1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.R. Mk.XIVe by Airfix - released

Homebee

@Ka-Efka I was surprised to see three videos of the same  topic yesterday when I entered YouTube. My favourite by far was that of Champion Scale Modelling, who gives a 15 minute review of the Spit.

46 minutes ago, Barbouille said:

Very well, but only clipped wings tips ?

Nope if you look at the sprue shots the upper wing has the tips on it, presumably you cut off the upper part if you want a clipped Spit....much better than having a clipped wing you have to attach a complete wingtip to - also the clipped tips are in clear which is a nice touch for the nav lights :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Great review- the Kit Kat cracked me up! Did the reviewer put it in there! :)

Well, the Kit Kat is in the instructions, but you might have to check the use by date if the kit is going into the stash! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

My Kit Kat was short shot. Easy enough fix with a bit of filler and basic modelling skills, though it did taste a bit funny....

Awful panel lines as well ...like trench’s !! 

• Haha 1

Just as a matter of interest, how long is it normally on a pre-order between Airfix taking the money from your PayPal account and the product arriving? Money was taken from my account 15 days ago, and the notification was followed by an email saying my Spitfires were being prepared for despatch.

My uncharitable thought would be to add 'By snail, presumably.... ', since I've had ne'er a notification or a parcel, but before concluding this, my sense of fairness made me wonder if this sort of delay is normal. I ask since this is my first purchase direct from Airfix and I thus have no experience of whether the gap between taking cash and the customer getting the parcel is usually this long (I accept that they may have had a 'wow, we didn't realise how popular this would be' moment and that this has delayed things).

I have shared your experience,which I found puzzling,considering the eagerness in Airfix's invitation to pre-order.I have never had this problem with them before.I contacted Airfix,and received a reply on Tuesday,apologising,and stating that insufficient kits had been received,but that more were expected at the end of the month.At least cash flow should be o.k.,so I hope for quick despatch of the order.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I have shared your experience,which I found puzzling,considering the eagerness in Airfix's invitation to pre-order.I have never had this problem with them before.I contacted Airfix,and received a reply on Tuesday,apologising,and stating that insufficient kits had been received,but that more were expected at the end of the month.At least cash flow should be o.k.,so I hope for quick despatch of the order.

I called Airfix today and got the same information over the phone from the customer service rep.

Edited by VMA131Marine

Guess there is panic at Airfix at the moment. I did not order mine from Airfix directly but from Hannants. At least they do not charge me in advance. It seems that the initial demand has been much larger than expected. But frustrating to log in to Hannants and the first you see is Airfix Mk.XIV expected soon. I would have liked to get mine before the BR.... just to escape paying customs etc.

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Yes the lines on the Kit Kat are like trenches as well ;)

Didn't you expect it ?  Just another brick in the Airfix 20th century wall and details look like they were made up out a block of soap !

In the video the reviewer said it all "Airfix kindly sent me … "

I stopped buying Airfix as you can't trust them ! (Uneven quality, non existent quality control, but a lot of 21th Century biased com !)

Madcop 😡

48 minutes ago, madcop said:

Didn't you expect it ?  Just another brick in the Airfix 20th century wall and details look like they were made up out a block of soap !

In the video the reviewer said it all "Airfix kindly sent me … "

I stopped buying Airfix as you can't trust them ! (Uneven quality, non existent quality control, but a lot of 21th Century biased com !)

Madcop 😡

Yes you can stop buying them but they make damned interesting subjects.

Put some Eduard etched items into them, and they suddenly improve vastly.

• Like 1

Looked at the video in post #152.

I estimate that the surface details are equivalent to the PR.XIX. I'd say that it is a slight step backwards by Airfix, would have preferred the slightly finer, more restrained lines as in the Spit Vb (05125). But I have experimented with sanding the PR.XIX surface down with wet'n'dry with very pleasing results. An interesting aspect is that too even panel lines/detail can subtly be varied which gives life to the surface. Too thick trailing edges, as on the PR.XIX, are easily handled this way as well.  

If that is not an alternative, buy the Academy FR.XIVe instead.

Parts breakdown looks almost identical to the Vb, in fact, some parts do look identical.  To me that is promising, the fit aginst PR.XIX fuselage parts may be the best way towards a high-back F.XIV? I'll take an immediate look as soon as I have the parts in my hand and will let you know.   

If that is not an alternative, buy the Academy Mk.XIVc instead. Or wait for the Tamigawa one.

An alternative to Eduard etch may be the (OOP) Cooper detail Spitfire 22 Seafire 47 cockpit kit, well worth looking for! It will fit the Vb like a glove (made a dry check), I therefore suppose that it will fit this one equally as well. Hopefully Roy Sutherland is busy allready... 

Eduard Brassin has announced some AM goodies for this kit.

Edited by Tomas Enerdal

8 hours ago, NPL said:

Guess there is panic at Airfix at the moment. I did not order mine from Airfix directly but from Hannants. At least they do not charge me in advance. It seems that the initial demand has been much larger than expected. But frustrating to log in to Hannants and the first you see is Airfix Mk.XIV expected soon. I would have liked to get mine before the BR.... just to escape paying customs etc.

I think it's more likely that the shipment of kits was smaller than expected. Airfix will have known the demand from trade customers and their own website for some time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

If that is not an alternative, buy the Academy FR.XIVe instead.

The Academy kit is really not an alternative if you want an accurate model. Well, not without a lot of surgery anyway.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Academy kit is really not an alternative if you want an accurate model. Well, not without a lot of surgery anyway.

You're right, ACADEMY fuselage is crap. If you still want to get a Spitfire XIV out of it you'd better start looking for the Old DACO correction set …. OOP.

Still better to start from the good OLD Airfix PR XIX. from the time when people had eyes and were looking at aircrafts and not at PC Screens !

If LIDAR is so  great I suppose Airfix still hasn't found someone with at least some interest in aviation who can use it !

Madcop.

I didn’t order from Airfix either ( postage too high to Europe ) but Jadlam, who are probably behind Hannants in the queue so I won,t hold my breath while waiting for it to arrive.

I would also use the Airfix PR XIX to produce a high back Mk XIV by the way.

Edited by Biggles87

1 hour ago, madcop said:

You're right, ACADEMY fuselage is crap. If you still want to get a Spitfire XIV out of it you'd better start looking for the Old DACO correction set …. OOP.

Still better to start from the good OLD Airfix PR XIX. from the time when people had eyes and were looking at aircrafts and not at PC Screens !

If LIDAR is so  great I suppose Airfix still hasn't found someone with at least some interest in aviation who can use it !

Madcop.

You can fit the Daco set until you are blue in the face, and the Academy kit will still be a grossly distorted representation with a hugely too deep fuselage. The  Academy wing is also far too deep. The whole kit is just a cartoon notion of an actual Spitfire. 

The Airfix XIX is fundamentally accurate.

I don't understand your last sentence at all.