We need new, good MiG-17...for conversion in this:

Aardvark

(just information for all fans of unusual projects...& Soviet aircraft 😉😎 )

544523_original.jpg

544800_original.jpg

545191_original.jpg

Hydroplane MiG-17....now you see all!

😎😁

No, it's not a combat plane, only testbed for hydroski projected big naval supersonic Soviet "America-bomber".

It didn’t get to the real plane, so you see only the model photo ... but this model is scary beautiful!

😲

I do not know,  what is more in it - terrible or beautiful!

😁😁

Therefore, someone must make a good, accurate, high-quality MiG-17 in 72nd scale😭

....so that someone would make such a this conversion detail set to him!😉😁

Resource photos:

https://afirsov.livejournal.com/402533.html#comments

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Hello, Serge

I doubt manufacturers will rush to put this one on the market. However, an ancient and terribly inaccurate MiG-17 PF from KP could be converted into ˝what-if˝ model if one is into masochistic model building. If I understood the article correctly, these MiG-17 were supposed to land on the ocean and had had their fuel replenished by a submarine? An interesting, if somewhat extreme cold war scenario. Cheers

Jure

Hi, Jure!

6 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I doubt manufacturers will rush to put this one on the market.

But why? As minimal, 

there is one "legendary"

manufacturer:

http://www.unicraft.biz

for modellers with strong nerves😁 and titanium character😉😁, he just specializes in such things!

6 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

If I understood the article correctly, these MiG-17 were supposed to land on the ocean and had had their fuel replenished by a submarine?

Not correct understand.

As written in article this float MiG-17 was only flying laboratory:

"The float MiG-17 was supposed to be just a flying laboratory for testing the heavy hydrospace of a supersonic hydroplane. When the runs in the hydrochannel showed that our only then jet flying boat, the R-1 Beriev*, did not have enough thrust to reach the “water” wing, it was decided to look for another solution. Calculations showed that if we remove the MiG-17’s armament, the wheeled chassis, some of the equipment, then when equipped with an infinite float and a hydraulic platform with a “wing of a stalling flow” (CS) and hydraulics, it is quite capable of acting as a “flying laboratory”. Work began in 1957 and advanced quite successfully.

According to the first results, a new project for converting the MiG-17 into a float plane appeared. But, the 57th year is the year of the start of the R-7**. It became clear that the concept of the long-range supersonic hydro-bomber concedes to ballistic missiles in many ways. Including it was not clear how to go to a rendezvous point with submarine-tankers, whether the crew could stay for a long time on the water in the ocean, waiting for the command "for battle", etc. Although most of the problems would probably have been solved, the cost of these solutions and operational difficulties were inferior even to the first generation of ballistic missiles.

Of all these projects of heavy hydro bombers, there remained only the realized Be-10 medium jet bomber - a smaller version of what they wanted to get at TsAGI. With a characteristic bomb bay, for dumping the “product”*** through a “well” at the bottom of the boat, the possibility of refueling from submarines and staying in standby mode on the water. The experience of his service showed great problems in operation, which ..."

Therefore, this MiG-17 project only testbed, but in the universe "What if?" nothing prevents to fasten guns to it!

B.R.

Serge

* - 

** -  intercontinental missile Korolev R-7 

*** - "product" as

allegorical meaning A-bombs.

Hello Serge

Well, this is a great list of unpopular, obscure small series aircraft, paper and computer memory projects, Luftwaffe 46 and beyond, what-ifs and some plain crazy kits. Although I find many of them interesting and some of them tempting I do not think I can muster enough courage and determination to actually start working on one, let alone finishing it. Thank you for the link and for translation of the article. Cheers

Jure