hasegawa 1/72 F-111 reissue

ttyng0904

16 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I guess that depends on the age. I don't know if Hasegawa are still selling it but their old 1/72nd F-14A was being sold along side their newer one and there was a big price difference.

They still do: the old kits, with raised panel lines and more limited detail, can still be found in parallel with the more modern ones, with their loads of alternative parts, details, PE parts and so on.

The big price difference is not a matter of age, afterall today they are both pretty old mould (1977 the older, 1988 the newer). The difference is the complexity and number of parts of one one kit versus the other as the newer kit is much more complex and offers a very large number of parts compared to the simpler original kit.

Hasegawa's rationale for keeping the old kit in production was simple: since the Tomcat was (and still is) a very popular subject, by keeping the old kit available they catered for that part of the market that wanted a 1/72 Tomcat but was not ready to invest money and effort in what was then considered a "wonderkit".

Hasegawa has done the same with the Phantoms: the old F-4E is still available today even if the same company had issued a new line of much better and more complex kits at some point. As with the Tomcat, the price of the newer kits was such that it made sense to keep in catalogue the older kit to satisfy modellers with more limited budgets and/or less skills. What is a bit weird is the while the old F-4E is available, the more modern F-4E with slatted wings has been only occasionally reissued...

The same company followed a different approach with their F-104 kits: then the new tool became available, the old one dissappeared as overall their newer kit was still a simple enough product that could be offered at pretty much the same price. This was just not possible with the Tomcat or the Phantom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

They still do: the old kits, with raised panel lines and more limited detail, can still be found in parallel with the more modern ones, with their loads of alternative parts, details, PE parts and so on.

The big price difference is not a matter of age, afterall today they are both pretty old mould (1977 the older, 1988 the newer). The difference is the complexity and number of parts of one one kit versus the other as the newer kit is much more complex and offers a very large number of parts compared to the simpler original kit.

Hasegawa's rationale for keeping the old kit in production was simple: since the Tomcat was (and still is) a very popular subject, by keeping the old kit available they catered for that part of the market that wanted a 1/72 Tomcat but was not ready to invest money and effort in what was then considered a "wonderkit".

Hasegawa has done the same with the Phantoms: the old F-4E is still available today even if the same company had issued a new line of much better and more complex kits at some point. As with the Tomcat, the price of the newer kits was such that it made sense to keep in catalogue the older kit to satisfy modellers with more limited budgets and/or less skills. What is a bit weird is the while the old F-4E is available, the more modern F-4E with slatted wings has been only occasionally reissued...

The same company followed a different approach with their F-104 kits: then the new tool became available, the old one dissappeared as overall their newer kit was still a simple enough product that could be offered at pretty much the same price. This was just not possible with the Tomcat or the Phantom

Exactly, more modern kits often have more parts and sprues and more expensive tooling such as more use of slide molds, which is why often modellers expect old toolings to be cheaper.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, gavingav said:

You have to wonder why hasegawa don't have kits like the F-111, skyraider and the Beaufighter(before the airfix was released) on a more widespread release

They had a lot of reissues in new boxes, sometimes a few in one year:

• F-111: 1989 (initial release) ×5, 1992, 1993 ×2, 1996 ×2, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2019 ×2, 2021 [Hobby 2000] ×2
  • A-1:  1996 (initial release), 1997 ×3, 1998 ×2, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020
  • Beaufighter: 1998 (initial release) ×4, 1999 ×3, 2000, 2004, 2009, 2014, 2017 [MPM Production] ×3, 2019, 2019 [Hobby 2000] ×4, 2021 [Hobby 2000] ×4

On 3/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, gavingav said:

hard to believe that re-issues would not have been profitable

All new boxes mentioned above are even more profitable, as a brand new limited edition releases. I am far from being enthusiastic about such a business model, but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, plasticguy said:

And they took a major blow because of this US market.

Could I ask you to elaborate on this please? 

I get this discussion about price is subjective - but Hasegawa isn’t that expensive everywhere - F-111G was $35 aud last year? - to get a Buccaneer from Airfix would cost $50 aud - buying from Japan, Hasegawa (and Tamiya) is well priced. Price is very subjective and everyone has their own pain point, but when it comes to 1/72 F-111’s there really isn’t much choice.  And $35 here gets me a KP Piper P-25 - compare that kit to a Has F-111!!!!!

