1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.R. Mk.XIVe by Airfix - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, PDH said:

Well my pre-order for 2 kits arrived from Airfix this afternoon. A very quick box opening and it all looks very nice.

Only one disappointment- no Kit Kat included in either box🙁

P

Well, that's me out then, no Kit Kat, no buy!

• Haha 2

Mine came today and it all looks great - I’m going to do an immediate and slightly chippy high back conversion using Airfix’s recent mk vb to source the spine, as it’s a direct ancestor to the new kit. I have to say I was disappointed with the choice of low back, but what can you do? 

A quick look at the sprues confirms the xiv’s heritage - it’s a perfect match. The Vb will supply the canopy (exactly the same windshield moulding to snuggle on top of the fuel tank, and also various bulginesses of sliding hood), spine, cockpit framing, head armour and rear view mirror, the new kit for the rest. 

The likelihood of this is approaching zero I’m sure but it’d be smart for Airfix (or someone else for that matter!) to release these mouldings as a conversion kit - I’m sure I’m not the only one who shares Ginger Lacey’s view on this matter. Thanks Airfix, sincerely it looks great, can’t wait to get cracking!! 

Not me. I've always felt that the Griffon Spit suited the low back look, so no disappointment from me, but it's all just opinion at the end of the day. Having spoken to a fair few ex Spitfire jockeys in my time on this subject, their preference was all for the extra visibility afforded by the tear drop canopy. We all know Ginger Lacey's quote on the subject, but was it based purely on aesthetics in his view as opposed to operational practicalities? 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, NPL said:

well, well, well, it seems that some people at Airfix have severely miscalculated the demand. This is quite ridiculous: Available -- out of stock -- available -- out of stock.....

That's been the case for almost every single Airfix new release for the past few years - Sea Fury, Phantom, Mustang, Walrus and now the Spit. You'd think someone in the Hornby supply chain would have figured it out by now, but no....

7 hours ago, Scott_ said:

That's been the case for almost every single Airfix new release for the past few years - Sea Fury, Phantom, Mustang, Walrus and now the Spit. You'd think someone in the Hornby supply chain would have figured it out by now, but no....

Or perhaps it shows the difficulty accurately predicting the demand.  Or maybe the production run had to be split into two or more parts.  Over production (which clearly happened in the past) results for immoveable stock, which has to be cleared at 'uneconomic' prices.  Or maybe the shipment had to be divided, one part arriving more or less on time, the other later.

The fact that they haven't 'figured it out by now shows' that either a) They lack a magic wand and/or b) The solution is nowhere as easy as some would have us believe.

2 minutes ago, Denford said:

Or perhaps it shows the difficulty accurately predicting the demand.  Or maybe the production run had to be split into two or more parts.  Over production (which clearly happened in the past) results for immoveable stock, which has to be cleared at 'uneconomic' prices.  Or maybe the shipment had to be divided, one part arriving more or less on time, the other later.

The fact that they haven't 'figured it out by now shows' that either a) They lack a magic wand and/or b) The solution is nowhere as easy as some would have us believe.

They may be tight on working capital. Selling a modest order completely for fast cash and not having to carry stock is far preferable to the alternative if that's the case. There might be slight loss of economies of scale but for any business facing the pinch, maintaining cash flow and adequate working capital takes priority over level of accounting profitability  

• Like 1

Yeah Fightersweep I couldn’t agree more - as someone whose life doesn’t depend on       Seeing an tiny black speck behind me it’s a purely aesthetic choice! I’m sure at least some of the pilots under his command would have been dismayed as the low back a/c were flown away to be replaced by “proper” spitfires! Or perhaps their CO felt exposed by the cut down rear fuselage? IIRC some early F-16 pilots reported feelings of vulnerability after their snug phantom cockpits!

so yeah it’s horses for courses - perhaps Airfix could have given us both options with a break line along the main longeron

?? Anyhow I’m very much looking forward to the build 

cheers

7 minutes ago, MattSimps74 said:

Yeah Fightersweep I couldn’t agree more - as someone whose life doesn’t depend on       Seeing an tiny black speck behind me it’s a purely aesthetic choice! I’m sure at least some of the pilots under his command would have been dismayed as the low back a/c were flown away to be replaced by “proper” spitfires! Or perhaps their CO felt exposed by the cut down rear fuselage? IIRC some early F-16 pilots reported feelings of vulnerability after their snug phantom cockpits!

so yeah it’s horses for courses - perhaps Airfix could have given us both options with a break line along the main longeron

?? Anyhow I’m very much looking forward to the build 

cheers

My italics, but I heard Airfix at Telford explaining that the internal details are different for high and low backs.  This gives difficulties in merely providing different fuselages.

I'm sure Airfix have considered 'all options' and whatever reasons made the choice which we now see.

