Zvezda 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf E Finished!

modelling minion

28 minutes ago, Hewy said:

You've thought of this no doubt but  if it's a kit mistake, strip it down and create your own hybrid part out of the bits, it's typical if  it's the only ausf E in the gb

That's exactly what i'm thinking of doing Glynn as I'm not happy with how it looks at the minute, in fact I will get off the computer now and get on with it!

• Like 1

Hi Craig. Hope the bits have come away and apart without causing too much damage. Always remember you can add some mud  to anything you’re not happy with! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Hope the bits have come away and apart without causing too much damage. Always remember you can add some mud  to anything you’re not happy with! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

The bits have indeed come off without any dramas at all, must use more glue next time! The only issue being that no matter which way I try to fit them together they look bad and actually only really go together in the way I first had them and I find it hard to believe that the original part was designed that way, unless the draughtsman sneezed as he was doing the drawing for them and didn't have an eraser as rubber was a bit scarce at the time. Really not sure what to do about it at the moment, may just have to build it as is and hope that the drive wheel and judicious muck will hide it.

How frustrating! Don't know what to suggest. Any chance you could post some photos of the parts now they are apart? Someone might be able work out how they need to go together.

Kind regards,

Stix 

14 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

How frustrating! Don't know what to suggest. Any chance you could post some photos of the parts now they are apart? Someone might be able work out how they need to go together.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Stix I've tried every possible combination of the parts and they just do not go together any better than I had them in the first place, there are only 6 parts in total and they can only go together in so many ways.

How weird. I'd tried looking on YouTube for any making of videos for this kit but couldn’t find any. At least with everything else in place they can't be seen that much. Oh well. Annoying but it won’t spoil the overall appearance.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Craig.

I have same Kit in the stash, so thought I'd give it a check

WHeUSg0.jpg

That's Sub assembly 4c, correct bits (double checked part numbers

ApI269j.jpg

On the chassis, It can rotate about 10 degree's, but looking from the underside/reverse gave, in my opinion, the best look.

But I have to agree its a awful piece to assemble as none of the curves seem correct

Hope it helps

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

These armoured final drive covers do indeed don’t look quite right. Do the final drive sprockets fit over these parts. Otherwise looks a great kit.

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

Looking again at my photo above, I wonder if there are other significant changes needed too, either rotate the middle section down, or swap the whole unit left and right (which would put the small end sections at the top).

Just came across this - don't know which kit, but it may help?

https://www.track-link.com/forums/modelling_construction/9035

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your inputs guys, really appreciated.

Thanks to @diases for mocking up the assembly in his kit, at least I know now that I am not the problem and the Zvezda really dropped the ball on this one.

Robert you have had the same idea that I have in regards to cutting the middle piece at one end to achieve the correct angle, as you say I will trial it a couple of times before putting knife to plastic. The picture you put a link to above is interesting as it shows a piece identical to that on Stix's Ausf D which has a smooth outer surface with no joints at all and is a million miles away from anything achievable with the kit parts as Zvezda have made them. At least after my butchery there won't be much visible anyway.

Thanks again guys, it's help and advice like this which makes Britmodeller and it's members the fantastic site it is.

• Like 2

I will consider it if I buy one of these, because it looked like a great kit, in relation to price / price, it hurts, because it is a piece that perishes fundamentally, being in the part that holds a wheel, and perhaps of problems with the tracks the time to assemble / align ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

Just been having a read through this; so much hassle from such little parts. This hobby does sometimes make you feel like   :headbang:

Looking forward to your GB in a couple of months, Craig. Hope you get this done and dusted before then :smile:

• Like 1

On 10/01/2019 at 19:40, modelling minion said:

Thanks again guys, it's help and advice like this which makes Britmodeller and it's members the fantastic site it is.

Totally agree! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

Yes I am wondering how the tracks will align, or not!

I have been making some progress, I have butchered the drive covers into something resembling the correct shape and just need to fix them in place. I have also built up the turret sub-assemblies and the upper hull, no pictures as yet but I will take some later today so that you can see what she looks like so far.

• Like 2

As promised here are a couple of pictures of some of the progress so far, starting with the turret parts and in particular the pieces which build up the lower internal parts of the turret which is built up with the crew seats;

45814559055_94d384a746_o_d.jpg

The non-slip floor is quite well done but nothing will be seen of the interior of the turret so no paint will be applied to any of the parts.

The outer turret comes as one piece to which are added vision ports etc and looks like this;

45814560515_982b8b61dc_o_d.jpg

The side hatches hadn't been added when I took the pictures but they are now in place, the hatches themselves are fully detailed on the inside face so could be posed open if desired but there is no detail at all on the inside faces of the turret as you can see in the picture below;

45814561565_039c1157fa_o_d.jpg

The parts of the inside of the gun are all present in the kit but like I said my turret will be fully closed so no paint has been applied;

39765092303_eed4db2f47_o_d.jpg

And on to the back of the turret will go the "Rommel box" which is built up of around 6 parts, I will be leaving mine off the turret until after painting so I can get at the area between the box and the turret;

45814563895_86660595e7_o_d.jpg

I have now started to assemble the turret parts to each other and hope to start getting some paint onto the various sub-assemblies very soon.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Hewy said:

That's a nice gun breach Craig, looks a decent kit, are you brush painting it? 

Cheers Glynn, yes the breech is well detailed OOTB and no I'm not brush painting it, I just tried some Revell Panzer Grey to see how it looked (looks alright to me) and I will be spraying it on, I'm no Stix, I can't brush paint to save my life although I will be using one for dry-brushing hi-lights etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Just checking if you have had chance to do anything more on this build?

Kind regards, 

Stix 

As it happens, yes I have.

Despite not having posted anything for a while I have been slowly plugging away at my panzer and a great deal of it has been taken up by the wheels, oh how I have missed the repetitious fun of painting sets of road wheels! And since finishing them I have been concentrating on my attempts at weathering everything that has been painted so far and trying to decide whether or not to attempt mud spatter or just finish her as if she had been travelling at speed over the dusty Russian steppes, any way enough rambling lets get on with the pics starting with one showing most of the main parts loosely put together purely for the purposes of this picture;

46778326082_a6fd5401cc_o_d.jpg

Because of the angle she almost looks like a caricature! Next is a closer look at some of the wheels which hopefully shows them looking suitably dusty and the paint streaked aftre having been exposed to either rain or water from a forded stream at some point;

45915734345_4b0e8a234c_o_d.jpg

The other sub-assemblies have had much the same effect so here they are in no particular order starting with the front of the hull;

39865341553_775b9aaa67_o_d.jpg

The main wheels;

39865343013_7791f16fbc_o_d.jpg

The upper hull;

46778341632_0472424fd4_o_d.jpg

The turret;

31889141437_c07f620256_o_d.jpg

And the fenders;

31889145247_1de39a56ec_o_d.jpg

Next up are the tracks which have first had a coat of Revell's tar black and then dry brushed with Vallejo "jet exhaust", they are a work in progress and I'm happy with them at the minute and have to decide how to weather them further after another light dry-brushing with a lighter shade of metallic paint;

31889148777_ca76ecc060_o_d.jpg

46778351532_4fdda40ca9_o_d.jpg

The way the model is designed means I have to get the tracks on before I can assemble the main parts of the tank so these really do need to be my main focus of effort this week.

That's it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6