Zvezda 1/35 Panzer IV Ausf E Finished!

modelling minion

Well before I start getting nasty notices from Six I thought that I had better mark my place with my entry for this GB for which I will be building Zvezda's relatively new 1/35 Ausf E. Now I am not an avid armour builder so you will have to forgive me any newbie errors I make and also any stupid questions that I might ask, I will also be building her OOTB complete with any errors that the kit might have, no doubt there are some, with a view to possibly finishing it as a tank operated by the Afrika Korps or DAK as they are often referred. So without further ado here are the usual box and contents shots;

31386588017_2f9dd31ca1_o_d.jpg

Quite nice box art and underneath is a very sturdy cardboard box stuffed full of parts.

32453632828_06b9312471_o_d.jpg

46325530731_7c034fec73_o_d.jpg

46325533531_b043f7da13_o_d.jpg

Lots of bits in these target boxes aren't there!

Thankfully for a novice like me there are link and length tracks rather than individual links. Anyway don't get your hopes up for a record breaking build as I have the small matter of a B-17 to get finished first.

Anyway thanks for looking in and any comments and tips are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Well before I start getting nasty notices from Stix

Hi Craig. I was thinking earlier about stopping by your thread to see where you'd got to! Good to see you here. :thumbsup:

That looks to be a rather nice kit too. I will enjoy following your progress with this one and definitely feel free to ask any questions you need to - there will be plenty of people here who will be able to provide some answers.

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hello Craig, most of these zvezda kits are pretty good, but don't buy the king tiger kit unless you check it out for warpage, ( I didn't) I'm stuck with a large  king tiger  box of spares now 🙄

These fit nice and look good,  I look forward to it

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, Redcoat2966 said:

I'm interested on seeing a Zvesda going together........see them a lot and always tempted to give them a go. From the spru shot's, looks a nice kit.

Good luck Craig....:yes:

Regards

Simon.

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

I am also very interested in seeing what Zvezda offers, since lately it has some very complete new kits, at a very competitive price...:popcorn:

Cheers mate :santa:

Cheers guys,

Had a bad week modelling wise (done nothing) but I hope to get started on this over the Christmas break.

I'm looking forward to it too as it looks like a nice kit.

Hi Craig, I built a zvezda elephant and the tracks on yours look like the same build up method, they were  pretty good ,and easy to build,  I don't reckon you'll need after market ones, they turn out pretty convincingly. 

Zvezda kit tracks

PaeG14B.jpg

• Like 7

On 21/12/2018 at 20:48, modelling minion said:

Had a bad week modelling wise (done nothing) but I hope to get started on this over the Christmas break.

Hi Craig. Sorry you haven't had chance to do any modelling and I hope you manage to find some time for this soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hi Craig, I built a zvezda elephant and the tracks on yours look like the same build up method, they were  pretty good ,and easy to build,  I don't reckon you'll need after market ones, they turn out pretty convincingly. 

Zvezda kit tracks

PaeG14B.jpg

Glynn if my Panzer IV turns out half as good as your Elefant I will be over the moon. As you say the tracks look really good so hopefully I can try an make mine look something like yours.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Sorry you haven't had chance to do any modelling and I hope you manage to find some time for this soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, really want to get started but need to finish my B-17 first, or at least get it close, got a bit done today but got to go back to work tomorrow :( .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Glynn if my Panzer IV turns out half as good as your Elefant I will be over the moon

Craig if I can do that, you'll walk it mate, you already have everything in your arsenal, that's the best picture of the tracks I could find on imgur, the model is in a box in the loft,   when I looked the next day  I thought I shouldn't have posted a picture before you, I'm sorry if it seems to  you or anyone  else I've photo bombed or hijacked in any way, that's wasn't my  intention, looking forward till you can get some time to start, 

Have a great Christmas 

Glynn 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Craig if I can do that, you'll walk it mate, you already have everything in your arsenal, that's the best picture of the tracks I could find on imgur, the model is in a box in the loft,   when I looked the next day  I thought I shouldn't have posted a picture before you, I'm sorry if it seems to  you or anyone  else I've photo bombed or hijacked in any way, that's wasn't my  intention, looking forward till you can get some time to start, 

Have a great Christmas 

Glynn 

Don't be daft mate, I have no problem with you posting a picture of your excellent Elefant, it really makes me want to get going on my build.

You have a great Christmas too, hopefully will be able to get to Clifton Curios over the holidays, sad that he will be forced to close soon.

