Academy 1/72 Mustang

Hi all. This is a photo test as much as anything. The model is an Academy P51D with the fillet-less tail of the P51B grafted on.

The specific aircraft, Isabel III was flown by my great-uncle (grandfathers brother) Jack Cleland, whilst on temporary secondment to the 357th from the RAF (where he flew the Spitfire MkVII for 616 Squadron) I understand he was the only Kiwi to fly Mustangs for the Americans.

Paint is Mr Color, and decals are a combination of the kit and serials robbed from various decal sheets. I masked and painted the checkerboard nose and invasion stripes. The “Isabel III” was hand painted after several attempts at creating a decal. I’m not especially pleased with it.

i have several other kits to do more of Jacks aircraft....the Italeri MkVII includes decal options for Isabel II, and I’ll do another P51D with fillet, assuming it was field fitted during the period he flew it. The later version also probably had a red rudder, but there are limited references. I understand one of the P51s at Cosford is (or was) painted as Isabel III, with the fillet and the red rudder. 

Edited by F1xena
No photo

Ok sorry guys, no photo showing. I must be doing something wrong. I’m pasting the link to Flickr, and it tells me the link has been imbedded, but no photo?

Edited by F1xena

35323025400_3bc0b2935e_z

35669437916_1097a62a5b_z35578365131_d55f92d486_z35669436276_2000c0091a_z

Congrats on a lovely build that needs to be seen.

I have selected a few pics off your flickr account and posted.

Sadly im not 100% sure how i did it.

I think I clicked the download icon on the bottom right of your flickr page, downloaded 4 pics to my photos (you won't do this step)

After uploading from my photos to my flickr account, I then clicked on the share icon, copied the link, then pasted into the Britmodeller thread.

Hope this helps.

note: I only selected medium in the size of pics I downloaded from your flickr account. Perhaps should have gone large.

• Like 8

Thanks for that.....I've been flat out reading the FAQ and part of the problem may be that I'm trying to do it on an iPad.

Another attempt here

CAE0E042-F5AE-418C-8F4A-8F4E372A5D16.jpg

Edited by F1xena
  • Like 3

Looks good to me, well done with the kit bash too. 

I'm a fan of the aircraft, I have the scheme eyed up for the Revell 32nd scale kit, the warbird was painted up in honour of Cleland's wife who was a guest at Wanaka one year with Chuck Yeager, (its currently "dove of peace")

Unfortunately I never knew Jack. He died in 1970, but Isabel was always “Aunty Isabel” to us. Their son Richard was also at Wanaka that year. 

There is a very nice 1/32 build on the Kiwimodeller website. 

I think I may have the photo thing sorted....here is Jacks Spitfire, Isabel II

IMG_2977.jpg 

Edited by F1xena
  • Like 4