Chance Vought F4U-1D Corsair - Tamiya 1/48

Hi everyone, to present myself i thought, why not posting some pictures of my finished models, so there you have it. This is my 1/48 Corsair "White 110" (wheel bay colour is not correct snd one of the landing gear is not perfectly flat, i corrected that after i took the pictures)

Extras:

-Decals are from Techmod

-Wheels are from Arma Hobby

I hope that you guys will like it ! Cheers from Italy👋

wPZuAGR.jpgIvPQnHn.jpgVnme0Ul.jpgpPfqb6K.jpgusu4ZrC.jpglA96yW3.jpg0Vx4aZ2.jpg

• Like 33

1 hour ago, WildeSau75 said:

Like it - looks very convincing to my eyes. Which colors did you use?

Cheers,

Michael

For the exterior I used "Glossy Sea Blue" and for the interior "Interior green"  both from Vallejo 

Very nice Corsair! Want to take the build up another notch? To prevent the right wing from dropping before the left one on approach to the carrier, a small v-shaped spoiler was fitted to the RH wing just outboard of the gunports.  The F4U-1D was the first version to have this spoiler installed on the assembly line, but earlier versions had wooden ones fitted in the field.  Can't believe Tamiya missed this! See the link below for a photo. Very few F4U-1 kits in any scale seem to have the spoiler, but it's very easy to make.

Mike

https://www.heraldnet.com/life/spoiler-alert-corsairs-contraption-solved-lift-loss-problem/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice Corsair! Want to take the build up another notch? To prevent the right wing from dropping before the left one on approach to the carrier, a small v-shaped spoiler was fitted to the RH wing just outboard of the gunports.  The F4U-1D was the first version to have this spoiler installed on the assembly line, but earlier versions had wooden ones fitted in the field.  Can't believe Tamiya missed this! See the link below for a photo. Very few F4U-1 kits in any scale seem to have the spoiler, but it's very easy to make.

Mike

https://www.heraldnet.com/life/spoiler-alert-corsairs-contraption-solved-lift-loss-problem/

Didn't know about that, many thanks 😄

10 hours ago, Giangio said:

For the exterior I used "Glossy Sea Blue" and for the interior "Interior green"  both from Vallejo 

Grazie Giangio - doesn't  look that Glossy to me but suits the model perfectly.

Cheers,

Michael

44 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Grazie Giangio - doesn't  look that Glossy to me but suits the model perfectly.

Cheers,

Michael

Because at the end I sprayed a coat of Matt varnish 

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

The part is in the box, not sure what number though..

Thanks for the correction, Grey- I only have 1/72 Corsair kits, and none of my Tamiya F4U-1's came with it. I made one very easily from a piece of plasticard that was scored and bent into a 'v' for my FAA F4U-1 model. It was a neat little touch to add to the model, which I never really noticed in photos until it was pointed out to me at an airshow many years ago, and later on I read about it..

Mike

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I think the paint work looks just right to me for a well used Corsair. Salt air would have had an effect on those planes.

I thought the same thing when I was painting the aircraft, I always like to do a bit of weathering, just to make the details and rivets pop up

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

8 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

The part is in the box, not sure what number though..

I looked at a picture of the sprues and you are right, i think that I saw that piece. Don't remember why I didn't added it during the building stage

5 hours ago, Giangio said:

I looked at a picture of the sprues and you are right, i think that I saw that piece. Don't remember why I didn't added it during the building stage

Your post prompted me to check my 1/72 Tamiya kits, and they all have the spoiler molded on the RH wing, with instructions to remove it as needed on the  F4U-1 birdcage kit instructions, as not all of them had the spoiler fitted in the field. None of the 1/72 Hasegawa F4U-1's have it, as I had to make one for my FAA birdcage Corsair.

Mike

• Like 1