British Airways Tristar

Anyone remember this when it first hit the shelves nearly 39 years ago? Mine is dated 1980 and from memory, when newly released this particular liveried kit did not spend that long on the UK shelves before Hasegawa rolled the kit out in alternative liveries and put an EOL to the BA livery. I think they only released 2 of their new Love Liner 200 series in the BA Negus & Negus colours - this L1011 and the Super 737.

In 1/200 scale, this typical Japanese quality moulded kit is delicious and very accurate when compared to the attempts other vendors went on to release in 1/144 (excluding the new Eastern Express 1,2 and -500 version kits in 1/144) of the Tristar. Throughout the 80's and 90's, I was always amazed at Hasegawa's determination to have the modeller apply huge decals as opposed to paint the obvious large areas of coloured livery coverage and this kit is a great example of just that. I would not have tried to use the belly decals provided with this kit in 1980 let alone now, now that they are 38 years old and would probably crumble as soon as they touched water despite any attempt to lacquer them before use.

I started this kit last week while the other 3 Hasegawa 1/200 civil builds that I am working on were drying off so it's a bit of a production line inbetweener for the moment. I am contemplating major surgery and building this lovely old lady with her flaps and slats on show. When completed, this little lady will take up the same display footprint as 3 or 4 of the same would in 1/144, and should still reflect all the glorious beauty those wonderful widebody tri-jets brought to our old skies.

Thanks for looking in - while just barely started, here is where things are:

DSCF8189 (2)

DSCF8190 (2)

DSCF8192 (2)

John

• Like 9

Hi John,

Oh yes I remember this kit it's a beauty! Apart from that belly decal, what we're they thinking? Why didn't they go the whole hog and include a decal for the white areas too!! Wow, 39 years ago that's scary.

I've got one of these on the go in 1/144 so it'll be interesting to compare once they're both done.

Looking forward to following this build.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Interesting, this.  On a flight to Marbella, circa 1978, a young Meatbox got to sit in the 'dickie' seat, headphones on, as the BA Tristar he was on came in to land.  Talk about exciting.  Don't think many kids get that opportunity these days, sadly.  It could have been the very aircraft you are building a model of.

Edited by Meatbox8
Grammar

Really nice seeing this. Brings back fond memories, I had a few namely the Alitalia, KLM DC-10s the air india 747 and few others...still have a thai airbus from this series....really nice to see one built

never had the tristars ....tracking yr build with anticipation

cheers

Thanks for the encouragement and interest in this build chaps.

Reflecting back to when I had the mad idea to build a 1/144 L1011 with flaps and slats deployed many a year back, I think I swore an oath never to try it again - being a gluten for styrene punishment, I have broken my oath and taken the plunge to try the same again in 1/200 - I wish I had never started the task as the scale greatly enhances the challenge and there is a lot of scratch build work going to be needed to complete the flap guide runner pillars soon. 6 hours of plastic and Swann Morton surgery yesterday got me this far.

As you will see, its quite a long process and that plastic of Hasegawa's is tougher than an out of date dry Weetabix - the tip of my right index finger is numb today...

DSCF8219 (2)

DSCF8220 (2)

DSCF8219 (2)

DSCF8221 (2)

DSCF8224 (2)

DSCF8225 (2)

DSCF8228 (2)

DSCF8229 (2)

DSCF8230 (2)

DSCF8231 (2)

and a quick test fit of the wing and the first stage of the port side window filling stage completed - another run over with filler still required

DSCF8232 (2)

Starboard side window filling process started

DSCF8223 (2)

My plan is to make the wing conversion a discreet modification without letting the thickness of the plastic make the completed result look out of scale and clumsy so I may have to completely rebuild the flap bars with thin plasticard from scratch later on - we'll see I guess once the flap deployment support pillars are on

Thanks for following - if you are a share holder of Swann and Morten, watch them increase in value while I am burning my way through them on this build.

• Like 7

Epic bit of makeover work on the wings, @Gimme Shelter.

Love what you achieved so far.

I picked up a little set of saw blades last year.... I'll try to get a picture of them.

