Rules?

Baldy

Hello

Sorry if this makes me sound like a muppet but where do I find the "Standard Group Build Rules"?

I am a new member and I am looking to maybe participate next year.

I have done a search and found loads of references to "Standard Group Build Rules" but I can't easily find them anywhere.

Cheers

Malcolm

Hello @Baldy There are some standard rules such as nothing can be entered with more than 25% started or completed. No selling/buying in the build area. Then there are specific rules stated by the Builds host specific to that build. I have three builds im either hosting or co-hosting over the next 18 months, with a 4th possibility in my Mk.V Panther build gets one more sign-up.

If i can answer specific questions i will try. You could also can go to the build you’re interested in, and ask the host. Start by posting in the build thread and get there attention. Or you could get specific like this. @Corsairfoxfouruncle I have a specific question about your build, then just ask your question.

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Yes you must show your work, its just a way to say im not sneaking in a built model. The photo hosting sites are usually easy to understand. I was able to figure out Imgur so that says something. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2018 at 8:29 AM, Baldy said:

Hello

Sorry if this makes me sound like a muppet but where do I find the "Standard Group Build Rules"?

I am a new member and I am looking to maybe participate next year.

I have done a search and found loads of references to "Standard Group Build Rules" but I can't easily find them anywhere.

Cheers

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

As Dennis has said the rules are pretty basic and very similar for GB's and STGB's. I've hosted quite a few of both of these types of GB's and I generally cut-n-paste the basic rules for each one.

Below is a basic set for the F-16 STGB I hosted last year, all GB's will be very much the same. They'll have the dates, subjects allowed and just any extra details you may need to know.

#1 - The Group Build will run from 00:01GMT Saturday 7th January to 23:59GMT Sunday 9th April.

#2 - The build subject is the General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon (it’s original name) and all of its model variations. Plus I will allow the Mitsubishi F-2 as it’s a F-16 on steroids!

#3 – The model can be any scale or build material (would love to see a resin one), but sorry no snap-tight models. Aftermarket stuff, go for it, you can add as much as you like.

#4 – All models must be less than 25% complete at the start of the build, if in doubt please ask me.

#5 - All builds must have a WIP thread showing progress, models cannot go into the gallery unless there is a build thread for them. If you are building two or more models, you may combine them into the same thread, if in doubt please just ask.

#6 - No buying/wanted or selling in the GB please, there is a buying and selling section in Britmodeller for this!

#7 - There will be a poll to vote for your favourite build at the end of the GB, but please do not canvas for votes.

#8 –No Whatif or Fictional schemes! Your build must have actually flown and the colour scheme must have been used, just ask if you are not sure.

As Dennis mentioned you do need to post some photo's of the builds progress as well. As you may already know, avoid Photobucket like the plague! There are some great free and really cheap sites that will host your photos. The help section on this site is a great place to find info on this.

Plus if you have any questions re the GB/STGB just ask the host, they'll be more than happy to answer and help you out.

But the main thing though with GB's is to have fun and enjoy the build with others, plus it's a good place to pick up great modelling tips and get help if you're stuck with a build of need extra info for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2018 at 10:57 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes you must show your work, its just a way to say im not sneaking in a built model. The photo hosting sites are usually easy to understand. I was able to figure out Imgur so that says something. 

Thank You Corsairfoxfouruncle.

4 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

As Dennis mentioned you do need to post some photo's of the builds progress as well. As you may already know, avoid Photobucket like the plague! There are some great free and really cheap sites that will host your photos. The help section on this site is a great place to find info on this.

Plus if you have any questions re the GB/STGB just ask the host, they'll be more than happy to answer and help you out.

But the main thing though with GB's is to have fun and enjoy the build with others, plus it's a good place to pick up great modelling tips and get help if you're stuck with a build of need extra info for it.

Thank You Rich

That is exactly what I needed.

It looks fun So I will have a go in the new year.

I use Imgur which seems easy enough - let's hope they don't try the photobucket trick! Just going to have to remember to take progress shots but I'm sure I will get used to it.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2

The GBs are an addictive place to hang out.  It's where I typically find myself hanging out even though my track record is far less than stellar (batting 0-3 so far 🙄).  It's a great place to find other modelers w/ similar interests.  I may be guilty of forgetting to check around the rest of the site.  😅

Also, fair warning...this place is also a prime candidate for triggering episodes of MPS (Model Purchasing Syndrome).....thanks @trickyrich !  😜

• Haha 1

a pleasure! :D

I know what you mean though for my it's often MMPS (Multiple Model Purchasing Syndrome) which is usually followed by LAMPS (Lots of Aftermarket Parts Syndrome). Oh and we don't talk about my Resin Addiction issue in public! :whistle:

22 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Below is a basic set for the F-16 STGB I hosted last year, 

Mind if i copy these and modify them for my Patton & Corsair builds ? 

9 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

a pleasure! :D

I know what you mean though for my it's often MMPS (Multiple Model Purchasing Syndrome) which is usually followed by LAMPS (Lots of Aftermarket Parts Syndrome). Oh and we don't talk about my Resin Addiction issue in public! :whistle:

What about HPFSS Rich ? (Hiding purchases from SWMBO Syndrome).

• Haha 1