him a mail. Let's see if he has a boxful under his desk...

Thanks again,

Best,

M.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sadly, Barney, the label manager, didn't have any copies lying around. But I did send father-in-law the "Late 1970s" set, which, of course included the Queen's Silver Jubilee. I'd forgotten, if I ever knew, that he led the flypast at the Queen's Jubilee Review of the RAF at Finningley, flying a Whirlwind displaying the RAF Standard. You can see him in action here:

https://www.forces.net/news/tri-service/our-archive-royal-air-force-royal-salute-1977#t=18m46s

It seems that he did recognise this, and he has spent a happy few hours wearing an old RAF jumper, watching many of the films. All in all, I think it was a good purchase (especially for £3.43...) 😜

Thanks, again, and if anyone stumbles across a copy of the 60s volume, you know where to find me...

best,

M.

• Like 3

What a SUPER video!

Thank you do very much for sharing it.  I do hope your father-in-law is able to enjoy many many viewings.

All the best,

Jonny