Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf D 7. Panzer Divison.

Threadbear

Afternoon all, here is my project for this GB, Tamiya`s Panzer IV from around 1977. Here are the usual sprue shots plus instructions. 

I have made a start on the kit, filling in injection marks and the motorisation holes in the lower hull. I havent loaded that progress into flickr yet but will do so in the next day. The plan is to do a Ausf d from the invasion of France in May 1940 belonging to Rommels 7. Panzer Division,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20279230@N02/44494732170/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20279230@N02/45398821795/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20279230@N02/45398821795/in/dateposted-public/

• Like 1

Hi Grahame. Good to see you here with your Tamiya PzIV project.

With regards your photos - if you click on the up and right pointing arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the Flickr page with your photo on and select the BBCode tab - chose a suitable image size (not too large - 1024x768 will do) - copy the BBCode link and paste it in your thread you should get:

44494732170_d8790f20ac_b.jpgTamiya Panzer IV Ausf D by Grahame Bredbere, on Flickr

Once you Submit your reply.

Kind regards,

Stix

I haven't got one of these kits but, seeing as Tamiya kits are usually fun to build, I may have to treat myself at some point. As I have said to other builders of this kit in this GB - I will be interested to see how it compares with the Ausf.D I'm building.

Kind regards, Stix

Here are some photos of my progress with Tamiya's early Panzer 4. All the motorisation holes in the lower hull were filled using Vallejo plastic putty and rubbed down smmoth with wet and dry. Did the same with the underside of the upper hull. Also have assembled all the road wheels, sprockets and idlers. Added the suspension units and returns rollers to the hull along with the black plate. I feel now that the most monotonous part of a tank build is now over! 

46459652012_b999ee7d93_b.jpg45787796664_03bcd12801_b.jpg

45787796424_11c9e4e55e_b.jpg45598124575_1df457cc77_b.jpg31571498927_2a21d69c26_b.jpg31571498957_dc0ef9d21e_b.jpg

Hope you like what I have done so far and any comments welcome. 

Grahame 

Edited by Threadbear
hadnt finished post.
  • Like 5

Hi Grahame,

It's always good to get the under-gubbins out of the way. Even more so if you're doing a 3 colour camo scheme! So think yourself lucky!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

yes, this one will be in the early Dunkel Grau scheme, but the running gear of an AFV always takes up a decent amount of time. Amazing how much a photo shows up of what needs cleaning up of the parts. All the dust!!  Thanks for your comments. 

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Grahame. The hull tub and wheels look to have gone together well - as you'd have hoped from Tamiya.  :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

The hull has gone together well. Amazing really that this kit is 40 years old. Assembled the exhaust and generator exhaust along with the smoke candles, along with the idler adjusters. Somewhat fiddily! 

Grahame

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Grahame. Just wondering if there has been any progress with this project?

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix! As you can I have done some work on the Ausf D, just hadn’t updated the thread! Basic hull is now complete and now need to make a start on the turret and hull fitting. Going together really well. The dark grey plastic really shows up all the dust from filling and sanding etc. 

45615484025_d04ae76432_b.jpg

32799514748_fa41ac4f43_b.jpg

32799514718_b907050e81_b.jpg

45949981734_7811befe2c_b.jpg

Edited by Threadbear
Tidying up.
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Grahame. Great to see there's been more progress. It looks to be going together well. :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

For saying this kit harks back to the 70s,it don't look bad for it at all, good job on the build so far grahame

Thanks for the positive comments. I need to get some a bit more done on this week!!! 

• Like 1

A bit more progress on the Ausf D building up the turret on nightshift yesterday. Goes together well although some of the finer parts need some cleaning up as is expected for a kit originally issued in 1977. Some more cleaning up is required of the turret. Then the hull fittings then ready for some paint! 

Some photos. 

46873438371_b5e72a2374_b.jpg46821596002_039f5af922_b.jpg46821595842_9c1307e642_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments. 

Grahame

Edited by Threadbear
adding photos.
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello the Panzer IV Ausf D is nearly finished from a build point of view but isn’t going to be completed by the finish date. I will post some pics soon. February is a busy month for me. 

Edited by Threadbear

Hi Grahame. Glad it's progressing but what a shame it won't be finished in time for the Gallery. I look forward to seeing the current photos but feel free to keep updating us with any progress after the GB has finished.

Kind regards,

Stix