hasegawa 1/72 F-111 reissue

ttyng0904

The new issue of Scale Aviation magazine out today in Japan. It has interview of Hasegawa's designers who was responsible for new tooling 1/72 F-14 and F-111 back in late 80s to early 90s. They recalls about how they enjoyed over-engineering in Tomcat and Ardverk's details. The article closes with the information that they are planning to reissue F-111 in March next year or later (variation and markings TBD).

• Like 5

they have more things to reissue (pic related) but if they do the F-111A first then I'll be selling out the standard E boxing instead of converting it to an A by using F-111C/G spare fuselage parts.

The sad thing is I can't find Aussie decals sheet with the full stencils set anymore, and the store who sells it through evilbay doesn't ship to Italy.Also there is a dire need of good aftermarket decals with stencil data included for the other versions too.Superscale set is kinda old, generic and I think is also missing something around the Pave Tack area

M2zKr1d.jpg

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 1

I would think there's a good chance some aftermarket for the F-111 will appear, quite possibly including B conversion parts. The only problem I see is a £60 or £70 price tag for the Hasegawa kit.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

An reissue with F-111B parts (like the old Revell kit) would be nice...

/André

A nice conversion can be had with the Hasegawa F-111C kit, the old Revell kit, some occasional styrene card stock, and bits and pieces from the spares box. Oh, and some home printed decals. Here's mine:

IMG_1400

If you're interested, here's the WIP:

I love the Hasegawa 'Varks. I only wish they made it a bit easier to build with the wings swept. If I recall correctly, there are some guides moulded on the inside of the fuselage to show you where to cut open the slots for the swept wing, but I would have preferred inserts. And two sets of wings, the second with the control surfaces neutral.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19

YAY!!!

I built the bi-centennial one as a kid, which was hastily re-painted after the Lybia business into a service scheme.

Would like to get a couple for the stash as non-eBay fantasy prices.

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

A nice conversion can be had with the Hasegawa F-111C kit, the old Revell kit, some occasional styrene card stock, and bits and pieces from the spares box. Oh, and some home printed decals. Here's mine:

IMG_1400

If you're interested, here's the WIP:

I love the Hasegawa 'Varks. I only wish they made it a bit easier to build with the wings swept. If I recall correctly, there are some guides moulded on the inside of the fuselage to show you where to cut open the slots for the swept wing, but I would have preferred inserts. And two sets of wings, the second with the control surfaces neutral.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I did that conversion years ago first with an old Revell kit. And the second time with an Hasegawa kit. Almost used the same parts. Also made an mould so I can make new parts.

Hasegawa did something similar with the Blue Angels F-11F Tiger. So it wouldn't be the first time. Frog also made something similar with their Arado Ar 234 as did Dragon.

But what I want now is an F-111B with the "uprised production cockpit" and semilong nose...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andre B said:

But what I want now is an F-111B with the "production cockpit" and semilong nose...

Ah, one of these:

152715 resamp

I'd like to do one of those too. I think the conversion would be simpler, as these last two F-111B prototypes were more like the USAF versions. According to what I've read, the raised "production" cockpit was never built. There are some typos in the books that say it was. It was scheduled to be part of the production airframes, but the program was cancelled before they got to that point. The two foot longer nose, Triple Plow II intakes, and wing gloves were on the last two prototypes, 152714 and 152715.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andre B said:

I did that conversion years ago first with an old Revell kit. And the second time with an Hasegawa kit. Almost used the same parts. Also made an mould so I cam make new parts.

Any links on photo You conversions?

9 minutes ago, Andre B said:

But what I want now is an F-111B with the "production cockpit" and semilong nose...

.....full model in plastic??? No resin detail set conversion???

For this You need 

Eastern European Santa Clauses from the model industry!

Maybe when they run out of all their VJ-101, VAK-191, IL-102, Mirage III-V, T-10, e.t.c.

they’ll go for F-111B?

😁

B.R.

Serge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

For this You need 

Maybe when they run out of all their VJ-101, VAK-191, IL-102, Mirage III-V, T-10, e.t.c.

they’ll go for F-111B? 😁

Ha, there are a lot of things on my wish list that I need Santa Claus for!   :)

The link to my F-111B build thread is in my first post above (post #5). Lots of photos of the build as it progressed.

Cheers,

Bill

8 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

For this You need 

they’ll go for F-111B?

😁

B.R.

Serge 

It is not that much work for Hasegawa. Only two more sprues with new fuselage parts, nose, wheels and cockpit with clear parts... ;)

I still have my old kits but the Hasegawa kit is almost the same as Bill's but lacks decals. The Revell kit was built for over 25 years ago but is damaged and waits for repair (I took the short nose of for the mould job and the Hasegawa kit).

I was inspired by an "prototype and produktion build article" in the magazine "Fine Scale Modeller" by Paul Boyer (?) with the Revell and Hasegawa kits.

