FV 432 - Telford Payback

BallsBuster

2 minutes ago, Rogue705 said:

Ahhh, we were the 80's. Road moves we had a flag (Blue I think) on lead vehicle of the column, Green (I think) on rear vehicle

Just Amber flashing lights for the REME if they were dealing with a broken down 432

We used the flags as well for convoys. But we didn't travel that way with AFV's on roads much in the UK. In fact, other than the driving course, we didn't do much road driving at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Bish said:

We used the flags as well for convoys. But we didn't travel that way with AFV's on roads much in the UK. In fact, other than the driving course, we didn't do much road driving at all.

5 Years in Paderborn (in what was then known then as West Germany) Lots of Road moves, lots of Rail moves

In fact, those were the good old days when you could dig a trench in some poor Germans garden 🙂

5 minutes ago, Rogue705 said:

5 Years in Paderborn (in what was then known then as West Germany) Lots of Road moves, lots of Rail moves

In fact, those were the good old days when you could dig a trench in some poor Germans garden 🙂

Now you can't even crap in the woods without doing it in a large blue plastic box.

Very tactical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bish said:

Now you can't even crap in the woods without doing it in a large blue plastic box.

Very tactical.

That must have come in after I left. Back then it was still the good old 'Shovel Patrol' 🙂

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Rogue705 said:

I remember those days well, most of the track mileage was on German roads, the amber winkypots came in around 1991, I can remember going to 

the SQMS to sign for them, after that the REME sparkies were wiring them up from the rear light cluster. They were removed once we got into the exercise

area and away from the public roads.

I did see on exercise, we were playing enemy during a Divisional  FTX ( Full Tac Exercise ) we had one road move as a convoy where we were going to pass 

a convoy of Chally tanks in a German village, the Chally Sqn was also our enemy. The exercise umpires deemed it not good sport for us to have a running gun fight whilst transiting 

through a small village, so we had to pass each other in a gentlemanly fashion. All good except the road wasn't wide enough to get a 432 and Challenger tanks down at the same time going in opposite directions.

We slowed down only to watch the challengers just cruise right over garden fences, hedges , gates and almost a few family pets :o,  you don't realise how wide a challenger 1 track is until you see the damage it does to a nice lawn.  Reckon the Damcon teams worked very hard that day !! 

The price of freedom I'm afraid :hmmm:

• Like 1

My time in one of these was with an EW Sqn. They always broke down at Sennybridge and required an ‘in the field engine change’! I moved to Pinzgauers and Jackals. 

Back to the build, it’s lovely to see one. And done exceptionally well too. Can’t wait to see it finished. I recommend a diorama with about 10 blokes having a smoke around it! 😂 

19 minutes ago, GrimReaper09 said:

My time in one of these was with an EW Sqn. They always broke down at Sennybridge and required an ‘in the field engine change’! I moved to Pinzgauers and Jackals. 

Back to the build, it’s lovely to see one. And done exceptionally well too. Can’t wait to see it finished. I recommend a diorama with about 10 blokes having a smoke around it! 😂 

14 Sigs ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

I remember those days well, most of the track mileage was on German roads, the amber winkypots came in around 1991, I can remember going to 

the SQMS to sign for them, after that the REME sparkies were wiring them up from the rear light cluster. They were removed once we got into the exercise

area and away from the public roads.

I did see on exercise, we were playing enemy during a Divisional  FTX ( Full Tac Exercise ) we had one road move as a convoy where we were going to pass 

a convoy of Chally tanks in a German village, the Chally Sqn was also our enemy. The exercise umpires deemed it not good sport for us to have a running gun fight whilst transiting 

through a small village, so we had to pass each other in a gentlemanly fashion. All good except the road wasn't wide enough to get a 432 and Challenger tanks down at the same time going in opposite directions.

We slowed down only to watch the challengers just cruise right over garden fences, hedges , gates and almost a few family pets :o,  you don't realise how wide a challenger 1 track is until you see the damage it does to a nice lawn.  Reckon the Damcon teams worked very hard that day !! 

The price of freedom I'm afraid :hmmm:

Chally???? Now I'm feeling old, usualy our armour support was Chieftain 🙂

• Haha 2

Nice build!! Just treated myself to of these as I've always wanted one in 1/72.

Shame the hatches aren't open but the rest of it looks like a great kit.

All the best

Ben

• 1 month later...

Well, I have not forgotten about this project. Slowly, slowly we crawl ahead.

IIHQ7rV.jpg 

wenjG4q.jpgtUKqS44.jpg

19ssp7c.jpgVetc2yl.jpg

Very close to the end now... a few minor touches and we are there.  

Regarding the antennae  - I have removed three extra inputs, but then again looked at the photos: on most of them online, one can clearly see all four of the inputs... although the antennae not installed. Should I put the inputs back? What do you think?

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Sounds about right Rogue 705, the amber flashing lights where mounted on the horns of the gun ( M107 SPG ) but, American AFV's went over the top with their Amber flashing lights. 

On 26/03/2019 at 12:36, BallsBuster said:

Well, I have not forgotten about this project. Slowly, slowly we crawl ahead.

IIHQ7rV.jpg 

Very close to the end now... a few minor touches and we are there.  

Regarding the antennae  - I have removed three extra inputs, but then again looked at the photos: on most of them online, one can clearly see all four of the inputs... although the antennae not installed. Should I put the inputs back? What do you think?

The 432's were wired for a number of radio combinations so it wouldn't of been uncommon to see only one or two bolted down on the roof with a blanking plate over the other locations that the 

BAE's would be fitted. 

One thing I'd do is paint the stock on the GPMG black though, your 432 has the later stowage bins so the wooden stocks were well untruly gone by that time and I've never seen a green stock.

I spent 7 years working on the 43 series from driver to commander and your paint job looks rather realistic, a little less rust on the tracks perhaps and the area that has the most rust is normally rubber from the track pads.

HTH 

Dan 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, Dads203 said:

The 432's were wired for a number of radio combinations so it wouldn't of been uncommon to see only one or two bolted down on the roof with a blanking plate over the other locations that the 

BAE's would be fitted. 

One thing I'd do is paint the stock on the GPMG black though, your 432 has the later stowage bins so the wooden stocks were well untruly gone by that time and I've never seen a green stock.

I spent 7 years working on the 43 series from driver to commander and your paint job looks rather realistic, a little less rust on the tracks perhaps and the area that has the most rust is normally rubber from the track pads.

HTH 

Dan 

Thank you very much, Dan. 

The pigment on the tracks is not rust - it is CMK "mud"... perhaps the photo makes it look a bit more reddish than it is in reality. I am not a fan on rust on the vehicles at all (except the exhaust pipes). Just finished the project - only have to repaint the gun stock (thanks again!) and put the model on the stand. Will post the finish photos in the completed section.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 4:12 PM, Dads203 said:

Just to make you feel better, there was still some Chieftain Squadrons (MK 11’s) kicking about in my time In Germany ;)

Chieftains huh! We still had Centurion AVRE’s in the proper days 😀

• Haha 1