J35 Draken 1/144 (F-Toys+Shelf Oddity)

Rarely do I post a finished build, but perhaps the amount of builds started would leverage that.... 
No.

This Draken has been ready since about June, but other commitments (some of them can be applied as decals to 1/144 F4D, F-14s, F-15Es and F-16s - if one would follow the Shelf Oddity trace) stood in the way of doing proper photos.

The kit is F-Toys, sripped of the factory applied paint with the help of Wamod Acrylic Cleaner. Underneath the original paint you will see crisp panel lines, some fine details and loads of potential. The weakest part of the kit (or of all F-Toys kits in general) is the canopy.  Recently Brengun began to release vac-formed replacements, so this is less of an issue.  Gear doors in this kit had been replaced with prototype PE parts, some antennas added from the same fret, pitot and fin spike from Master. I scratch-built the main undercarriage legs, which ...kinda shows - I took the liberty of presenting only the photos that do not display this unwanted feature. Tail bumper-wheel were also scratchbuilt.

The Danish art of mantainence was the desired end effect:

ACtC-3drcgvlAaGrIUpF9rwrWX74XZzln4Z1L7Jb

ACtC-3dyA-ZFg2_L3oHEUzDFmy5zY40IYGHRz19C

ACtC-3eneLYSey2KcvMRbi8PXwsMLfm3-At00O5p

ACtC-3frO-BO55H7dA7FV1RpqIXJf3spNvXTXIlY

RLM02 from Valejo used as base and Hataka Blue Line B025 Interior Green for extensive touch-ups. Selected touch-ups received glossy highlight. In 1/144 two additional layers of paint, applied with the brush produce some noticable bumps....

Some panel lines were accented, some smoke stains added (a little too much?)... The finished model goes like this:

ACtC-3dZ1fOSu4fFB7U5JiXVdSS3lu1XngbwQZwE

ACtC-3fl3P_UWNc8s4WCI5p_EW1UU7_pNqBsakKh

ACtC-3eW0RlzJl3BCY1fysuQEONACbeFokYg2vyF

ACtC-3eqALxAJWzXEeigk8Nq7IZhLX30qzfbdSw3

ACtC-3fdYTcRbt5uCdAbGflsQHvXn6PUARG8easC

ACtC-3fni39hUV-HWdljAAYrHX675Bz47EilU7TP

ACtC-3eoZmivtja75E7MqS2M1_91wXPgRsML8PTR

ACtC-3eh6oHhpVR9HEmrTddV7naxt80fEqi62Ata

ACtC-3c1MNJhmr6Hf3o4js89Ej1GGfj3tJdO1hE6

ACtC-3ekRufsLrKaz36dR-BS8OujPpTsCvCajV-X

And well, that's it, really.

ACtC-3f4sc5TXikvOu3aiCSINe_obKfPyFbQuGdJ

Edited by Lejgo_inc
image re-link
  • Like 21

Yeah, yeah. I know the title of the thread mentions the scale but without the minifig, I wouldn't have believed it! How on earth you managed a finish like that on something so, erm, incredibly titchy, I'll never know. Respect. The RBF tag and cable just add to the authenticity...