1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.R. Mk.XIVe by Airfix - released

Homebee

What is going on with this Spitfire? It all looked perfectly good when shown at Telford last November - and 6 months later is still not available.

John

7 hours ago, jaw said:

What is going on with this Spitfire? It all looked perfectly good when shown at Telford last November - and 6 months later is still not available.

John

What's the rush? We've wait this long for a good XIV, a bit longer shouldn't matter. It's better that they get it right than rush it out with molding faults and accuracy errors.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jaw said:

John

She's going trough the Airfix Quality Control Inquisitor ! (Missing plastic-Filling of the trenches-Wrong instructions-Replacing of the Blenheim canopy with the good one-etc... 😉)

Madcop

• Haha 3

It's one thing to have a couple of good test shots, which is what we had at Telford. It's another thing to have a full commercial load of finished product, QC'd, boxed, decalled and delivered across a number of long ocean voyages

Given the number of complaints people have made here - legitimately - about Airfix QC over the last few years, I don't want my examples of this kit to have weird canopy flaws, poor quality plastic, sinkage or other problems.

• Like 4

Last weekend the Airfix stand at the Euromodel-Show in Lingen (Lower Saxony/Germany) had a single ready packed example with them. The unopened still bagged plastic left a good impression, the clear parts were invisible hidden between the usual blue/grey sprues, decals looked ok, the instructions still missing the parts overview/sprue representation. We were told that the container had/has not arrived yet and the release should be end of Apr/beginning of May.

Rgds

Andreas Beck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I  always expect Airfix to be a month out on their release dates but as @Tomas Enerdal says, what happens if it's after Bidet, as I like to call it.  I've pre-ordered and paid for mine, and after waiting so long for a Mk XIV and not having a LMS to go to I will not be a happy bunny if I have to wait longer/pay more. :angry:

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I  always expect Airfix to be a month out on their release dates but as @Tomas Enerdal says, what happens if it's after Bidet, as I like to call it.  I've pre-ordered and paid for mine, and after waiting so long for a Mk XIV and not having a LMS to go to I will not be a happy bunny if I have to wait longer/pay more. :angry:

That is exactly also my problem, with two on my list from Hannants. 

31 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

Is there a chance that Airfix will dowscale it to 1/72 ? 

Patrice

Alas, I think not.

I asked this question on the Airfix stand at Telford and was told "but all that lovely detail would be lost".

Besides that they have yet to downscale anything.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Denford said:

Alas, I think not.

I asked this question on the Airfix stand at Telford and was told "but all that lovely detail would be lost".

Besides that they have yet to downscale anything.

Hi Denford

Thanks a lot for your answer ...

Bad news in fact it's really a shame after the research that Airfix did for this kit ...

After all they upscaled their 1/72 Hawker Typhoon , P51D Mustang , Spit XIX , Defiant etc... 

If I don't make a mistake  only Sword and Fujimi  produced the FR XIV in 1/72 ?

All the best

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

23 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Denford

Bad news in fact it's really a shame after the research that Airfix did for this kit ...

After all they upscaled their 1/72 Hawker Typhoon , P51D Mustang , Spit XIX , Defiant etc... 

All the best

Patrice

Academy XIVc, and as bad as their 1:48s. And in the very old days: Frog. 

20 hours ago, NPL said:

Academy XIVc, and as bad as their 1:48s. And in the very old days: Frog. 

Good morning NPL

I was thinking of low back model , Academy and Frog kits represent the High Back model ...

All the best

Patrice

It is getting closer.  Airfix have put out the "arriving soon and last chance to pre-order" email and Eduard in a recent FB post have shown work on their aftermarket items for this model.

Having pre-ordered late last year, I am happy to see that the release is getting closer.  Will be interesting to see what we get from Barracuda Studios, if much like their Spitfire PR.XIX items, should be some good enhancements to the basic kit mouldings if required.

Edited by ColFord
Typo
  • Like 3

Putting my tongue firmly in my cheek, I have to ask of those who are desperate to have this kit in their hands, are you intending to sweep everything else off the worktop and crack on with it, or is that Spitfire XIV-shaped hole in your stash collecting too much dust?

• Haha 6

On 4/4/2019 at 3:03 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Denford

All the best

Patrice

AZ also did the low back, the kit is moulded with the larger Mk.18 tail in place but the smaller type is included in the sprues. The kit is OOP but can still be found

Seriously,

I'm the kind of modeller that buy a kit early, invest a lot in AM and references, plan a lot and spend weeks on endless research. Rather often projects tend to stall due to accuracy issues, I'm a real nitpicker.

This time I have allready started with AM, references, and research. I have studied the Mk.18 wings for months now, I guess I know what they looked like. I believe I have most of the AM needed allready, mostly Cooper Details/Barracuda studios. Roy's old but beautiful Spit 22/4, Seafire 47 interior allready contains everything needed for a FR.18 cockpit. I will steaL a placard decal from one of the Snapshot Cockpit Upgrades, however.

Will do the N/TP 391 in 208 squadron, desert colours.

My hobby desk is clean and empty, just waiting for this kit to arrive! It was long since I have waited with such anticipation for a kit, I'm a bit surprised myself, how youthfully eager I am. I will most certainly crack on with it!  I do hope that Roy Sutherland will start immediately with his gilding AM, he will most certainly find out whats' needed. I suppose he's the most spit-loving yank there is... 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Putting my tongue firmly in my cheek, I have to ask of those who are desperate to have this kit in their hands, are you intending to sweep everything else off the worktop and crack on with it, or is that Spitfire XIV-shaped hole in your stash collecting too much dust?

I'm one of those that while I really want a Mk.XIV, I'll wait for the early purchasers to find out if there are any mismolds or short shots and then if so buy a later run/boxing :)

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Have waited for it for more than 20 years. The dust hole is filled up.

• Haha 1