It was long before the "internet era" and in those days it was really hard to get knewledge, find and get resin parts for aircrafts as F-111B.

I have never found an old Revell kit with the F-111B nose left...

Cheers / André

13 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Ha, there are a lot of things on my wish list that I need Santa Claus for!   :)

The link to my F-111B build thread is in my first post above (post #5). Lots of photos of the build as it progressed.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I followed your build with great interest as I had done that type of build twice before. You made me searching my kits in my collection of built and unbuilt kits and also put a layer of "gull gray paint" on my F-111B. So after 20 years its almost time for some decals... :)

You made an fantastic work with your "B" Bill!

Cheers / André

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The link to my F-111B build thread is in my first post above (post #5).

As for my, this scary 😁 topic, because in this

topic Navy Bird

was going to cut off the Aardvark's

nose*:

On 4/20/2017 at 2:06 AM, Navy Bird said:

I slice off the Aardvark's nose

this "pulp fiction"** in Tarantino style😁

about cut  F-111 

not for my sensitive Aardvark personalities!!!

😁😁😁

If serious, I have only one F-111, it's F-111A Hasegawa. I planned  to build two F-111 - "A" & "B".

Yes, I have Microscale decal for F-111B version, 

but the need to buy two models (Hasegawa and old Revell) for 

build F-111B, stops me even in spite of the beautiful topic Navy Bird about the building of the F-111B.

*- For what???

😲

I will not tell anyone about what Navy Bird maked with Attacker !!!!

😁😁😁

**- here I use this expression in the sense of a "crime novel", as usual, this expression is translated into Russian.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

As for my, this scary 😁 topic, because in this

topic Navy Bird

was going to cut off the Aardvark's

nose*:

this "pulp fiction"** in Tarantino style😁

about cut  F-111 

not for my sensitive Aardvark personalities!!!

😁😁😁

If serious, I have only one F-111, it's F-111A Hasegawa. I planned  to build two F-111 - "A" & "B".

Yes, I have Microscale decal for F-111B version, 

but the need to buy two models (Hasegawa and old Revell) for 

build F-111B, stops me even in spite of the beautiful topic Navy Bird about the building of the F-111B.

*- For what???

😲

I will not tell anyone about what Navy Bird maked with Attacker !!!!

😁😁😁

**- here I use this expression in the sense of a "crime novel", as usual, this expression is translated into Russian.

B.R.

Serge

But the only kit you need to buy is an longwinged Hasegawa F-111G (what I remember) and an nose job kit for the F-111B.

Ok, there is som other parts that can be used from the Revell kit like the afterburner cans and the tail. But the same but different parts will be left over from the Hasegawa kit... 

Cheers / André

9 hours ago, Aardvark said:

they’ll go for F-111B?

So... do you know somethint the rest of us do not, or just teasing us? :)

On 12/15/2018 at 12:51 AM, spaddad said:

I would think there's a good chance some aftermarket for the F-111 will appear, quite possibly including B conversion parts. The only problem I see is a £60 or £70 price tag for the Hasegawa kit.

Agreed. These were really excellent kits but, I will simply do without them at that sort of price level.

Allan

7 hours ago, Apex said:

So... do you know somethint the rest of us do not, or just teasing us? :)

No, just a joke.

But in every joke there is some truth. If you look at the assortment of some Eastern European companies, it can be noted that they did not have American aircraft, there were French, German, Egyptian(!?) and of course Soviet experimental aircraft .... there was no American!

Now Modelsvit made XP-55 at 1/48.

What is a deviation from the rules or a trend?

I dont know. But this creates certain hopes for the emergence of a line of American experimental aircraft.

And maybe we see F-111B?

B.R.

Serge

This is great news, although unlikely it would be cool if they reissued the A or F versions in a white box, to keep it in the market for longer. The A version is the only non-Aussie one I am missing (got one of each FB, E and F)

On 12/14/2018 at 2:42 PM, Silverkite said:

The sad thing is I can't find Aussie decals sheet with the full stencils set anymore, and the store who sells it through evilbay doesn't ship to Italy.

Maybe find a member in another country and work out a deal for them to buy it and re-ship it to Italy ? 

• 1 month later...

I built the F-111F when it first came out in 1989 and it was a gorgeous kit.

Would like a Raven, an E and an F. Hasegawa should have pantographed these up to 1/48 scale, but 1/72 is good when these are still the best Aardvark kits to date.

Tony 

7 hours ago, tony.t said:

I built the F-111F when it first came out in 1989 and it was a gorgeous kit.

Would like a Raven, an E and an F. Hasegawa should have pantographed these up to 1/48 scale, but 1/72 is good when these are still the best Aardvark kits to date.

Tony 

You're in luck. The Raven is set to re-released in April:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10591094

• Thanks 1

This is about the Hasegawa kit, how does the Monogram EF-111 compare besides the flaps option? I got one for very little and want to make sure it's decent. I want to make the Navy bird with the flaps down. Reading here, there's a bit of work needed to do.