SEAC Hudson once again

KRK4m

Have you ever seen the photo of anti-sub (TSS over White) camouflaged Hudson sporting small-dia "blue" SEAC roundels?

There's a very basic profile of such a plane in RAFweb ad perhaps they are right, but I need a proof to follow on with my model. Correct me please where I'm wrong:

1. The small SEAC roundel (in dark and blue or "India white") was introduced in early 1943.

2. Two RAF Squadrons (namely No. 217 and 353) were using Hudsons in maritime role over the India/Burma area at least until June 1943 (October 1944 for transport duties) 

3. In October 1942 the AMO A.1096/42 included the Hudson (along with Fortress, Liberator, Wellington and Whitley) within the "large anti-sub aircraft" group, that were to be camouflaged in TSS over White.

4. The same document mentioned Hudson also in "medium coastal aircraft" group (along with Blenheim, Beaufort, Beaufighter and Hampden) that were to be camouflaged in TSS over Sky or TSS over Night (Beaufort, Hampden and Hudson only)

5. Using (over certain geographical areas) Azure Blue instead of Sky has been allowed officially in DTD360 Issue 2 of November 1943 for ASR aircraft, but I have heard (remind me please) about such practice seen much earlier. What's funny the same scheme of TSS over Azure Blue was a recommended/compulsory scheme for transport aircraft overseas.

6. Thus No.217 Squadron Hudsons between January and June 1943 should sport TSS over White with small SEAC roundels

7. No.353 Squadron Hudsons between January and August 1943 should look the same as No.217's machines or (if "coastal patrol duties" aren't the same as "anti-submarine work") they could feature TSS over Sky (or over Night or over Azure)

8. Between November 1943 and October 1944 the No.353 Squadron Hudsons (transport duties now) should be camouflaged in TSS over Azure

9. Between August and November 1943 they could look either like #7 or #8 depending on fact, whether transport was this unit primary or secondary role.

Anyhow - each opinion will be aprreciated and thoroughly analysed.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
misprint

Complaints about the red in RAF roundels were officially raised in April 1943 and, following an expressed intention to follow RAAF practice, small blue/white roundels were authorised on June 24th 1943.  It became clear that the white was too prominent so the light blue was introduced on 29th September.  There are a few photos of Hurricanes and Vengeances in 1943 with the small roundel, but the Spitfire Mk.Vs appear to have had larger roundels of standard Spitfire size, in Blue with a small white centre, through the Arakan operations at the end of the year.  Similar roundels can be seen on FAA aircraft for some time.  By 1944 it appears that all such(non-FAA) aircraft have received the smaller roundels, presumably Blue/blue but it is often difficult to tell.  I've yet to see a Mk.VIII in anything other than these.

Photos taken in early 1943 do show the standard roundel, although ones appearing later appear to show the standard roundel without the red centre  and otherwise unmodified (e.g. Blenheim V, Dakota) or with only a small white centre (e.g. Spitfires).  Given that dating of these photos is often not made clear, it is difficult to know quite how widespread this was.  It is possible that they were only ever intended to be a temporary measure at unit level.  However it is obvious that such large areas of white would indeed be prominent, and would lead to a demand for either a smaller roundel and/or the light blue centres.

So in practice the Blue/blue roundel was only universal by early 1944, but it could be seen on some aircraft in the last quarter of 1943.

• Like 3