Arup S-2 Flying wing, scratchbuilt 1/72nd

A model from 5 years ago

Here is another Arup flying wing, this time the earlier -and smaller- S-2.
There were at least three different configurations and color schemes; here I am reproducing the one without the wheel fairings.

I have a great opinion of Bill Hannan and collaborators, my main source of info came via one article on Skyways magazine of January 1997, but I differ on the interpretation of the colors, and tend to believe, in spite of their explanations, that there were possibly three colors involved, red, black and aluminum. Just a personal interpretation, not more valid by any extent than theirs.

01.jpg

02.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

31.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

37.jpg

42.jpg

• Like 35

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

While watching that newsreel footage, a thought came to me.   Imagine that wing concept applied on a much larger scale, say a DC-3 or Ju-52?    In an alternate universe, perhaps it was...😉😀

Some scholars state that conventional designs are not necessarily the best for all uses, but more unusual arrangements would scare passengers and investors off. Look at Rutan: admired, but seldom copied or really mass-produced.

You know humanity: lowest common denominator. And we still have a soon-to-be ex-president (several, actually) to prove it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Nice, I have forgotten this one. But i wonder what was design target in original.

Thanks! I think the idea behind it was a safer plane, delaying the stall (at the expense of induced drag).

But hey, it flew like a charm!

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Oh, very cool! 

You cast quite a bright light on the Golden Age of aviation! 

Appreciated!

Well, that's the general ebil plan! :rofl: