Tamiya Brummbar - Update 03/01/2019

fatfingers

How do chaps,

Didn't originally sign up for this GB but after seeing some of the great builds going on and being prodded by Big X (cheers Steve :thumbsup:) I've decided to join in with this if I may?

nLAuOPL.jpg

Tamiya's recent kit. Not my usual fare but it tweaked my interest. Some sprue shots.

13nyN0H.jpg

OMTNKSZ.jpg

Some fantastic detail on the underside of the hull. Shame it will never be seen! :fraidnot:

6JsbJ9V.jpg

Started with the rear plate. This just fell together.

u4bYH9m.jpg

Same with the front plate.

wX9pnhY.jpg

Some really nice cast texture on the drive housings.

VEsIkJl.jpg

Exhaust is just dry fitted for now. Roughed it up a bit to add some texture.

p38HGJN.jpg

Springy bits added to the lower hull.

v3oQwvE.jpg

Wheels just dry fitted to see how they look.

JpL1l1t.jpg

This is shaping up to be a fast and easy build so far. Everything fits where it should and is nicely detailed. This is the 1st PzIV type I've built and I may have to purchase another Tamiya variant at some point :wicked:

Need to do a bit more re-jigging of the cave when my new paint rack arrives tomorrow (hopefully) and then I can motor on with this. 

Thanks for looking in.

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 10

Good to see you here Steve with what looks to be another excellent Tamiya kit. May have to get one of those myself! Very good progress so far.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Looks a nice kit....as always from Tamiya. And as you said Steve, they fall together. Surprised for Tamiya though to have the engine crank tool directly mouded as part of the armour plate at the rear. Usually only see that on smaller scale kits.

Looking good though, and a subject I really am interested in adding to the growing pile of intended builds.......😁

Keen to keep up with you on this one mate.

Looking good.

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Surprised for Tamiya though to have the engine crank tool directly moided as part of the armour plate at the rear. Usually only see that on smaller scale kits.

Hmmmm. I just came in to see if there was any photo update and discovered that my previous comment hasn't appeared. Possibly I fell asleep and only thought I'd pressed submit?

Sorry, but my diabetes sometimes sends me to sleep at the drop of a hat!

Whatever, I was going to raise the same point as Simon. Very odd behaviour by Tamiya. Personally, I'd have removed said 'abhorrance' and replaced it with a real one, either scratch-built, taken from another suitable donar kit, or ordered from Tamiya's After Market Service.

Still, the Brummbar is looking smart.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Badder said:

I was going to raise the same point as Simon. Very odd behaviour by Tamiya. Personally, I'd have removed said 'abhorrance' and replaced it with a real one, either scratch-built, taken from another suitable donar kit, or ordered from Tamiya's After Market Service.

Still, the Brummbar is looking smart.

Rearguards,

Badder

5 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Looks a nice kit....as always from Tamiya. And as you said Steve, they fall together. Surprised for Tamiya though to have the engine crank tool directly mouded as part of the armour plate at the rear. Usually only see that on smaller scale kits.

Looking good though, and a subject I really am interested in adding to the growing pile of intended builds.......😁

Keen to keep up with you on this one mate.

Looking good.

Simon.

How do chaps,

No apology needed Badder :winkgrin:

Thanks all for the comments. The crank handle is a separate part that fits extremely well to the rear plate. As a matter of fact EVERYTHING is fitting extremely well so far. 

Had an hour in the shed tonight with this and will post up some progress pics later this week. 

Now a question for the PzIV experts.... I've built up the rear deck and was wondering if mesh was fitted under the vented deck hatches and side radiator vents? I might add it anyway to give a bit of interest and also help to cover the void beneath :hmmm:

Regards 

Steve 

Edited by fatfingers

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

if mesh was fitted under the vented deck hatches and side radiator vents?

I doubt they'd have bothered with mesh under the deck hatches, if a grenade or whatever fell through the vents, mesh isn't really going to prevent possible damage to components. It would have made more sense to place mesh OVER the vents to stop the grenade or whatever falling through, so it would more likely roll or bounce off.  But I've not seen any photos of mesh over the vents. Nor have I seen photos of mesh over the side radiator vents. They are angled downwards anyway, so nothing would fall in.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Logic depicts no mesh for explosives. The general rule of thumb is that the blast travels upwards in anyways(unless you deal with something like c4 that blows down) so maybe for leaves etc bit it would have become a pain to clean as vents need to stay clean for engine cooling fire hazard etc. 

