Su-34 Fullback Build Review 1:48

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

K... not much to show for my efforts this time around, mainly because I've been busy with other stuff (Christmas I suppose?), so I've primed most of the assemblies I've got ready, and yesterday I put the basic colour on the cockpit interior, with more to come.  In the meantime, I've been giving thought to the flying surfaces and other sub-assemblies that I can put together and get ready for when they're needed down the line.  This batch has included the wings, tail fins and elevators.  The tail fins have an insert near the inner base, so that the intake on the front can be hollow.  This needs a little scraping and fettling to get the parts level, to ease the filling of the join, which isn't on a panel line.  A couple of test-fits later and I was happy with the lay of the parts, so I glued them and then filled the join with tape either side to keep the filler getting into all the nice detail.  When I've sanded the filler back I'll reinstate the panel lines and rivets.  There's a similar join on the wings, where they get too thin to use two parts, so there's another seam that will need hiding.  I carried out the same process, and while I was there I extended a panel line that stops at the joint, just by running a scriber over it a couple of times.  The elevators were simple, with the shark-fin added to the back of each one, being careful to put them on the correct direction, as they fit reasonably well the wrong way round too.  Take care ;) Some mould seams have been sanded on the edges of the parts in preparation, and here's where we're at.

flyingsurfaces1.jpg

You might have noticed the main gear bay doors in the bottom of the pic, which have an insert that fits inside.  I figured I'd get this done now, and did the usual fettling bit, adjusting the mould-seams and lie of the parts so they'd fit as well as possible.  I managed to get a gluey finger-print on one though, so I'll need to clear up that mistake later :doh:

Meantime, I'll be carrying on with the painting of the cockpit, and working up toward painting the gear bays too, which I've chosen a nice Neutral Grey (H53) for, unless anyone's got a better suggestion? :)

Happy New Year Britmodeller! :yahoo:

• Like 3

The wings have been sanded back and test-primed, so I'm moving on to more sub-assemblies.  The landing gear seemed like a good idea, so I began removing the parts from the sprues and making them up into sub-sub-assemblies.  The main legs and their cross-members can be made up separately and sprung into place later, which is a good thing, as there's a bit of a seam to fill at the bottom of the oleo, which is handily placed in a recess.  Two coats of carefully applied filler and scraping back later, and they're good enough.  I also built up the main wheels, and decided that while they were perfectly adequate, I wanted a little more detail, so to save me from having to add the missing circumferential treads (2 of), I picked up a set of Eduard resin wheels, which although they're patterned to the HB kit will fit this just fine.  Even down to the axle width :yes:  You can see the difference, although I think the resin wheels might need a few extra PSI before they attempt take-off ;)

wheels1.jpg

The mudguard is superbly well detailed, but I'll check that fits later on.  I'm going back to the cockpit now to add a bit more colour, and begin the detail painting.  Wish me luck! :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the patchy progress on this, it's been due to stuffs that needed doing elsewhere, but I'm still putting a bit of time into it when I can.  T'other day I got a set of metal gear legs from Song at KH, which are going to be a great help.  Here's a pic of the parts that I took for the quick review I did earlier today:

sprue1.jpg

Blinkin' lovely, and barely a tap of prep-work needs doing before I can get them painted.  I've stripped the ancillary parts off the kit nose gear leg to glue onto the metal one, and will get the rest done soon once I have given them a bath in vinegar to micro-etch them and clean off any mould release.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tk1608 said:

Just got this kit today. It looks amazing.

Just wondered if you could let

me know where to get that metal landing gear please.

It looks a lot better than the white metal ones.

cheers

Phil :)

Those are supposedly to be released with the version 2.0 of the kit and are not available. G-Factor models also does the main gear legs in brass and they are available online. I have the G Factor...would rather get the KH legs as they include the front as well and have oleo's molded as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/03/2019 at 22:52, Blue_Centurion said:

So where might this Fullback be? Any surprises for us?

TBH I've been too busy to do any modelling lately :( I'm hoping to get back to the build soon, but I can't promise anything concrete. It's a shame, as I'm getting toward the fun part ^_^

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, tk1608 said:

Do you know if there’s any chance of being able to get a set of the kitty hawk gear seperately at some point ?

thanks

Phil

They have been available on e-Bay. I got a set there. I contacted Kitty Hawk through e-Bay to find out when they would be available again as the current batch is sold out. Sophia, a very nice lady that I have been dealing with there, said the earliest was May. These parts evidently take quite some time and effort to produce.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hallo

Since you build a lot of jets:

One suggestion: Take as metal gear veside SAC the Upwind series. 

It is a world in between!

They are much more accurate. To compare with Resin from the 90s and today!

Happy modelling

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...