Clear Coat Query!

Oberleutnant

Merry Christmas folks!

I have a query in regards using two difference gloss clear coats from different manufactures and whether they are compatible. 

Specifically, I have sprayed my model with Humbrol acrylic gloss varnish (rattle can - AD6035) for the first coat.

I have now applied decals and want to add the second coat of gloss to seal before weathering.

However this Humbrol product says only spray at room temperature or a well ventilated room.

I don't have anywhere internally well ventilated and its around 4 degrees outside which I fear will ruin my plane (FW190) if I start spraying.

I have also bought Vallejo gloss varnish (70.510).

Can I apply the vallejo gloss by paint brush over the Humbrol spray gloss or will it go horribly wrong?

I'd love to know because otherwise am I meant to wait until spring before I can use the Humbrol spray again?!

They are both acrylic, I don't see there being any issues.  But just in case spray them on a test piece of plastic or card, the amount you need for this is very small, just open a window use the can couple passes job done.  The Humbrol site states drying time 15 - 30mins, perhaps leave it for a few hours them go over with the Vallejo leave it over night see what you get in the morning.  

Edited by Kev The Modeller
  • Like 1

You should be OK to overcoat, the Humbrol spray cans use a more volatile solvent than their water based acrylic paints, which is why they have the warning on spraying. The Vallejo varnishes are water based, so shouldn't affect the underlying coat at all (But a test piece is always advised!)

• Like 1

Appreciated gentleman, thank you.

The model has taken me a year to get where it is so I would be pretty devastated if it went tits up now!

I'm also a little conscious of brush strokes using the vallejo - could ruin what is quite a nice finish.

I think I'll either do a test or work out some way of spraying indoors - spray with nozzle pointing outside the front door or something!