Nieuport 11, Paul Tarascon, Escadrille N62

SUB-SAM

I wasn't quite ready to do more to the Taube (I've done well and want to build my skill before rigging) so I decided to start something else.

With the wife away for the weekend I wanted to do as much as I could.

Due to this I haven't taken as many progress shots to show you, but most of you know what I'm about now. 

2n9j8mh.jpg

scywc2.jpg

2dh71o6.jpg

28a7p53.jpg

• Like 6

The Le Rhone 9C is a little better than my last one.

I've developed a new technique for canvas shading, instead of using oil washes (which were taking forever to dry properly)

I use a mixture of saliva, water and dye, it doesn't sound nice but saliva has the perfect weak surfactant and weak fixotropic properties.

You paint it on the surface and rather than flooding, it strays spread out more and sinks more gently into low spots.

It looked absolutely fantastic the first time, unfortunately the coating is extremely weak (as you can imagine) until you overcoat it with acrylic.

I ended up touching the top wing and then had to somewhat repair it and it doesn't look at good.

The decals in the last photo have just been given decal solution, if you're wondering what the bumpy bits are.

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 3

The decals have bedded down nicely now.

The kit cowl was to short, so I lengthened it according to scale plan, but somehow now it looks too long.

What do you guys think? It wouldn't be to hard to cut and trim (a fraction of a mm in this scale)

k0rey8.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

First bit of modelling I've done this year, I'm so busy...

Nice shiny cowling, and a mishap with the wing, which is of no consequence. I broke it whilst shaving the cowling impossibly thin.

34s14eh.jpg

I used AK interactive xtreme metal aluminium it seems to do a great job. 

Looking at this photo now I can't believe how thin I got the cowling to look in this scale.

• Like 1

As it will soon have it's wheels and I can attach it to the base for final assembly and fine details I have made the base.

My standard 1/144 base for all of my builds.

This is an edge of sand dunes vignette.

No idea if Paul Tarascon ever flew his nieuport into such an area but it gives variety over what would be otherwise boring old airfield grass. 

20190130-224824.jpg

20190130-225159.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

Yes I have the bad habit of using my thumnail as a paint palette

Is that what’s called a thumbnail sketch?

:coat:

AW

Rigging done, prop on.

20190204-190824.jpg

Only the machine gun on top and it's finished.

I'll save that for another night, the rigging really took it out of me. 

I think I'll definitely do something other than a ww1 aircraft next. I have a variety of ww2 subjects available which should be more therapeutic to make than biplanes. 

• Like 3

I was convinced this was 1:72 at first, but then I realised that it's actually 1:144??? That's insane! Not surprised the rigging of it drained you, I'd have struggled even to get the fuselage together!

28 minutes ago, clive_t said:

I was convinced this was 1:72 at first, but then I realised that it's actually 1:144??? That's insane! Not surprised the rigging of it drained you, I'd have struggled even to get the fuselage together!

I swear I could do a 1/72 that looks the same quality in a 10th of the time this took.

In this scale it's a case of making the same part 4 times over until it fits right, then it pinging off and having to make it again.

But there's plenty of really good 1/72, 1/48 models out there, it's nice to do something challenging/different. 

The rigging was especially challenging, I used 0.048mm Lycra which I have to prime the ends using polyurethane primer before dipping in CA or it curls up on you. 

I've used wire previously which was much easier but couldn't be made to look taught easily at all.