Just went on the Web site Craig, that was a shock, although Mike has this year had more and more space there, maybe it was on the cards, shame, a great model shop, I hope he can find premises elsewhere, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the very slow start on this but after getting my B-17 over the line the Minion household came down with a nasty virus which gave us terrible headaches which meant that the use of stinky glue was a definite no-no, not that I felt like modelling anyway. Now that said bug has finally moved on I have made a bit of a start and like lots of you I started with the wheels, there's a lot of them isn't there! These came off the sprues and cleaned up easy enough and were then assembled to their respective partners and gives me a bunch of built up wheels which looks like this;

31708724117_9255034d57_o_d.jpg

Next up was the building of the lower hull which is built up of quite a few parts (including separate additional armour plate for the sides) mostly with good fit, but more of that later, here is a shot of how the hull looks now;

31708725707_69d4453f13_o_d.jpg

One of my areas of concern is what looks like a gap at the front where the front end plate and the angled upper hull plate adjoin which you can see clearer below;

32775455818_6880138174_o_d.jpg

Another concern is the 3 part cover which go around the area that the front drive wheel goes, the 3 parts do not go together very well and there is absolutely nothing to ensure that the parts can then be aligned properly on the hull sides, here's what it looks like;

32775457398_97e7143b2e_o_d.jpg

Now maybe it's meant to look like that but I'm not sure, I'm sure one of you can throw light on this.

Hopefully I can get a bit more done this evening. Still not found where the propellor goes though?

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Sorry to hear you and your family have been poorly over the festive period but good you're better now. Good you have been able to make a start now and most of it looks very good.

The drive cover is not, I’m fairly certain, right. It should look like this:

44669235350_5af87af8a0_b.jpg

Can you prise them off the hull and take them apart and then take a photo of the section of the instructions for this cover? If you post the photo of the instructions - modellers on here might be able to help sort it out.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry for the very slow start on this but after getting my B-17 over the line the Minion household came down with a nasty virus which gave us terrible headaches which meant that the use of stinky glue was a definite no-no, not that I felt like modelling anyway. Now that said bug has finally moved on I have made a bit of a start and like lots of you I started with the wheels, there's a lot of them isn't there! These came off the sprues and cleaned up easy enough and were then assembled to their respective partners and gives me a bunch of built up wheels which looks like this;

31708724117_9255034d57_o_d.jpg

Next up was the building of the lower hull which is built up of quite a few parts (including separate additional armour plate for the sides) mostly with good fit, but more of that later, here is a shot of how the hull looks now;

31708725707_69d4453f13_o_d.jpg

One of my areas of concern is what looks like a gap at the front where the front end plate and the angled upper hull plate adjoin which you can see clearer below;

32775455818_6880138174_o_d.jpg

Another concern is the 3 part cover which go around the area that the front drive wheel goes, the 3 parts do not go together very well and there is absolutely nothing to ensure that the parts can then be aligned properly on the hull sides, here's what it looks like;

32775457398_97e7143b2e_o_d.jpg

Now maybe it's meant to look like that but I'm not sure, I'm sure one of you can throw light on this.

Hopefully I can get a bit more done this evening. Still not found where the propellor goes though?

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Looks like you're trying to put the right side part on the left side of the tank.

• Like 2

Good to see you've got a start Craig, the lurgy is in my house as we speak, it's like the a+e at the hospital here, luckily I'm imune( for the time being), I'm no experten mate all the best sussing it out

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Looks like you're trying to put the right side part on the left side of the tank.

Funnily enough I was that unsure of the fit that I double checked the part numbers I was using and only built up one side at a time and checked the fit on either side of the hull and got no better fit either way so actually went with the instructions (for a change).

36 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Good to see you've got a start Craig, the lurgy is in my house as we speak, it's like the a+e at the hospital here, luckily I'm imune( for the time being), I'm no experten mate all the best sussing it out

Cheers Glynn, I was the last to hold out in our house too but it got me eventually.

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Sorry to hear you and your family have been poorly over the festive period but good you're better now. Good you have been able to make a start now and most of it looks very good.

The drive cover is not, I’m fairly certain, right. It should look like this:

44669235350_5af87af8a0_b.jpg

Can you prise them off the hull and take them apart and then take a photo of the section of the instructions for this cover? If you post the photo of the instructions - modellers on here might be able to help sort it out.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, that is what I thought it should look like but it just will not build up that way, I will take a pic of the instructions tomorrow and post it here. If needs be I can probably get them off.

And here are a couple of pictures to prove that I haven't made up how I assembled the drive covers starting with the building up of the covers themselves;

31722854447_0b7fb9ea9c_o_d.jpg

Rest assured that I did glue the correct numbered parts together and you can make out a step on the outside of the completed cover in the picture below which shows it being fixed to the side of the hull;

32789757038_52939c9639_o_d.jpg

Now the instructions show a nice circular shape for the inner face but I can assure you that it isn't possible to build it like that without massive gaps on the 3 parts.

So over to you guys for any help or words of wisdom.

Craig.

• Like 1