MattSimps74: I'm sure I read an article in a magazine which contained an interview with an ex 17 Squadron pilot. Apparently there were grumblings as their shiny new low back Spits were whisked away from them. Must see if I can find it! I do get the thought about vulnerability though. I can just imagine those Luftwaffe crews feeling the same way when they started being equipped with the He 111P after the earlier stepped cockpit designs. That must have felt vulnerable!

As for the Spitfire XIV high back. I will be very, very surprised if Airfix don't eventually release this variant.

Steve

Perhaps Lacey’s dislike for the Mk XIV was coloured by the fact that he very nearly killed himself in one.

( Ginger Lacey: Fighter Pilot by Richard Townshend  Bickers )

Edited by Biggles87

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

As for the Spitfire XIV high back. I will be very, very surprised if Airfix don't eventually release this variant.

Steve

It seems that Airfix never stops surprising us!

Edited by NPL

3 hours ago, drwho said:

can i use the wings off a mkxv1 spitfire  on an airfix mk 22

There would be two issues with that approach to getting a Mk XIV

1. The Mk.22 and Mk.24 had the bigger Spiteful type vertical tail and extended span horizontal airplanes.

2. The radiators on a Griffin-powered Mk.XIV were deeper than those on the Merlin-powered Mk.XVI

Those are both fixable issues but will involve more work than just switching wings.

If the Spitfire XIV is “out”, why is it not available anywhere but from Airfix directly? They seem to be undercutting their retailers by selling directly before servicing their merchants. Wise policy? I, for one, don’t order from them since I purchased on old mold Buccaneer and paid more for the postage (to USA) than the kit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NPL said:

It seems that Airfix never stops surprising us!

With AIRFIX, that's the least we can say !

Madcop 😉

1 hour ago, Trenton guy said:

If the Spitfire XIV is “out”, why is it not available anywhere but from Airfix directly?

Maybe because they don't have to deal with intermidiaries and ends up being slightly cheaper. Maybe.

Mine arrived on 29th, initial look through the parts is positive, no issues with "short shot" injection. 

The plastic is a slightly different colour from that of the Sea Fury. 

Interesting that the upper wing tips have to be cut down to eliminate the tips, the lower wing is already clipped. This suggests further versions to come. 

Also, the fin has to be cut down to take the larger rudder. 

If you want to have the cockpit door open it has to be cut out, but a replacement is provided. 

Interestingly the box says "Made in England", not Made in India. 

This will be a fun build. 

• Like 2

My kit has finally arrived,and seems o.k.Box says "Made in India",which is probably the root of the problem,due,perhaps,to deliveries being split,without Airfix being in control of the quantities.I think that Airfix would save themselves some trouble if they quickly advised customers on the site,when there are delivery problems.Now to delve through the reference library.

2 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

If the Spitfire XIV is “out”, why is it not available anywhere but from Airfix directly? They seem to be undercutting their retailers by selling directly before servicing their merchants. Wise policy? I, for one, don’t order from them since I purchased on old mold Buccaneer and paid more for the postage (to USA) than the kit.

For whatever reasons, in UK Airfix sell direct to Retailers.

Elsewhere they sell to Wholesalers, who then sell on to Retailers.

There's nothing to stop you, or anyone else, buying directly from Airfix (in UK) or retailer such as Hannants.  You would have, of course, to pay postage and any customs and other duties that the destination country chooses to levy on imports.  Whether this would be cheaper (it probably would) to buy from a 'local' source depends on the country.  You might have to wait longer too.

6 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

They may be tight on working capital. Selling a modest order completely for fast cash and not having to carry stock is far preferable to the alternative if that's the case. There might be slight loss of economies of scale but for any business facing the pinch, maintaining cash flow and adequate working capital takes priority over level of accounting profitability  

I agree. 

I suspect the level of pre-orders is used to help calculate future demand and so production. It could well be that the pre-orders are a first production run. When this is completed the number of pre-orders, plus dealer feedback are key data points in calculating the second run. 

You are 100% right, cash flow is king. If a business maintains a positive cash flow it is "safe", even if not very profitable. The reverse has only one outcome. 

There will be a certain % of the production run for the online store and a certain % for the retail chain.

And there is a marketing kudos in saying 'another sold out product' and that demand was so high you needed to manufacture more

3 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

I, for one, don’t order from them since I purchased on old mold Buccaneer and paid more for the postage (to USA) than the kit.

The threshold for free shipping to the USA is now £200 (before the club discount is subtracted if you get it). As a result, I just wait until the content of my basket reaches that level before I order. I occasionally miss out on things but that's life.

1 minute ago, Work In Progress said:

Well, there is. Neither Hannants nor Airfix actually have any.

Airfix is currently filling their own pre-orders and the trade orders (ie orders from retailers like Hannants). It will take a few days at least for these kits to start showing up as in stock and only then if the retailers themselves didn't pre-sell all their anticipated supply. The Airfix online store will get the lowest priority so will only have kits to sell if there are any left after all other orders have been filled.