Rigging help (can moderator move this to ww2)

Adam Poultney

I've never done rigging on aircraft before.... I have 0 knowledge on how to do it...

what should I use on 1/72 and 1/48 scale aircraft? How do I apply it? Where can I find good information on how it was on certain aircraft?

Information on early spitfires (early MkI, MkII and MkVa specifically), Bf109s of all variants would be much appreciated.

Edited by Adam Poultney

Hi Adam.  I am longtime rigger and can probably answer most of you questions.

I only build 1/72nd scale (WW1/Two, etc...)  For the rigging itself, I use .004 or .005 monofilament fishing line,  Sometimes I use pieces of stretched sprue for very small pieces like control horn lines.  To apply the rigging, I drill very small holes with a pin drill (very carefully!) Once the model is assembled I place it on a jig and run the lines through the holes.  I then secure one end (as non-visible as possible) with a touch of CA using a sharpened  toothpick.  Once it is set, I apply tension to the line, gently pull it taut, and then secure that end with more CA.  I use extremely small amounts of glue and there is no frosting or gluey buildup.  

If you are just rigging one or two lines, like radio wires, try using EZLine.  That works very well.

Most of my WiP threads will have some kind rigging on them (except for jets).  Below are some examples...browse other threads for monoplanes, etc...

If you scroll through the WiP you'll eventually find some areas where I rig, show the rigging, etc...

Have fun!  I find that rigging really makes the aircraft come alive.

--John

I use monofilament (joys of being a fly fisherman there's always some at hand ;) ) and smoke coloured invisible thread (perfect for 1/72 to my eyes). The method I use is exactly the same as John describes above. The main thing is to just take your time and not get flustered.

I tend to prefer stretched sprue attached with white glue for most 1/72 rigging, from aerial lines on WW2 aircraft to flying wires and such on WW1 beasts. The advantages are several:

1) Once you get the knack, you can easily 'pull' it to the required thickness---anything from 'rods' to finer-than-human hair diameter.

2) Once you learn to pull 'straight' lengths, you don't have to mess about with heat sources close to vulnerable plastic structures, to make it 'snap' taut. (Although I will grant you it is a very cool effect!)

3) Applying with white glue is fast, dead-easy, and completely reversible. Touch a bit on with a toothpick and blow on it, and it's pretty much set.

4) It's surprisingly strong and resilient. I've had sprue rigging on WW1 fighters in 1/72 survive a three-foot-or so drop, with perhaps one or two lines (only) 'popped' loose; a toothpick and a spot of glue, and all was right again.

All the above having been said...I do love elastic EZ-line for anything larger scale.

Cheers