Classic Australian and New Guinea historical reference material

wallyinoz

Three or four weeks ago I started tossing a lot of reference material out..it's ok most of it was sourced from the internet anyway! Then I started selling off the stash as my interests have changed. One of the guys I sold something to, asked me if I had any pictures of cranes used in the goldfields of PNG in the 30's. I had a distant memory of seeing some pics and looking at my PC and laptop I realised I was missing some historical pictures I was given by Dennis Gray some 10 years ago and also pics I had found in the Exxon historical files.

I dusted off my old laptop and found them there, these pictures must never be lost so I am putting them "out there" maybe they will help other modellers and aviation historians:

46337383631_ee673d59c0_c.jpg

loads more in my photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/87490663@N08/

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks, Wally - didn't know about that one! May have to follow up - I need a Christmas present from me to me ...

I didnt know either until I posted these pics, a modeller on another site gave me those links

sorry mike I dont know which picture you mean. I dont have much backstory to these. Every now and then I look at them and try to identify aircraft if the registration is obscured etc somethings will forever remain a mystery

Thanks Scott. Did seem a bit odd so I did a Google search on "KKK biplane". Apparently the photo was taken in the USA on 22 March 1918 and the KKK used it to drop leaflets over the countryside.

Now I've just got to wait for the knock on the door for typing KKK on my keyboard. 🤣

mike