1/144 - Rockwell B-1B Lancer by Academy - released - resin exhaust set by Wolfpack Designn

Homebee

On 4/5/2019 at 1:32 AM, JeffreyK said:

Doyusha re-box and sell Academy kits in Japan as I believe there is a bit of politics involved with Academy being a "maker non grata" in Japan. You can hardly find any Academy kits in Japanese shops, such as the Academy Phantoms, but you can in when they're in Doyusha boxes.

J

At one time, a lot of Academy kits were little more than (unauthorised) Tamiya clones; are the two things related?

18 hours ago, frequentsteve said:

The machine translation on the copy is hysterical -  

"Please make this beautiful variable wings big bird B-1 B Lancer by all means."

Oh that I could, website! It looks like a gorgeous kit.

20 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

At one time, a lot of Academy kits were little more than (unauthorised) Tamiya clones; are the two things related?

Tamiya ? Not Hasegawa (and Airfix) rather ?

On 4/5/2019 at 1:32 AM, JeffreyK said:

Doyusha re-box and sell Academy kits in Japan as I believe there is a bit of politics involved with Academy being a "maker non grata" in Japan. You can hardly find any Academy kits in Japanese shops, such as the Academy Phantoms, but you can in when they're in Doyusha boxes.

J

I suspect that most of that politics is due to the fact that Academy got their start directly ripping off kits from Tamiya, particularly in the armor and ships areas. And it was much more than a one time thing. Hawk may have been able to forgive Aurora, but I think the depth and breadth of Academy's perfidy made them unwelcome in Japan. Here's the relevant part of the Aurora/Hawk story, extracted from this article -  https://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/a-brief-history-of-aurora-plastic-model-kits/

"If you have the early Hawk releases of the F9F or F-90,you will notice that they are almost exact copies of each other, down to the stand design. The Hawk kits predate the Aurora kits but there is no evidence of mold swapping.   To keep production costs and time down, Aurora simply purchased the two Hawk kits, copied the dimensions of the kits and made their own molds.  The Mates Brothers, owners and operators of Hawk, were not happy.  Reportedly, sharp words were exchanged at trade shows.  Hawk began hiding the word ‘HAWK’ in morse code in rivet detail.  However, Aurora did not copy any further Hawk kits and after many years tensions eased to the point where each company could joke about the incident at future shows."

20 hours ago, Laurent said:

Tamiya ? Not Hasegawa (and Airfix) rather ?

In 1/72 aircraft the Academy A-10 is very strongly "inspired" by the Hasegawa kit to say the least. It does add recessed panel lines though.

Same goes for the OV-10.

Hoops

• 4 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 4:29 PM, Laurent said:

Extremely impressive but £13 more expensive than the kit itself. My enthusiasm in pulling the trigger isn't very high.

There is also a half price set countaining the nozzles only if that helpd convincing you! ;)

Seem 3d print technology, not resin copies of it....