Fujimi Fiat 500 (C)

JeroenS

2 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

Jeroen, nice detail so far, I am genuinely sad that there is no more build thread to read and see. (This is not a criticism) I have followed the thread in order not to miss future instalments. 

Coops

Not to worry, stay tuned for more. I'm just not that fast so you'll have to be patient 🙂 

Well, I've just finished "wiring" the seats and to be honest, I've surprised myself a little bit by pulling this off in such a way. I'm genuinely pleased with how they turned out. Hopefully they will still look good after I've painted them 🙂 

Harvey, thanks again for the tip of using X-22, it worked like a charm. I believe I also already mentioned my recently acquired Optivisors, these things are worth their weight in gold so to speak. Ha, this is beginning to sound like an Oscar speech... I'd like to thank my mum and dad, and the neighbour's cat, and... 

Enough of that, these are the seats as of this evening. 

20200207174939-6e873bfa-me.jpg

I used a 0.2 mm lead wire, it's actually very easy to handle and shape. The wires come in lengths of approximately 12 cm, which was just enough for 1 seat. "Pre-shape" the length of wire that you wish to fix to the seat, apply a bit of the X-22 on the seat, push down the wire with the tip of a cocktail stick, let it dry for a little while, and on to the next bit. If the painting goes well I'll certainly be using this method again. 

On a side note, something to share regarding photos: maybe you've noticed the varying backgrounds for the photos in this thread. Recently I've purchased a light box (well, more like a tent) and some lights to go with it. This is great for when you want to take some really nice pics of "the finished product" with a decent camera. But a bit of a drag to set up for every WIP "snap shot" taken with the phone (not the best camera in my case). However, I did want to make those snaps look a little better so at first I used my upturned cutting mat as background which is the grey background in some of the pictures before this one. However, not really a good solution as the cutting mat tends to be full of stuff...

So I made a small "ramp" from a bit of thin (but quite stiff) cardboard that fits on my (also small) work area. 

20220411165933-5310cf7a.jpg

I glued some thick black paper on the cardboard, and using steam and a wooden rolling pin (seriously) I bent the cardboard to make the ramp. 

On the back, I glued a support which sits on the light that I have clipped to my desk. 

20220411170036-fa8be07f.jpg

If I want a white background I just grab a sheet of paper from the printer and lay it on the ramp. Good to go! 

Thanks for watching (if you're still here 😉

• Like 7

Those seats are looking really good now, well worth the time and effort in creating them.

And I have to agree with you about the Optivisors (or equivalent) - I really couldn't add as much detail without them.

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2019 at 13:34, Alan R said:

Hi Jeroen,

I might try this for my Abarth 500 I will be working on soon (ish)...

Cheers, Alan.

Yes, why not 🙂

Here are the measurements for 1/24:

20200207175037-045323c7-me.jpg

• Like 2

Small part, small update: been fiddling with the headrest supports. They turned out alright I think. The headrests are not an absolute match with the real ones, but close enough for me. 

20200207174939-26802f99-me.jpg

I have the holes in the back seat drilled for one of them. The other one tomorrow, hopefully. 

• Like 5

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, JeroenS said:

39861569853_289b273385_z.jpg

Hi Jeroen,

What type of plastic pipe did you use?

I imagine that it's about 8mm diameter at a rough guess...

Cheers, Alan.

2 hours ago, Alan R said:

Hi Jeroen,

What type of plastic pipe did you use?

I imagine that it's about 8mm diameter at a rough guess...

Cheers, Alan.

It's 7.7! The tube is not Evergreen, I think it's Plastruct. Anyway the one where the tubes/rods/strips come in 1 meter lengths. 

15 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

It's 7.7! The tube is not Evergreen, I think it's Plastruct. Anyway the one where the tubes/rods/strips come in 1 meter lengths. 

Sounds to me like tube from the Maquett range, available in some UK model shops usually associated with RC kits.

26 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

Sounds to me like tube from the Maquett range, available in some UK model shops usually associated with RC kits.

Right, that's it! It's even a Dutch company I see now. 

17 hours ago, JeroenS said:

It's 7.7! The tube is not Evergreen, I think it's Plastruct.

Hi Jeroen, and others,

Thanks for the info. 8mm, not a bad guess, eh?

Cheers, Alan.

Test fitting the headrests. The angle will improve once I glue them in place. All in all, I'm happy with them.

20200207174939-031c1368-me.jpg

I want to fit seatbelts, and I've cut some small holes for the receivers. 

20200207174940-393f2da4-me.jpg

The plan is to stick the receivers, which I'll fix on a "bottom plate", through the holes and glue the plate to the underside of the back seat. I thought this would look better then just glueing the top of the receivers to the seat. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

It all looks very good, Jeroen...…….keep it up mate, you're gonna have a cracking little show-piece when done!!:clap2:

Thanks Harvey, it's the encouragements of all of you that make me go the extra mile. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves shall we 😉... A lot more still to do, and I think the outcome will also heavily depend on what I'll be able to do with the roof. 

• Like 1

Got some painting done today, very slowly. 

The tops of the front seats are done. That's 7 coats of Valejo white and one last coat with a bit of off-white mixed in. 

20200207174940-af8b2836-me.jpg

The back seat is all done, I think one more coat of read on the horizontal part (there are now 4 coats). The red is Vallejo Carmine red with a touch of Vermillion. I haven't decided yet whether it's too red (the photo shows brighter red because of the light, btw), but I can always add one darker coat. I think it's a good colour though.

20200207174940-7a999759-me.jpg

I don't exactly know what the handle-type thing above the seats is, it's not in the kit but it is in the actual car so I made it myself. 

There's even a little bolt there, and the whole thing even looks quite like the real one! 

20200207174941-cacba64f-me.jpg

I guess it's something for my 2 nephews to hold on to for dear life when my sister is driving 😋

• Like 5

A dry fit of the tub as it is now.

20200207174941-8bd3e861-me.jpg

Still to do (besides the dash, obviously): the white piping on the seats (I'll pick a nice calm day for that), the seatbelt retainers on the back seat, some parts in the center console. I'm thinking about the seatbelt retainers for the front seats, they are on the base of the seats in the real car, but the model does not allow that. I think I'll make them floor mounted. I think I'm also going to carefully fill in the "dimples" in the rear head rests, they should be a little shallower. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I took a small break from the Fiat because I wanted to do something else for a while so I've been busy in the AFV section with something small scale. Good fun. But today I thought I'd have a go a the seatbelt retainers on the back seat. I had already cut some holes in the seat and the plan was to create a small base on which the two retainers would rest, and then I'd stick them through the holes and glue the base to the back of the seat. And what do you know, the plan actually worked! 

Here's the base with the retainers on it. The photo is not of the greatest quality, it's made with my phone and it's zoomed in quite a bit. But you can just about see what I've done. 

20200207174941-054872d3-me.jpg

And here it is, glued to the back of the seat with the retainers sticking through. Again, zoomed in quite a bit so not entirely sharp but this was the overall effect that I was going for (the retainers, not the photo). 

20200207174941-43c6fb81-me.jpg

The difference in height is intentional by the way. It was a bit fiddly but I like how it's turned out. 

• Like 2

I added the seatbelt retainers for the front seats, added seatbelts to the back seat and glued the door cards in place. Still on the todo: white piping on the front seats (they're still dry fitted) and one last tidying of the back seat headrests. 

20200207174942-8e645405-me.jpg

• Like 4