Ryan M-1, Scratchbuilt 1/72nd.

A build from 6 years ago:

The Ryan M-1 and its successor the M-2 were the ground upon which more streamlined and refined later types stood. Lindbergh’s very Ryan NYP was a cousin of this sort of clumsy-looking planes. Many of them worked for incipient airlines and plied the Air Mail air trails, as it is the case with the subject modeled here. There was a version equipped with an HISSO in-line engine, which can be seen today at the Seattle museum. The radial versions had different powerplants, but the Wright J-4 seemed a common choice.

The chubby, stumpy, squarish, fridge-like lines have a unique charm, punctuated by details like the ice-cream cone-like landing lights and the exposed radial engine.

I just posted the build of a kit by Greenbank or Greenbank/Castle. It is a little bit heavy-handed, and scarce, but caters for both the in-line and radial versions, and has decals. The kit is dated 1971, and one may say it is not that bad for that vintage.

Every build present its challenges, and scratchbuilding more so. If the model is quite simple indeed, the polished swirls on the aluminum cowl and wheels are not easy to render. The nav lights, decals and other details required some attention too. I enthusiastically made a laminated prop that took a time, only to discover that the real prop wasn’t visibly laminated, so another one was carved. An interior was also added to spice-up the little boxy winged crate. The fuselage needed to be drilled in more than 20 places to accommodate struts, landing gear, control wires, etc. The visible tubular structure above the cockpits that supports the wing must be dealt with carefully. The plane fortunately is painted aluminum overall, but many areas should be treated with the previously-described burnished aluminum; that includes fuselage nose, upper cockpit area, front of central section of the wing and small square panels that cover the exit points of the wings aileron controls. Horns, cables, handles, nav lights, wires, coaming and the like were added to the exterior to make for a more realistic model.

This replica of the nice little cute lumbering fellow can now fly home.

r1+001.jpg

r1+002.jpg

r1+003.jpg

r1+004.jpg

r1+005.jpg

r1+006.jpg

r1+007.jpg

11.jpg

06.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

28.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

41.jpg

r1+008.jpg

r1+009.jpg

r1+011.jpg

r1+012.jpg

r1+014.jpg

r1+015.jpg

r1+016.jpg

r1+017.jpg

r1+018.jpg

r1+020.jpg

r1+021.jpg

r1+023.jpg

r1+024.jpg

rm1+005.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I just now discovered this build- sorry for being late.....I was just wondering; where is the lavatory? Hee hee! Seriously, Moa, I really, really like this model. You never cease to surprise and amaze us with each of your efforts! 👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
changed wording
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2018 at 10:36 AM, Baldy said:

Moa you really are spoiling us. Another superb little scratchbuild.

Cheers

Malcolm 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, Mmarchal said:

Real model building. Superb work.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:46 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

Brilliant! 

On 12/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, Courageous said:

Very nice and that wing attachment looks a bit fragile.

Stuart

On 12/16/2018 at 12:25 PM, replicant said:

Hello Moa,

you are real aerophile! Please don´t stop making that gems...

Cheers,

Tom

23 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

You've been going through your boxes again, Moa ;)... Exquisite :)

Martin

20 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I just now discovered this build- sorry for being late.....I was just wondering; where is the lavatory? Hee hee! Seriously, Moa, I really, really like this model. You never cease to surprise and amaze us with each of your efforts! 👍

Mike

11 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

The adjective 'superb' is devalued by being applied to each and every one of Moa's miniature masterpieces. So let me just say, 'not bad'. You know what I mean… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

10 hours ago, Piotr Sudnik said:

Chapeau bas! :clap2:

Thanks to you all for your kindness

Cheers