British Airways Tristar

Thank you all again for your responses here. I spent a few hours on the L1011 this weekend while focusing my time on a A320 which is going up on the WIP pages on the forum today too.

I have completed the wings and stabilisers now and have floated the Nazca decals onto them all. The RB211's are all painted up and just need decaling up later this week. Inbetween all this weekend work, I also managed 2 parties and a hangover.

DSCF8260

DSCF8267

They don't photograph too well but there are Hasegawa's 4 shades of recommended metallic shades on these RB211's

DSCF8274

DSCF8276

DSCF8277

If you like A320's or bright orange budget airlines, take a look in the new WIP page I am putting up today (another 1/200 build)

And, thanks again for following here

John

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

Those dropped flaps have really brought the wings to life, very busy!I

Are you going to paint your fuselage or use the decals? 

Looking forward to more.

Cheers,

Ian

Cheers Ian

That's a good question. I certainly wont be using Hasegawa's original dark blue under belly decal and will use either Humbrols dark blue enamel in an airbrush or similar in acrylic but BA's Negus blue is different to that used present day so I may have to get creative and produce a special brew mix. The top of the L1011 is being airbrushed in thinned humbrol enamel white and then being sanded and polished in between coats - I can almost see my reflection in it after 3 cats and I suspect a 4th and 5th will be needed as they have to go on very thin.

I have sprayed the old decal sheet with a gloss lacquer to try and hold the decals together but I am intending to use parts of my 26Decals 1/144 Negus BA Viscount decal set as they scale well in 1/200 for the speed jack logo and main livery wording. The tail plane flag is yet to be worked out. I have Nazca Decals detailing set for all the doors and windows etc so none of those bits will be used from the original decal sheet as they have faded and are very poor detail compared to today's aftermarket decal standards. I am going to keep the kits registration as I flew on her several times when my dad first flew BA's L1011s according to his old log books

Hi John,

As I'm having a bit of a Negus fest at the moment I have what I think is a perfect mix for Negus Blue. 4parts Tamiya X3 Royal Blue to 1 part Tamiya X16 Purple. The X3 Royal Blue would probably work by itself but I feel the addition of the purple just adds a bit of warmth.

My Negus 737-200 is ready to photograph so will be in RFI as soon as we have a bright enough day to take some pics, then it's on with the TriStar!

Cheers,

Ian

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, Turbofan said:

Hi John,

As I'm having a bit of a Negus fest at the moment I have what I think is a perfect mix for Negus Blue. 4parts Tamiya X3 Royal Blue to 1 part Tamiya X16 Purple. The X3 Royal Blue would probably work by itself but I feel the addition of the purple just adds a bit of warmth.

My Negus 737-200 is ready to photograph so will be in RFI as soon as we have a bright enough day to take some pics, then it's on with the TriStar!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the Negus blue tips - I'll give it a go if my local shop has the purple in stock. I have the Hasegawa 1/200 old 737 in BA Negus which I am starting soon and hope to take both the L1011 and 737 as a pair of Negus's to my Feb model club competition- I'll get pictures up as and when both are completed and look forward to seeing yours once you have enough light to shine on it!

Hi Tristar followers.

Some updates for you below. I had a bit of a crisis at the weekend when airbrushing the 6th coat of gloss white over the fuselage left me having to sand it back and start again (TIP: never airbrush with the workshop door open while it is snowing outside!!). Here's where I am, jus ahead of going BA Blue on the lower fuselage belly.

On with the undercarriage now that the hubs are already silver. Masking added using my RP Toolz punch set

DSCF8300

DSCF8308

DSCF8312

DSCF8314

DSCF8315

Engine 2 painted in Alcad II Stainless Steel

DSCF8316

DSCF8317

DSCF8318

Nazca Decals wing and engine detailing decals used here - engines 1 & 3 ready for wing attachment

DSCF8319

DSCF8320

And as she is now, masked out for the BA Blue belly

DSCF8322

Thanks for following along still

John

• Like 5

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, Turbofan said:

Which paint did you use John?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

I am not a fan of airbrushing thinned enamels but on this occasion Humbrol White and Humbrol Blue (15 I think without checking) - normally I use a appliance white rattle can or Mission Models Gloss White but I decided on this kit to work in spirit based colours as a test. I can't say I enjoyed the experience much

This classic old tri-jet widebody has hit the slow down lane of the production line having been overtaken by my Qantas 767. I have been working on the L1011 intermittently and have just started to add the fuselage decals. I am using the Nazca Detailing set here along with the very old original decals from the kit - these have had to be lacquered over to hopefully hold them together.

Perhaps not the straightest of lines on this one which is annoying given the love and care put into the masking - perhaps I wont use 1mm wide tape for the very border edge of the dividing paint line next time as it has not given a straight line despite the tension I used when applying it along both sides of the fuselage 

DSCF8377

Engine 2 fitted

DSCF8379

DSCF8386

DSCF8387

DSCF8388

• Like 4

Decals mostly done - just about ready for final assembly now

DSCF8389

DSCF8390

sanding off those raised panel lines may have been an oversight - I had nothing to use as a guide for lining up the Emergency Cut Here panels so used tape as a guide instead

DSCF8391

DSCF8392

DSCF8394

• Like 3

The kit is finished now and will be posted up on the RFI forum pages shortly

Here is the final furlong before being given a good polish and wash down to get all the excess drips of Micro sol/set off

DSCF8435

DSCF8436

DSCF8450

DSCF8459

Thanks for following along - a fun kit all in all

Looking back with hindsight, the next time I choose to make a flaps and slats deployed variant in 1/200, I will use plasticard rather than re-use the cut out wing parts as the scale leaves the finished result looking very clunky

John

• Like 6

BRAVO, John!!! Love this feed...and really really love the details of your build of a beautiful model. Very few birds are as majestic and command respect as the L-1011, and you have done her some amazing justice here. I must agree that the to-scale cut out flaps from the kit make it looks slightly "clunky," but certainly NOT distracting. You did a marvelous job on the wings. The Nazca details, though I have found them to be a little tedious and finicky at times, really make the model pop into realism. At 1/200 scale, your eyes must be a bit tired and droopy by the end of your work session. Job well done...looks so good. :clap2:

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

BRAVO, John!!! Love this feed...and really really love the details of your build of a beautiful model. Very few birds are as majestic and command respect as the L-1011, and you have done her some amazing justice here. I must agree that the to-scale cut out flaps from the kit make it looks slightly "clunky," but certainly NOT distracting. You did a marvelous job on the wings. The Nazca details, though I have found them to be a little tedious and finicky at times, really make the model pop into realism. At 1/200 scale, your eyes must be a bit tired and droopy by the end of your work session. Job well done...looks so good. :clap2:

cheers very much - glad you liked the kit - its such a shame that Hasegawa never made a -500 variant of the Tristar as I would love to have a crack at the BWIA steelpan livery

• 2 weeks later...