Hth

Regards:

Shaun 

• Thanks 1

How do chaps. 

Many thanks for the comments and advice in regards to the mesh :winkgrin:

As i mentioned in an earlier post I've had to re-jig the work space a bit. This was due to me buying a new extractor and having to sort the vent out. I moved the cupboard that holds my grown up tools in it into the far corner under the bench. I then fitted a leg to where it was to support the bench. The exhaust pipe is connected to the one off my old extractor and held up with drain pipe brackets. The compressor is now on the floor. Also had to get a new paint rack for my Vallejo and such as the vent pipe takes up the space where the wall rack were. Really happy with the space now as it means I can just spin from the building bit to the painting bit! :thumbsup: Now I've got a decent extractor I'm going to start thinning my Tamiya with Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner.

Ey48GrD.jpg

Any how... on with the build. Made some good progress yesterday and tonight. Got the hub caps on the wheels.

Xyqznwi.jpg

Built up the rear engine deck. Went together no problem at all. 

FEIm9VW.jpg

Dry fitted this with the exhaust. Nicely detailed area.

UJ89eTu.jpg

Front plate and other fittings added.

sLbtpXx.jpg

Also dry fitted the upper hull to see how it looks - rather nice me thinks.

AFgkL1q.jpg

Turned my attention to the main armament. The rifling is made up of 2 halves and 2 inserts. Was a bit of a faff to get lined up correctly but it seemed to have turned out ok. I stuck it on the end of a brush handle to help it set to shape.

DWsNjuV.jpg

ZNwe2NI.jpg

1vC7MdC.jpg

Support frame was then added along with 2 collars and the mantlet. This has some very fine cast texture to it.

jxuBSzC.jpg

Sight was added and then the whole assembly was fitted to the mount in the lower hull tub. This is on a 'bayonet' fitting and allows for free movement.

YXHf3Gc.jpg

Few bits and bobs added to the casemate. Again this has some really well done cast texture.

j6YYfoa.jpg

Dry fitted this to the hull to see how it looked. Basically clicked into place. Engine deck is just dry fitted. No gaps apparent!

xs7jmw0.jpg

saXYNvz.jpg

pp9Vp6x.jpg

Casemate lid glued into place. I'm going to spray the interior of this black as there is no detail or interior. I'll also spray the insides of the engine deck and air intakes too. The build is flying along and she'll soon be ready for paint at this rate.  

mFH50Yn.jpg

Hope to get some more done tomorrow and will post this up when I get the time.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 8

I'm loving this STGB. Some fantastic vehicles on show here and some lovely WIP, this being a prime example.

We all know who the 'neat and tidy, precision' modellers are, just from a single photo.

I fall into the 'dirty' category. There's plaster dust, crud, heaps of tools, mess, rubbish, detritus and more crud that's been on my table for over 6 months now.

I do envy those with a pristine work surface, cos it looks professional.

But then a again, if I want to add some mud to my model, I just scrape a ruler across my cutting mat and hey presto - loose earth!

i can't wait to see this Brummbar with some paint on. It's gonna look ace.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How do chaps.

Many thanks for all the comments :winkgrin:

On 12/21/2018 at 5:27 PM, FrancisGL said:

A nice progress, your study for the hobby is really cozy, no doubt invites to long sessions of assembly & painting...:popcorn:

Cheers mate :santa:

Thanks Francis. I often disappear in there and lose track of time and then have to be wheedled out by mrs fatfingers!

On 12/20/2018 at 7:39 PM, Hewy said:

Hallelujah that's a fine man pen Steve, constuction is coming along swimmingly too, nice tank, looks a must have kit👍

Cheers Hewy. It really is a fantastic kit.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:11 PM, Yetifan said:

Coming along a treat, you can’t beat a cool workbench pic 🙂

Thank you sir.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:46 PM, PlaStix said:

Really tidy modelling Steve - looking excellent! Looks to be a rather nice kit - might have to get myself one of them!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I can really recommend the kit. It just falls together.

Managed to make a lot of progress over the past few days. Started out spraying the interior and under the engine deck black due to lack of interior detail and that I'm planning to have the hatch open.

