Zvezda 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf E Finished!

modelling minion

It's a shame not being able to see the artillery piece, but from what I see these Zvezda kits, in regards to the interior, they are, like the daily, "I want and I can not", that is, if you decide to make some pieces complete interiors, why be so sparing in detail with the rest ...
In my case, I would have saved all the interior work, and I would have some spare parts ready for other kits, maybe ... I take note if I buy any kit of this brand, and this attracted me a lot ...

On the other hand, the tracks are the best method that is today for me, because it combines the best of vinyl, and metal, ease of assembly, preformed saggy, and great detail, at a ridiculous price ... LOL

Cheers mate :popcorn:👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looks great, Craig. The weathering effects are brilliant :clap:

However, I must admit that I thought it was a Toon kit at first glance of the top picture !! :laugh: 

Thanks Nigel glad you like it so far, yes its really weird how that picture turned out, the more I look at it the more toon like it looks!

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

It's a shame not being able to see the artillery piece, but from what I see these Zvezda kits, in regards to the interior, they are, like the daily, "I want and I can not", that is, if you decide to make some pieces complete interiors, why be so sparing in detail with the rest ...
In my case, I would have saved all the interior work, and I would have some spare parts ready for other kits, maybe ... I take note if I buy any kit of this brand, and this attracted me a lot ...

On the other hand, the tracks are the best method that is today for me, because it combines the best of vinyl, and metal, ease of assembly, preformed saggy, and great detail, at a ridiculous price ... LOL

Cheers mate :popcorn:👍

Thanks Francis, I agree with you about the interior, it is really strange to produce some parts very nicely (such as the gun breech area) whilst leaving some with no detail at all. In my opinion they would have been better making it possible to build other variants from the same kit.

I also like the "link and length" method of tracks as it is quite quick to assemble but more realistic than rubber band tracks, and having realistic sag moulded in is very helpful.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys, they are very much appreciated.

I have bitten the bullet and got on with the tracks, this started with some weathering which was made up of a wash of rust and when it was dry a further wash of Revell light sand and that gave the following results;

45950396935_5d956b8684_o_d.jpg

46812755902_2764a9d383_o_d.jpg

Sorry about the slightly blurred pictures but you get the idea. Anyway with the washes done I had to get with assembling the tracks, something I have been very wary of as it's way outside of anything you do when building wingy things and it really can make or break the look of a finished model, so with gritted teeth I got on with it and I have to say the Zvezda's tracks go together quite well and the pre-formed upper sections with the built in sag look particularly good, well to me anyway. The only thing I neede to do to get them to fit was to add an extra link to both sides and then they looked fine, and here are some pics of how the hull looks with the tracks in place;

46812757662_3ea22a7ab7_o_d.jpg

46812759092_f892429869_o_d.jpg

46812760542_8e20d8c843_o_d.jpg

With this very important bit out of the way I can now carry on with the main assembly with the fitting of the fenders next and then the hull so hopefully by the end of the weekend she will really look like a Panzer IV.

Thanks for looking  in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

Thanks for the kind comments guys, very much appreciated.

I've spent the weekend getting it all looking a lot more Panzer IV like and have also added nearly all the extra little bits, which always seems to take me ages and am just about ready to apply the decals, all 5 of them!

No pictures today as too busy building but I'm hopeful she will be finished in the next day or two and I will save my Flickr photo allowance until then :) .

• Like 3

Once again a big thank you for your comments guys, they are much appreciated, as is your patience but I have now finished my Panzer IV and whilst it isn't a show stopper I'm happy with the result. the Zvezda kit seems okay to me but it has it's odd points with there being a couple of places where you have the option of different parts to fit but absolutely no direction as to which option of the kit requires which parts, and talking of options of the 3 options on the decal sheet only one gives the unit and time and place of the tank in question and that is the one I chose, being from the 13th Panzer Division just prior to taking part in Operation Barbarossa June 1941.

Here are some pics, I will post some more in the gallery.

32008600697_c3ebdb4b93_o_d.jpg

Still gives that cartoonish look from this angle! lets try a different angle.

46949581241_c3fe0d0244_o_d.jpg

Much better, and from above.

32008615617_0f2f5d2420_o_d.jpg

A closer look.

32008611077_84eef137b0_o_d.jpg

And it's bum.

32008607897_544deef0f1_o_d.jpg

And a menacing head on "about to come over your trench" shot.

32008617207_c303a75bb2_o_d.jpg

It only remains for me to thank our superb host Stix and all of you for your encouragement and help along the way, and whilst this may be my first 1/35 armour for a very long time it will not be my last.

As usual thanks for stopping by and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received, I'm off to build something with wings now!

Craig.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Very nice Craig, a few issues along the way, but that looks good.

Thanks Robert, yes there were a couple of issues that were not of my making (for a change) but for my first armour in a long time I'm happy with it.

41 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

What a cracking looking model!! Very nicely done, Craig :clap::clap:

You're too kind Nigel, way too kind. Need to get going on my Yugo Bf-109 now!

• Like 2

On 1 February 2019 at 9:37 PM, modelling minion said:

Even without tanks i would still beat you Andy :) .

Quality not quantity 😉.

Fattening out ones build total by using non approved models is a dirty low-down trick only resorted to by the likes of "Johnny foreigner". Even the old f*** wouldn't resort to such dastardly tricks (mainly because he never finishes anything anyway)

• Haha 2