KP 1/72nd De Havilland D.H.88 Comet racer

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Don't do that bit on the kitchen work surface, will ya!?

You really will have a cleanup job on your hands.....

That's exactly where I do my airbrushing. A bit of a production I am afraid and something I would like to change, in Ideal Dream Modelingland.

But I am extremely careful. We don't have a dog, so if I mess up I won't even have the doghouse to sleep in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Moa said:

That's exactly where I do my airbrushing. A bit of a production I am afraid and something I would like to change, in Ideal Dream Modelingland.

But I am extremely careful. We don't have a dog, so if I mess up I won't even have the doghouse to sleep in.

I'm sure Mrs Moa will think of somewhere!

Martian 👽 (Seen the film, bought the tee shirt etc)

• Haha 4

There is some lots of excellent work on this Comet, you have inspired me to dig out my copy of this kit and give it a go. At least I know what to improve and watch out for now!

Great save on the paint too, what a fabulous looking green!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The decals are extremely thin (which is good), but need super careful handling and plenty of water, and be moved around only with a brush. I folded one and broke a little piece off as I was trying to unfold it, and finally managed with patience to fix it. The glue leaves a very noticeable residue once it dries, so again very carefully with a wet cotton bud you will need to clean after all is pretty set (next day perhaps better).
Their color is nice, but the small British flash that goes on the fin is completely out of register in my sheet, even with the multiple spares provided. A let down on an otherwise nice sheet. I put it on, but will replace it when I get good ones.
The carrier is very generous and will benefit from trimming if you feel confident; I cut the letters individually to reduce it even more:

IMG_1726+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1727+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 14

Grrrrrrrr. Airbrushes! they can produce great finishes, but sometimes..................................

Really interested in this kit, I have one on my Watch list at Hannants. I missed out on the first stock. I'm slightly disappointed that it isn't quite the state of the art kit I was hoping for, but as you say, nothing too insurmountable. I rather fancy the Black Magic scheme, but the classic Grosvenor House is just so iconic.

'The Dangerous Skies' by A.E. Clouston is a favourite of mine and a cracking read, with a good deal of Comet flying exploits. Get a copy if you haven't already read it 😎 

The 'Green 'un' is looking good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Comet rescues Comet:
The kit lacks the Pitot, and the kit's Ratier logo decals for the props are a joke,

so I got this Pitot from an SBS kit I built some time ago (I made one out of tube and of wire for that one) and fortunately there were also enough SBS's leftover Ratier logo decals, phew! thanks SBS!:

IMG_1729+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 3

It looks great!
Good job with the decals. Did you use set/solve liquids?

On my sheet the "Union Jack" isn't out of register, but still, the print is not sharp enough, the colour fields are more like some blobs than the proper lines and triangles... Pity.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...