Mirage IIIC 1/48 Eduard Weekend

Baldy

Here is my Mirage IIIC from EC 02/010, Cazeaux in 1976. This was actually my first build of this year. I made an annoying mistake on this one - I intended to load a Matra 530C and bought a nice resin version but right at the end I realised I had used the wrong Keel (teach me to study the instructions better!) - So it remains unarmed.

I shortened the U/C and reangled the front wheel. I also cut and drooped the elevons which drooped on the real thing when at rest. I used a resin seat and various cockpit bits and pieces cobbled together from various places. The kit was not particularly easy to build with a few really awkward joints to hide e.g on the top of the wing and the tail. NM was various  alclad II shades over grey primer as I didn't want it to be too shiny. Weathering was with graphite and pastels. The kit decals were excellent.

4YGKLup.jpg

NQkSpVX.jpg

6NJW6Vo.jpg

pAUIcin.jpg

F5yJvbI.jpg

• Like 35

Really like that. I've built a few Mirages (mostly in 1/72) so I can see you've put in a lot of work on panels & frames to get a realistic look. Love the remains of previous markings on the fin, and the way you've got that red trim to look. Good one.

• Thanks 1

Lovely build - the Mirage III is one of my favorite jets and your model does represent the type perfectly. The only thing you could do to make it look better: using Swiss decals 😉

Cheers,

Michael

PS: some models look just right unarmed - yours is one of them

• Haha 1

Thank you all for your kind comments.

17 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi

This is a very nice built of this 02/010 Seine fighter, usually based at Creil AFB (North of Paris) and for just a gunnery campaign at Cazaux AFB.

Patrick

Thank you for correcting me - I didn't know that.

17 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Really like that. I've built a few Mirages (mostly in 1/72) so I can see you've put in a lot of work on panels & frames to get a realistic look. Love the remains of previous markings on the fin, and the way you've got that red trim to look. Good one.

The remains of previous markings are provided as decal in the kit but I thought it would not look right so I masked off the area and sprayed a different shade of Alclad.

16 hours ago, toniosky said:

Very nice. Thumbs up for tackling the U/C as this is seldom seen !

Thank You - they look a bit tip-toe if uncorrected!

17 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Lovely build - the Mirage III is one of my favorite jets and your model does represent the type perfectly. The only thing you could do to make it look better: using Swiss decals 😉

Cheers,

Michael

PS: some models look just right unarmed - yours is one of them

Michael - Thank you - A Mirage IIIS is on my to do list at some point - saw them at Waddington a number of times and they look cool.

Cheers

Malcolm

2 hours ago, Baldy said:

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Thank you for correcting me - I didn't know that.

The remains of previous markings are provided as decal in the kit but I thought it would not look right so I masked off the area and sprayed a different shade of Alclad.

Thank You - they look a bit tip-toe if uncorrected!

Michael - Thank you - A Mirage IIIS is on my to do list at some point - saw them at Waddington a number of times and they look cool.

Cheers

Malcolm

Cool stuff Malcom - looking forward to it. Guess you know about the Kinetic kit which allows you to build the S o RS (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/991420-kinetic-k48058-mirage-iiis-rs)

Nothing cooler than Mirages IIIs over the Swiss Alps 😉

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Cool stuff Malcom - looking forward to it. Guess you know about the Kinetic kit which allows you to build the S o RS (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/991420-kinetic-k48058-mirage-iiis-rs)

Nothing cooler than Mirages IIIs over the Swiss Alps 😉

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Yes I know that kit, though I don't have one yet. I guess it is based on the IIIE kit which looks pretty good.

And yes - Mirages over the Swiss Alps must have been ultra cool. Back in my aircraft photograph days I always wanted to get to Axalp but sadly never made it.

Cheers

Malcolm

2 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Michael

Yes I know that kit, though I don't have one yet. I guess it is based on the IIIE kit which looks pretty good.

And yes - Mirages over the Swiss Alps must have been ultra cool. Back in my aircraft photograph days I always wanted to get to Axalp but sadly never made it.

Cheers

Malcolm

Yes, it is based on the IIIE kit. And it indeed looks pretty good. But until I will tackle it, I have to gain more experience. My current build level would not pay the kit justice...

Yeah, I too so far haven't been to Axalp but it's on my bucket list. Here a video from 2012 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Yes, it is based on the IIIE kit. And it indeed looks pretty good. But until I will tackle it, I have to gain more experience. My current build level would not pay the kit justice...

Yeah, I too so far haven't been to Axalp but it's on my bucket list. Here a video from 2012 

Well my advice is build it now - we never think we are good enough to do a kit justice and you might never get to it.

Great video. must be the only place in the world where you can hold a show like that. And what a great place to hold a show!!

19 hours ago, Baldy said:

Well my advice is build it now - we never think we are good enough to do a kit justice and you might never get to it.

Great video. must be the only place in the world where you can hold a show like that. And what a great place to hold a show!!

You are probably right mate - but a few more builds might not harm... believe me 😉 Probably first the 1/72 Mirage IIIC I have and then the 1/48 Hunter.

Indeed a cool place for such a show. To see it, it needs quite a walk up to the hill.... but the show rewards you I guess. Might go next year.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

Great looking Mirage III, nicely finished & detailed.

I've got the same kit on the go & was intending to do it in that scheme but my finishing left a bit to be desired & might not suit that scheme. Currently whacking some camo on it. D'oh!

Pete

• Thanks 1