Ulbhk3K.jpg

iuWYl7r.jpg

When I was spraying I came across a bit of a problem due to the shroud on the spray booth not letting any light though, and the LED's I'd bodged not really cutting it. Quick trip to B&Q solved the problem. 6mm glass shelf and velcro tape. I made good the gap where it rests on the sides with draught strip intended for doors :wicked: Lots of light and with it being glass if any paint goes on it it will scrape off with a blade.

QwRm2So.jpg

Right... on with the build!

Various bits and bobs added to the front hull/glacis.

V7As75P.jpg

Engine deck and rear hatch fitted. No problems here.

2c4ozh7.jpg

Time for the jack. Total of 5 parts... unlike some of the other builds on here :P

BI9y2D4.jpg

And 30 seconds later....

gmmcNtT.jpg

Tiny hooks. Managed to lose one of these :mellow:

7T7o2T3.jpg

Spare wheel brackets. The wheels were just dry fitted to make sure the hangers 'hang' right whilst the glue dried.

4JOuEWH.jpg

Next up were the brackets for the shurtzen.

nU4eDAd.jpg

Rails fitted to these. Nice sturdy fit.

Xyj3Xe3.jpg

Popped the wheels on to see how it looked.

IumHFmz.jpg

Time to add the hangers to the side plates. The plates are numbered and lettered left and right so even i can't go wrong with it!

a1fdukb.jpg

Built up and fitted for a look see. 

SSeYhms.jpg

ZZGcWG4.jpg

8MLqWbd.jpg

Few more small bits and pieces were added and then it was time for some paint. Undercoated with Tamiya matt black. Took quite a bit of time to get this into all the various nooks and crannies.

nFwe0QE.jpg

dcNjguz.jpg

nFwe0QE.jpg

Once this had dried I put down a coat of Tamiya XF60 Dark Yellow. I've had this for years. It's in a large bottle and still has a Beatties label on it! I know there are more accurate Dunklegelb's out there but this is what I had to hand and I rather like the colour. Took an age to paint all them wheels!

XfCwBMx.jpg

hATzRLC.jpg

oNJvDHG.jpg

This is where I left off for today. Gloss coat next then decals and weathering. More to follow soon. 

Happy :humbug: to one and all.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 9

Hi Steve,

Fantastic progress. You'll have this finished by New Year at this rate!

One thing I noticed earlier, but have only now had the time to mention, is your fixing of the wheel hubs to the road wheels.

I don't know about you, but I paint the tyres when the wheels are stuck on the end of a toothpick.

And it's much easier if you can stick the toothpick in from either side, allowing you to paint the inner tyre just as easily as the outer tyre.

So, personally, I leave the hubs off until after the tyres have been painted.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

How do chaps and thanks for the comments... 

Been tinkering away with this for the past couple of days and here's where I'm currently at.

Road wheels with tyres painted.

7UBUA4r.jpg

Then turned my attention to spraying the camouflage on the main hull. Now this is the first time I've EVER done free hand camo and to be honest it's probably the main reason that I tend to shy away from late war German stuff :fraidnot: Early war is great cos its grey and mid war is also great cos it's dark yellow :wicked: First on was Tamiya XF64 Red Brown. This was well thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner and the pressure was cranked down a bit. Not too bad but had a fair bit of over spray which I intended to sort with the green.

Eg1OdRr.jpg

cvZ05Xj.jpg

1VERA79.jpg

rcnxQ53.jpg

Next up was the green. This was Tamiya XF58 Olive Green. Again thinned right down and sprayed at low pressure. 

vSb7qVH.jpg

V1xY09n.jpg

dWisHx4.jpg

FC22l74.jpg

Really wasn't happy with how it looked. Too much green and brown and nowhere near enough yellow. :fraidnot: Decided to crack open the XF60 again and try to tidy things up a bit. Besides if it all went wrong i could re coat the full model in the XF60 and try again.

LUtfrmu.jpg

jZFbsGP.jpg

That looks much better and the camo is more 'balanced' I have decided however not to go with the Shurtzen. Just can't seem to get it looking right and besides it covers the nice detail on the running gear.

Comments and advice more than welcome.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 7

Hi Steve, looking good. I agree with your decision on the camo certainly looks better balanced. Also agree on the skirts they hide a lot of what I’d going on and I will be leaving them off my Pz IV Ausf H.

• Thanks 1