Wirbelwind (the little one)

Davek72

Hi Dave. Great to see one of these is being built. It looks like it should be a rather nice kit too. It'll be interesting too to see it being build alongside Nigel's ( @wimbledon99 ) 1/35 version. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Ooh - I recently treated myself to one of these, rather than attempting to battle the old and much more basic Hasegawa version into submission.

Be looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

On 12/15/2018 at 11:07 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Dave. Great to see one of these is being built. It looks like it should be a rather nice kit too. It'll be interesting too to see it being build alongside Nigel's ( @wimbledon99 ) 1/35 version. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

I am certainly looking to see what Nigel does with his monster.   If I have time I am also going to build the Tamiya 1/35 version of this kit.

Coincidentally I have just been to see the Wimbledon panto so I could have popped in to say hi to Nigel 😀

Dave

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2018 at 1:28 PM, badger said:

Ooh - I recently treated myself to one of these, rather than attempting to battle the old and much more basic Hasegawa version into submission.

Be looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

All the best

Ben

Thanks Ben.  So far I am really enjoyed myself.   Can’t recall the last 1/72 armour build I did but I am sure it’s 20 yrs ago.  This little beauty appears to have more detail than some of the 1/35 kits I built in my youth.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I have discovered that if I only work in my workshop outside (a) it’s bloody cold and (b) I get a max of 30 minutes modelling per weekend...probably explains my output.

However if I set up in the dinning room (a) it’s nice and warm and (b) because the kids come and watch (it therefore counts as childcare) I can do at least a couple of hours during the weekend.  No airbrush or such like but hey ho at least I am doing some modelling.

So the kit is going together beautifully.

32469614948_775208a396_b.jpg

The filler was due to a bit of a gap but that was probably my fault.

32469615488_ce61b7f4a5_b.jpg

And finally...

32469615808_ce7168a6a6_b.jpg

Lots of little wheels on this on.  Sorry about the colour balance on this one.

Dave

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looks to be going together well Dave and the detail looks good. I will have to get myself one of these! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

If you do get one, I recommend picking up a set of the rb models turned barrels as they aren't much and save having to clean mould lines from, and drill out, tiny fragile parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, badger said:

If you do get one, I recommend picking up a set of the rb models turned barrels as they aren't much and save having to clean mould lines from, and drill out, tiny fragile parts.

top tip!!!

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 6:44 PM, PlaStix said:

Looks to be going together well Dave and the detail looks good. I will have to get myself one of these! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix it is a lovely little kit. Hope to have a push over Christmas.

Dave

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, badger said:

The RB barrels look lovely but I appear to have left it too late for this build.  Good tip for the future.  

Dave

On 12/23/2018 at 12:28 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Dave, This looks to be coming along nicely. Those wheel rubbers must have been a nightmare to paint at this scale!! :shocked:

You are not kidding and the photo above was before all the touching up.

Dave

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, badger said:

Famous last words Badger....just managed to snap one of the barrels on the kit.   No way it is going back together so an order to RB models has just been sent...doh

• Sad 3

On 12/24/2018 at 5:11 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Dave. Well it's looking really good in the photo above but what a shame about the barrel! Hope it arrives suitably in time.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix

These things happen and the RB barrels Badger recommended really look good in the photos.  I have already had an email confirming they are on the way.

Dave

• Like 1

Glad the barrel recommendation came in handy. I'm a huge fan and rarely use kit barrels these days.

Great progress so far - just doing the wheels on mine which I've tried to leave as long as possible!

All the best

Ben

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:13, Davek72 said:

So I have discovered that if I only work in my workshop outside (a) it’s bloody cold and (b) I get a max of 30 minutes modelling per weekend...probably explains my output.

However if I set up in the dinning room (a) it’s nice and warm and (b) because the kids come and watch (it therefore counts as childcare) I can do at least a couple of hours during the weekend.  No airbrush or such like but hey ho at least I am doing some modelling.

So the kit is going together beautifully.

32469614948_775208a396_b.jpg

The filler was due to a bit of a gap but that was probably my fault.

32469615488_ce61b7f4a5_b.jpg

And finally...

32469615808_ce7168a6a6_b.jpg

Lots of little wheels on this on.  Sorry about the colour balance on this one.

Dave

I'm just playing 'catch up' here - can I ask - which paint you are using for the 'yellow' - thanks in advance - Steve

14 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I'm just playing 'catch up' here - can I ask - which paint you are using for the 'yellow' - thanks in advance - Steve

Hi Steve

I am probably going to open up a can of worms here but having spent far too long than is healthy looking at the “what colour is dunkelgelb” discussion and been pointed (either directly or via conversion charts) to various shades in the Vallejo catalogue (my preferred paints) I just went with the one I liked the most...to answer you questions Model Colour 121 Yellow Ochre....

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1