3 hours ago, Cammer625 said:

And $35 here gets me a KP Piper P-25 - compare that kit to a Has F-111!!!!!

Unfortunately, this is what we pay for transport, I guess. Here in Poland Piper costs 56.39 PLN (18,68 AUD), but this rebox of F-111 was priced at 179 PLN (59,30 AUD).

10 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Could I ask you to elaborate on this please? 

see Hasegawa newletters topic:

On 3/5/2021 at 2:30 PM, VMA131Marine said:

I have to wonder how much Hasegawa’s lack of new product is related to the Hobbico bankruptcy in the US. Hobbico was Hasegawa’s US distributor and when they went under they owed Hasegawa over $1 million. As an unsecured creditor, Hasegawa would have gotten little or, most likely, none of the money that was owed. As people have noted , Hasegawa is not a big company so that would have been a major financial hit and would have constrained what they could do in terms of new kits.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I note that there are 2 releases - an F-111 D/F and an F-111 F.   Does anyone know the differences between the two - I assume its the markings. Any details of the markings in the respective kits and are the parts the same (i.e weapons)?

Thanks

Rich

Note:

A little more research answered my own question! However since I asked and just in case anyone else is interested - here is the answer:

F-111 D/F 

F-111F 70-2386, "JEWEL 64", 493rd TFS, Operation "El Dorado Canyon", April 1986.  (SEA scheme)

F-111D 68-0090, 48th TFW, 523rd TFS, 27th TFW, Cannon Air Base, 1993. (Gunship Gray scheme)

F-111F Operation "Desert Storm"

F-111F 70-2390, "Miss of Liberty II", 48th TFW, Operation "Desert Storm", January 1991. 

F-111F 70-2370, 48th TFW, 494th TFS, Operation "Desert Storm", 1991.

Edited by RichG

54 minutes ago, RichG said:

I note that there are 2 releases - an F-111 D/F and an F-111 F.   Does anyone know the differences between the two - I assume its the markings. Any details of the markings in the respective kits and are the parts the same (i.e weapons)?

Hasegawa provide different parts for the engine exhausts for the two versions: the 'D models were fitted with P&W TF30-P-9 engines and the 'F models with more powerful P&W TF30-P-100 (later P-109) engines and what look like different fuel dump vents.

I don't know if the weapons options have been changed with the kits' reissue but the original versions included the bomb bay mounted M61 cannon carried by the 'D and the Pave Tack pod fitted to the 'F model when they flew from Lakenheath together with external tanks (carried infrequently)  and BLU-107/B Durandal which was (I believe) only carried by the F-111E.

11 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Personally, hasegawa can go to........ their kits are overpriced, cockpit detail is lacking AND, they never include ordinance. Decals are questionable as well.

Hobby 2000 reboxes have decals printed by Cartograf, so as long as research is correct, these decals are strong point.

On the other hand, I was very pleased to see the announcements of this rebox.... and gave up buying it when I saw the price. Here in Poland it is comparable to the price of F-14 from Fine Molds, and if you take into account the price of resin add-ons (wheels, exhaust nozzles, cockpit), it will easily reach the level of novelties from GWH.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I was very pleased to see the announcements of this rebox.... and gave up buying it when I saw the price.

Yea agree its quite expensive, but it makes a substantial model, accurate (afaik) and the plastic was very good in its day (c 1990), state of the art panel lines which probably stand comparison with modern kits and features extended flaps and slats. Itts got weapons included although I doubt the accuracy of the "load-out" for the aircraft featured so probably an area for the spares box or after market. I doubt it really needs new wheels.

As someone said earlier with quality decals and masks included it probably saves on the need for after market. putting it within striking distance of a FineMolds F-4E  or a GWH F-15E... perhaps - now there's a trio..

Rich

20 minutes ago, RichG said:

but it makes a substantial model, accurate (afaik) and the plastic was very good in its day (c 1990)

The F-111 from Hasegawa was released in 1989. I like history, but I'm not sentimental - this kit may have been great 32 years ago, but it's getting old.

