Trumpeter 1/72 SU-24M Fencer D

Good evening everyone.

I've not started a work in progress for some time on Britmodeller as I got into magazine work a few years ago.

With a workbench now clear of all magazine builds I now find myself with a chance to take something from the stash to be built. 

I've recently been putting together a big collection of modern Russia aircraft, the likes of the SU-27, SU-34, SU-25, SU-33 to name just a few so it's time I tackle one of these and blogged a build online for others to see instead of in a magazine.

So I've gone with the SU-24M Fencer D in 1/72nd scale by Trumpeter. I've got the Eduard etched to spice things up and master pitot tube in transit. I'll keep posts to update you all :)

y5oGvEiaUbi56f_Se3WXIBXIvT3jaXvOiZM2Canv

The kit was also recently reviewed on britmodeller by Paul

So check out the kit here if you want to see more 

• Like 3

So to start the build.

One thing I am really guilty of when it comes to aircraft with big payloads is leaving all the weapons, pods, fuel tanks etc to the end of the build and sometimes rushing them to get the kit finished.

So with that in mind, I thought it would be a complete change to build all the weapons and fuel tanks first!!!

With the kit, there is a huge amount of underwing stores and far too much to hang off one aircraft. But there will be a large number of spares. I've come up with an idea I've seen on other builds around the net and that is to build everything and then display all those weapons on a base with the finished aircraft. 

3Di2hb8MyacWkdv30wzVD0--zAV39XHSPbe-im25

Aa5xDYamyUK64_XExoybTTLGukaobexe50D-1CHX

uUQDtosgH4rHE5ThgcxztwcSOKM20JRNm1N4rG8f

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thepureness said:

One thing I am really guilty of when it comes to aircraft with big payloads is leaving all the weapons, pods, fuel tanks etc to the end of the build and sometimes rushing them to get the kit finished.

So with that in mind, I thought it would be a complete change to build all the weapons and fuel tanks first!!!

I think it’s a right decision. Also, for the current and a future builds I managed to start with as many subassemblies, as possible (without touching a paint). Looking forward for your build!

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

• 4 weeks later...

So I've made a good start on getting the main aircraft built over the last week, Cockpit painted, etched added and main fuselage assembled.

What I am doing now is adding smaller parts that can be painted when attached to the fuselage and leaving things like airbrakes, undercarriage and pylons off until towards the end. 

In general, the fit is really good in most places, there is a little filler around the intakes and tail but this is more to tidy the areas and hide any small gaps.

Some photos below.

rVQivdJIMGJkdEPWyYc9V2zk6qFqXHeKmkCZlfT1

elYBg1_e25WHNWShf2ugV-uDfMswysur4BNoApOM

lKYhbelfA0vnH54JGSP8Ezxtk_cxruVqwgpyUzd5

jXimjBGmIGlAHkLEk-DLTr2klYgdhVsg7zis0XbI

Ql_XzEDQmBXAvGOIABl5Xf1DFwp1KR9hQ0iJDrH5

• Like 3