1/48 - Grumman F3F-2 "Flying Barrel" (plastic Accurate Miniatures) by Academy - box art+decals+PE set+sprues+schemes - release September 2021

Homebee

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

Clearly announced "new tooling" in the Academy catalog 2019.

V.P.

I see that Academy is calling this a new tooling, but colour me skeptical about this until we see further evidence in the form of CAD or sprue shots. 

• Like 1

I too am skeptical because of those AM molds. One possibility to bring the two together is a new sprue added to the AM kit. Minicraft have done that. I suppose we'll see in due time.

But, puh-leeze, Academy, if you're going to do an all new tool F3F, how about an F11F? Criminy, we only have a Lindberg kit that Corky Meyer said was a good representation of the prototype, initially called an F9F-9, and the Fonderie Miniature kit that is beaucoup plus cher!

• Like 1

Since Academy did Accurate Miniatures mold and production work, and appears to own or control the Accurate tooling, it seems highly unlikely that they would develop a new tool for a model that is well outside their normal wheelhouse when they already own the excellent Accurate tooling. Sorry for the run on sentence. The thoughts just kept on coming.

2 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Since Academy did Accurate Miniatures mold and production work, and appears to own or control the Accurate tooling, it seems highly unlikely that they would develop a new tool for a model that is well outside their normal wheelhouse when they already own the excellent Accurate tooling. Sorry for the run on sentence. The thoughts just kept on coming.

As with everything, time will tell!

• 1 year later...

In the Academy catalogue 2021

Despite the New Tooling indication, rumour says this model might be a reissue from the Accurate Miniatures kit (link). To be followed.

Source: https://academypm.cafe24.com/09_site/2021_academy_catalog.pdf

- ref. 12236 - Grumman F3F-2 "Flying Barrel"

F3F-2.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F3F-2 "Flying Barrel" (new tool or Accurate Miniatures plastic?) by Academy - release in 2021
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F3F-2 "Flying Barrel" (plastic Accurate Miniatures) by Academy - box art+decals+PE set+sprues - release September 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F3F-2 "Flying Barrel" (plastic Accurate Miniatures) by Academy - box art+decals+PE set+sprues+schemes - release September 2021