Yetifans Dragon Panzer IV Ausf H

Yetifan

On 12/19/2018 at 11:49 PM, Yetifan said:

Hi everyone, just a small update. All wheels now assembled and sanded, I gave them a mist coat of black so it’s easy to see when you rubbed down the small seams and nubs. Hull going well except for a real head slap moment when i realised i had glued the bogies on the wong side of the hull. I managed to break them off and hopefully they will glue back on ok. Started on the turret and some other sub assemblies. I often do small assemblies out of order just to fit in the available time. On annual leave now so will have some more time to get working on it this week.

46386085771_daa8a9ecc0_b.jpg

Still deciding on how to go with the paint finish. I need the airbrush practice but also like the hairy sticks. I’ll be checking in on your builds and see which way you guys go.

Thanks for looking 🙂

Did that with the tiger not wrong sides but wrong places so I can identify with your irritation aimed at the self. Good job so far maybe get myself one of thos in the very near future I think. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 3

Hi Everyone,

A wet and windy day here today so some proper bench time this afternoon. So first base coat of XF-60 applied by airbrush to the hull, wheels, turret and Armour panels. Filled the small gap on the front glacis plate with some sprue dust brushed into place than a tiny drop of extra thin cement. Looks ok to me.

46408602951_5a56aae07c_b.jpg

Pretty happy with how the paint went on but still get the very Matt almost chalky texture to the painted surfaces. 

Tyre painting nearly complete (hate that job) went ok but still some touch up required. Started on the tools so will do more on those next. Also need to dry fit the turret Armour which I will attach fully once the first round of weathering is complete.

Thanks for looking 🙂

• Like 8

Hi Everyone,

Some further progress today, added the camo scheme. Airbrushed with Mig paints. After looking at loads of images online with a huge range of schemes, I went for a freehand interpretation. So a mix of dark brown and green in fairly wide bands.

44618125420_ce8757a20e_b.jpg

Will leave to dry overnight, then apply some varnish before attempting the decals. Next job will be putting on the running gear and then starting on the weathering process. 

Thanks for looking 🙂

• Like 10

23 hours ago, PlaStix said:

:wow:That looks excellent in it's camouflage

Kind regards,

Stix! 

Thanks 🙂 pretty happy with how it came out.

23 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic job yetifan, nice free styling with the camouflage.

Thanks @Ozzy 👍

23 hours ago, Hewy said:

Ohhh that does look good, very nice bit of painting

Thanks @Hewy 

20 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Very nice camo job on that B)

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve 🙂

So a few jobs done today, first was a coat of gloss varnish. I’ve been using Mig Lucky Varnish recently and quite like it. I brush it on rather than spraying. Then leave to dry at least 24hrs. I can then add the decals after Christmas.

32571194818_a0bb5cdbd4_b.jpg

With the main hull and turret to one side, it was time to tackle the tools. I usually leave on the sprue to clean them up and put on a first base coat of Revell Anthracite. Next is the tool clamps in thinned XF-60. I then go back and make sure they are cleaned up again with no mold lines (they always show up in the pictures of the finished model!). Next is a lighter Mig Dunkelgelb for the clamps and a second thinned coat of anthracite to get a nice neat finish. The wooden handles are oil painted with Burnt Umber using the brush to get a grained effect.

45535467905_08995a814f_b.jpg

These will be attached to the hull after the first round of weathering with rain streaks which would of course accumulate under the tools. Pretty happy with how they came out.

Will put another wash on the tracks to darken the Yellow Ochre of the first wash. Then some further weathering. I’ll do images at each stage. Hope you don’t mind me crashing on but I do like quick builds and tend to get on a roll if things are going to plan.

That’s all for now, present wrapping beckons so wishing everyone a really Happy Christmas and looking forward to doing some more on Boxing Day.

• Like 7

Excellent progress - everything is coming together beautifully. The tools are looking superb. Very well done. :clap2:

Hope the present wrapping goes well and hope you have a Very Merry Christmas.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Yetifan,

Speedy, yet excellent work all round Sir!

Lovely camo, brilliant tools, and I am liking the look of those tracks at this 'mid-stage'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, 

Some good progress made since last update. Mig filter and oil washes applied. Some limited chipping with sponge and first round of highlights.

31573969577_8f02c24c60_b.jpg

Most of the painting complete, some further touching up to do. Still want to lighten things up so will look at some further dry brushing of lighter colors probably XF-57

46514085881_3ba9da9821_b.jpg

46514084591_42749ff1f9_b.jpg

Some mud effects applied to the lower hull, not sure how much further I want to go with it. I’ll take a view once all the wheels and tracks are on.

46461986132_d4b08eb85c_b.jpg

Pretty happy with how the decals have taken to the zimmerit. Used some Micro Sol and took plenty of time to do one at a time and really make sure they had conformed well to the surface.

46514079491_69f75ccceb_b.jpg

So overall I’m please with how things are going, still some work to do on the tracks. First application of pigments has left them very uniform so want to add some more interest.

44697990770_f784025a6a_b.jpg

So next jobs are to get the wheels on, more work on the tracks and then some further weathering.

Thanks for looking 🙂

• Like 8

Fantastic job all round, the schürzen is a bit of a pain. My handles kept falling off, i primed the metal but I struggled to make a lasting bond. There on there now just darn’t move them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Hi everyone, happy new year!! Not to many sore heads this morning I hope 🙂

So had a good go on the model yesterday and i’m pretty much there, a few minor little fixes to do but otherwise th build is complete.

45639860785_2f64574856_b.jpg

I’ll do some proper images during the day to day so not sure if I add them to this post or put them in a ‘finished’ section?

Anyway overall a good fun build, the Dragon did prove to be a more intricate and detailed build than I am used to but the quality of the mouldings and the extra detail certainly are noticeable. I’ve provided a comparison with my recent Tamiya Ausf J build below.

31612872547_f6f79af0b1_b.jpg

32680183698_688b2030d7_b.jpg

Never had so many parts left over, looks like i’ll need a bigger spares box 🙂

31612895237_021a1edbdf_b.jpg

I’m not sure what the rules are for doing a second build, but may well do another PzIV before the end of the time limit, I want to do a DAK scheme and practice some colour modulation also keen to try out the new Tamiya desert yellow to see how it compares to XF-60.

It’s been a great experience and hopefully my WIP posts will improve over time 🙂 I will be following everyone’s builds with great interest.

• Like 9

Happy new year yetifan,

fantastic build, it was good following your build as I'm building the same kit. Nice comparison with the Tamyia kit, with the bits left over you could make a start on your second build.

• Haha 1