They came in the form of a steel frame, looking just like a PE fret.

Saved me a lot of blade cutting time..

This is going to look superb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loving it! Threads such as this, and your other one, help make my transition from war and war machines that much smoother. 

Dennis 

• Thanks 1

Here's the saw blades fret I was saying about.

Prob no good on anything else but plastic, but fine enough to cut between aileron side and wing or flap etc.

I successfully parted a one-piece canopy moulding with'em!

IMG_20190102_175632

Edited by rob Lyttle
add pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

This is going well John. I am wondering if I could make the same mods to my Airfix Tristar?

:popcorn:

HI RAY

As these flaps seem to be of more interest than I had anticipated, I have trawled through my archives and dug up all my old photos of how I undertook the process. My apologies if the WIP process photos are not in sequence but retrieving data from photobucket and uploading into Flickr is like mixing enamel with acrylics.

I guess so as the Airfix L1011 is 1/144 and no different than the conversion I made in the same scale many years ago (although that was a pirate resin rip-off that later turned out to have been cast from Welsh Models -500 variant).

If it helps, here is what I did in 1/144 and it was a bit of a bitch of a scratch build journey leaving me sworn on oath never to try the same...…. but like most modellers, we never learn from our ambitions! Don't panic, you can also get the same detailing set decals from Nazca Decals who seem to have a devout love for fine detailing of the L1011. They provide body and wing sets which add the finishing touch.

DSCF4572_zps90d56193

DSCF4595_zpsf023c204

DSCF4606_zps000902d7

DSCF4605_zps6eccde0c

And this was how I did it and I guess how you can also do so with your old Airfix Superking L1011.

As best as I can in order of assembly...

DSCF4476_zps7948c3ad

DSCF4479_zps96542c93

DSCF4481_zps2d778727

DSCF4480_zps58bd5cdc

DSCF4482_zpsb1ca0c77

DSCF4483_zps3f3ce0a1

DSCF4485_zpsbbf25d54

DSCF4487_zpsb50e4149

DSCF4490_zps37f488e2

DSCF4484_zps11c4e1cc

starting the kruger flaps /slats process now

DSCF4492_zps1095bb72

DSCF4493_zpsa662d28e

DSCF4494_zps2e9fc913

DSCF4495_zps3b800a9e

DSCF4496_zpsbd80618f

DSCF4498_zps38e5d485

DSCF4499_zps753bab3d

DSCF4503_zps31ba1551

DSCF4500_zpsbe4029a2

DSCF4502_zps16d311f3

DSCF4504_zps4b75b6f1

DSCF4525_zps0f5007b0

DSCF4549_zps0f13d3cf

DSCF4581_zps3bfc855f

Good luck to you on your Airfix conversion - if you need further guidance, run a quick Google Image search for 'L1011 Flaps' and you will find a good number of pictures taken from behind the back of the rear wing root.

John

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2018 at 00:03, pommie commie said:

As for the box art..........Inverness!

Can't remember if it need an 'S' duct for #2 engine............

It did, and R-R Hucknall had a slave ‘S’ duct manufactured for cross wind testing. The standard development (and production) testing was done at Derby, and the altitude testing done at Pyestock NGTE, adjacent to RAE Farnborough. 

P.S.

For those thar aren’t aware, the Tristar only had one engine choice, the R-R RB211-22b. 

Edited by Bill.B

Thanks for following this build so far to those that have commented and joined the build.

Hasegawa really got the shape of their Tristar nose spot on all those years ago - its one of those shapes that is either perfect or looks instantly questionable. And the fit of the clear part was perfect, even though I will be using a decal. I do need to finish filling the passenger windows in properly as I don't want decals sinking into recesses as did on my recent 1/200 747-400D

DSCF8234 (2)

DSCF8233

and with the majority of the flaps and slats work now ready, here she is this afternoon

DSCF8235

John

• Like 6

Some updates for those following

second swipe at filling the windows in

DSCF8242

DSCF8245

Starting work on the RB211 Rollers

DSCF8246

2nd prime and sanded

DSCF8248

3rd primed coat and polished up ready for the top Gloss enamel white