Hasegawa RF4E Phantom II Tiger Meet 1984

So now I’ve finally sorted out the picture posting procedure, I thought I’d post a few builds. 

I got back into 1/72 aircraft recently after years of building cars in 1/43 and 1/24. I’d always loved this aircraft after seeing it in a magazine back in 1984. I built one from an old kit (possibly Italeri) back then, with hand painted tiger stripes, but never managed to source decals for it (pre internet!)

On a trip to Japan I found the Hasegawa kit, and that is what encouraged me back into 1/72....and I’m enjoying the ride!

This is an OOB build (except for Tamiya tape seat belts) using the kit decals....all the yellow is decal. Paint is Mr Color or Alclad and the sharp eyed will pick that the nav light colours are transposed...since corrected. I was pleased with the exhaust affected rear area, although I learned that Alclad doesn’t like Mr Color clear (underside of the left tail plane) The decals settled reasonably well, but it was the devils own job to get them aligned from top to bottom and panel to panel. If I was to do this kit again (and I have one in the stash) I’d probably mask and paint the yellow using the decal sheet as a template....but that was too much effort for this “mojo-restoring” build.

I love Tiger Meet aircraft, so I have accumulated a number more. Hope you like this first one!

Cheers

Tania

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

• Like 20

This brings back memories - I'm pretty sure this aircraft visited a couple of UK airshows and I have some pictures somewhere.

Nice neat build. Another thing that you might consider regarding the wingtip lights - the blue light (starboard) nearly always appear green when off.

Cheers

Malcolm

Edited by Baldy

Hello F1Xena,

Always good to see the F-4 in an attractive color scheme.

You did succeed very well. Regards, Orion