Tamiya Brummbar - Update 03/01/2019

fatfingers

The camo is definitely better 2nd time around.

Personally, I'd have just 2 shurtzen on one side (with a space between them) and 3 on the other side, (2 together and 1 on its own)

But what's going on with the huge empty spaces at the bottom of some of your posts? This is a flagrant waste of paper!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

It also happens to me the same as you with german camos, I get a mess with the spots (free hand) and ends up leaving an unreal and ugly pattern, which makes me try to fix it (hopefully), and if not, to clean the kit and back to start.
Then there is the theme of the shades of colors, it never seems that I have the one I like, especially the Dark Yellow ...
Although it is obvious, we must bear in mind that weathering will look different, probably darker, something that usually happens to me ...

As you have said before, the second attempt I like more too...:popcorn:

Cheers mate :santa:

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve. Excellent work on the camo - it really works well now. I'd use a just a few (or one or two) sections of Shurtzen on each side - so as not to hide all the lower hull details.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

Small update. Got a gloss coat on in prep for the decals and weathering. The gloss coat was Tamiya X22 clear thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. First time I've done this and am more than happy with the results.

YXsZSlR.jpg

5yYl8aR.jpg

Got the decals on (forgot to take a pic) The scheme I was going for has 222 on the side, but had problems with the decals (yes I knackered them! :huh:) So had to go with the other scheme which should have Zimmerit applied. 

Mud glorious mud. This is pigment mixed with Vallejo pigment binder and applied with an old stiff brush. Once this has dried off it will be sprayed with earth coloured paint to tone it down and make it look like dried dirt (hopefully)

HEfVKOY.jpg

Decided to have a play with the figures too.

OBX6GN9.jpg

Z3bxBHH.jpg

The infantryman depicts the late war uniform with short boots and gaiters. Rummage in the spares box came up with a helmet with cam cover and also an entrenching tool. The kit supplied weapon is an MP40. I may substitute this with an MP44 but not sure yet. Now... a question. The instructions in the kit say to paint the crewman in black, but i'm of the belief that Sturm crews wore field grey uniforms - would this be correct? Search of t'interweb wasn't much help. Anyone know if they wore black or field grey uniforms? 

Many thanks,

Steve

• Like 6

Hi Steve. I'm afraid I cannot help with the uniform colour question but I am very impressed with your progress! Hopefully there will be someone who can help with the colour.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Thanks guys. 

Small update. Got a gloss coat on in prep for the decals and weathering. The gloss coat was Tamiya X22 clear thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner. First time I've done this and am more than happy with the results.

YXsZSlR.jpg

5yYl8aR.jpg

Got the decals on (forgot to take a pic) The scheme I was going for has 222 on the side, but had problems with the decals (yes I knackered them! :huh:) So had to go with the other scheme which should have Zimmerit applied. 

Mud glorious mud. This is pigment mixed with Vallejo pigment binder and applied with an old stiff brush. Once this has dried off it will be sprayed with earth coloured paint to tone it down and make it look like dried dirt (hopefully)

HEfVKOY.jpg

Decided to have a play with the figures too.

OBX6GN9.jpg

Z3bxBHH.jpg

The infantryman depicts the late war uniform with short boots and gaiters. Rummage in the spares box came up with a helmet with cam cover and also an entrenching tool. The kit supplied weapon is an MP40. I may substitute this with an MP44 but not sure yet. Now... a question. The instructions in the kit say to paint the crewman in black, but i'm of the belief that Sturm crews wore field grey uniforms - would this be correct? Search of t'interweb wasn't much help. Anyone know if they wore black or field grey uniforms? 

Many thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, I believe that they wore grey, same as stug crews..

Sam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How do chaps,

Many thanks for the comments. Just a small update.

The pigments and binder I applied t the lower hull just wouldn't dry in the shed so after a week or so the lower hull was brought inside and put in the airing cupboard (with permission from mrs fatfingers of course :kissing2:) They then dried out in less than a day and to be honest the lower hull just looked...... well, brown! :huh:

So it was back to the shed and I applied some GW textured paint to the lower hull which looks better.

C3FbrlR.jpg

Also gave the crew a quick squirt of matt black ready for the paint job later. Apologies for the dodgy pic.

bepw7ja.jpg

Leaving the mud to dry for a while cos I want to make a start on the Pz IVJ so will come back to this in a little while :winkgrin:

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve. Hope you are well. I'm just checking if you think you might have chance to get some more done on this project?

Kind regards,

Stix