FV 432 - Telford Payback

BallsBuster

This kit is the climax of an "impulse buy". I was never interested in this vehicle, do not know much about it, but saw in at Telford and thought: "This could be a M113 trying look sexy". So I got it and now it seems, as the payback for being weak, I should build it. 

Below are the results of the first 15 minutes spent on the kit. What can I say - superb fit for a short run product. 

k8E62Oq.jpg?1

iDLBZS1.jpg?1

Itk4QV1.jpg?2

So if anyone has links to good walkarounds on this vehicle or good photos  -your help will be much appreciated.

• Like 4

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:59, BallsBuster said:

So if anyone has links to good walkarounds on this vehicle or good photos  -your help will be much appreciated.

We have a walkaround here on the site, in the walkaround section;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969997-gkn-sankey-fv432-armoured-personnel-carrier/

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, Julien said:

Thank you. Great wall around. Had to ad a few more things based on these photos...

The initial stage of painting done. Found a mistake with the decals - the port warning panel has red stripes in angling in the wrong direction. The only way I can think if fixing them is painting them on, hence the masking tape.

And some other small details added.6yr1umK.jpg?1

ObLMuOe.jpg?2 

B0JDYVh.jpg?1

• Like 6

Very nice looking build, this looks like a nice little kit. Does seem to have a lot of antenna mounts, only one it really needs is the one next to the driver.

I was trained to drive these, bloody awful things and horrible to maintain. Unfortuantly i don't have any pics, but Juliens are a great referance.

• 5 weeks later...

So far painting is largely completed and initial stage of weathering done.

Next stage - minor details like lights, MG and vision paraphernalia will be added. And then a stand and a bit more weathering...

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, Bish said:

Does seem to have a lot of antenna mounts, only one it really needs is the one next to the driver.

Thank you for the note. It seems from the walk around (link above) that at least some of them had these. I shall snip off the antennas from all the positions but one at the later stage though.

E7zUO1J.jpg

bok8x4h.jpgizP816f.jpgtlEiS2Q.jpg

• Like 8

Nice work so far  :goodjob:

I used to Drive and then Command these for a living

The walkaround link is good, but dont take it as godgiven !

Re. the antenna pots, dependent on the role they could have 4 pots (i.e. a Company 2i/c vehicle)

If you go to one (i.e. the standard Infantry section vehicle) keep the one by the drivers hatch, as that was closest to the vehicle commanders radios (queue unashamed pic of me Commanding a 432)

Note lack of drivers mirrors (first thing that was left behind)

001 - 432 - 1

• Like 3

Wow great job and thanks for bringing this kit to my attention.  

A modern kit is a long way from the old Airfix HO/OO "solid plastic" FV432 of the old Airfix range.  

I reckon it would be funny if someone took two of these kits and built what that Company built for the "Band of Brothers" Series and made a StuG III out of them!  

On 1/28/2019 at 8:29 PM, Rogue705 said:

Nice work so far  :goodjob:

I used to Drive and then Command these for a living

The walkaround link is good, but dont take it as godgiven !

Re. the antenna pots, dependent on the role they could have 4 pots (i.e. a Company 2i/c vehicle)

If you go to one (i.e. the standard Infantry section vehicle) keep the one by the drivers hatch, as that was closest to the vehicle commanders radios (queue unashamed pic of me Commanding a 432)

Note lack of drivers mirrors (first thing that was left behind)

001 - 432 - 1

Good advice on the antennas.  I note that you don't have the IR lenses fitted, would i be right in thinking you only put them in place when you needed them.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, Rob S said:

Wow great job and thanks for bringing this kit to my attention.  

A modern kit is a long way from the old Airfix HO/OO "solid plastic" FV432 of the old Airfix range.  

I reckon it would be funny if someone took two of these kits and built what that Company built for the "Band of Brothers" Series and made a StuG III out of them!  

I wonder if it's the same FV432 / "Stugs" that are regular vistors to both the War And Peace Show and Military Odyssey?  They are great additions to the battle re-enactments at both shows.

Chris.  

19 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Our IR filters were always fitted, that way all you needed to do was swap out the day scope and fit the AVII night scope in the drivers compartment. No messing :thumbsup:

Ye, ours were as well, why it seemed odd to see them not fitted. I'l be starting the Takom kit soon and need to figure out how to scratch build them.

I've got a couple of these in the stash and I noticed that the box art shows a warning light, a rotating orange light - but it doesn't appear on the sprues as far as I can see.

Was this a standard  road fitment, and hence an optional scratch buld item?

14 hours ago, Bish said:

Good advice on the antennas.  I note that you don't have the IR lenses fitted, would i be right in thinking you only put them in place when you needed them.

Hi Bish,

Correct, in our Company we didnt have them attached permanantly. Only attached when we were doing a Night move

13 hours ago, Whofan said:

I've got a couple of these in the stash and I noticed that the box art shows a warning light, a rotating orange light - but it doesn't appear on the sprues as far as I can see.

In my regiment the only rotating lights were on REME 432's

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

That might depend on the time frame. My battalion moved to Armoured Inf in 95. Every time we traveled on civilian roads we had to have the amber beacon. This included crossing the roads which run through salisbury Plain. But they could be removed once off road.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bish said:

That might depend on the time frame. My battalion moved to Armoured Inf in 95. Every time we traveled on civilian roads we had to have the amber beacon. This included crossing the roads which run through salisbury Plain. But they could be removed once off road.

Sounds like a quick scratch job then if I wanted to!

2 minutes ago, Bish said:

Ahhh, we were the 80's. Road moves we had a flag (Blue I think) on lead vehicle of the column, Green (I think) on rear vehicle

Just Amber flashing lights for the REME if they were dealing with a broken down 432