At a price comparable to modern kits, its detail no longer stands up to that comparison. Here are the prices of the F-111 rebox and other modern Fine Molds and GWH models from the same shop:

• 127.00 PLN - F-15E "In action of OEF & OIF" (L7201 GWH)
  • 132.00 PLN - F-15I IAF Ra'am (L7202 GWH)
  • 137.00 PLN - F-15C Eagle MSIP II "USAF & ANG" (L7205 GWH)
  • 141.00 PLN - F-15J Eagle "JASDF Air Combat Meet 2013" (L7204 GWH)
  • 172.00 PLN - F-4EJ Fighter (FP 37 Fine Molds)
  • 172.00 PLN - F-4EJ Kai Fighter (FP 38 Fine Molds)
  • 179.00 PLN - F-111F "Operation Desert Storm" (72038 Hobby 2000)
  • 179.00 PLN - F-111D/F Aardvark (72044 Hobby 2000)
  • 187.00 PLN - F-14A Tomcat "USS Independence, 1995". (FP 32 Fine Molds)
  • 191.00 PLN - F-14A Tomcat (FP 30 Fine Molds)
  • 219.00 PLN - F-14D Tomcat (L7203 GWH)
  • 219.00 PLN - F-14A Tomcat (L7206 GWH)
  • 223.00 PLN - Su-35S "Flanker-E" (L7207 GWH)

Its price with the aforementioned resin add-ons will far exceed that of the Su-35S.

From my point of view and considering that I have about 200 aircraft to build plus at least 100 vehicles, I can wait 5-10 years for Hasegawa's successor. Sooner or later some company will decide to re-release the entire F-111 family. I wouldn't be surprised if it was ClearProp, for example, with their fantastic detailing. I can wait for such a model, I am in no hurry.

1 hour ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:
  • 179.00 PLN - F-111F "Operation Desert Storm" (72038 Hobby 2000)
  • 179.00 PLN - F-111D/F Aardvark (72044 Hobby 2000)

That works out to about $48 USD here in the states. With Revell reboxes of old Monogram 1/48 WWII fighters going for about $30, $48 for the rebox of the Hasegawa F-111s doesn't sound bad ... to me at least. Admittedly, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I'd really like to see new mold F-111 in both 1/72 and (for me) 1/48 scale.

Plenty of people complaining about the price but they seem to be selling well going by Hannants top ten where the two boxings very quickly went to the top two places. I suspect that most people won't be adding any AM to the kit, so they see it as just the one purchase.

Here in the UK the kit is a little less than the Hasegawa reboxing of their F-4 kits and you get masks and decent decals with the Hobby2000 kits, so when compared to Hasegawa boxings they are not a bad deal.

But compared to other companies Hasegawa kits are expensive here and I haven't paid full, or near full price for one in a long time, though that was helped when Hasegawa's aircraft production just became reboxing.

I won't be buying this kit as I bought my Hasegawa F-111's back in the 90's and paid £4.99 each for them 😄

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

From my point of view and considering that I have about 200 aircraft to build plus at least 100 vehicles,

Yeah me too! ... I sure am tempted though 🙂

Rich

I hope Hasegawa change their decal print material as their decals "yellow" after a few years and become a complete write off - very noticeable for any decals that are supposed to have white in them...

Hobby 2000 are to be congratulated for their re-issues of Fujimi, Hasegawa and Dragon kits etc... even if prices are high am still waiting for them repop Fujimi A-4E/F in 1/72...

Will buy one each of the F-111 repops, would have bought more but for price...

Although I have ordered one from Hannants, I do get the grumbles about the price. Seems to me I can get the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit for the same money and I hear it's a decent kit. Would have done that too, but 1/48 48th TFW decals are hens teeth.

1 hour ago, Uncle Dick said:

I hope Hasegawa change their decal print material as their decals "yellow" after a few years and become a complete write off - very noticeable for any decals that are supposed to have white in them...

Hobby 2000 are to be congratulated for their re-issues of Fujimi, Hasegawa and Dragon kits etc... even if prices are high am still waiting for them repop Fujimi A-4E/F in 1/72...

Will buy one each of the F-111 repops, would have bought more but for price...

Some Hasegawa decals do use a purer white which doesn't seem to be a problem, but some use the ivory white which seems to yellow quickly, though I found they bleach in the sun fine. Here's my F-20 using Hasegawa's decals which were very discoloured to start with.

P1028733EW

• Like 8