1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.R. Mk.XIVe by Airfix - released

Homebee

My two arrived today. One kit was missing the clear sprue, which I hope is just a simple mistake. I've emailed customer services. 

In the box you have both the Mk 14 and later Mk 18 style rudders, different wheel tread tyres, plus normal wing tips mounded inplace with clear tips for the clipped wing. The design lineage looks to be from the Mk1 and Mk V kits as the XIV shares common construction approaches. Fortunately the strange split uncarriage legs are gone!  Interestingly on the wing insides there's is a very definite cutting channel around the E type gun stubs.

Both my samples seemed a little "mould liney" on the smaller parts, but the clear sprue was very nice. 

So so far so good, apart from the missing clear sprue in one.

cheers Jonners 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

So so far so good, apart from the missing clear sprue in one.

And that's why I ordered from Hannants two Spitfires Mk.22/24, to be sure one was at least complete. Sorry for the thread derail.

Edited by Sturmovik

16 hours ago, MattSimps74 said:

Moving this to work in progress!

Did you?

We modellers are a strange race. Now the low back Mk.XIV is here, and it is really not so interesting anymore, so we either start begging for a high back or start sawing the low back to pieces to build a hign back. 

Happily there are so many versions of the Spitfire that we always want more! So which company will produce a high back Mk.XIV or a PR Mk.XI? 

Who's next?

Definitely not a criticism. It is a diagnosis.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, NPL said:

Did you?

We modellers are a strange race. Now the low back Mk.XIV is here, and it is really not so interesting anymore, so we either start begging for a high back or start sawing the low back to pieces to build a hign back. 

Quality post my friend.  For years we were told that a Mk XIV Spit would bring world peace, end global warning and provide me with the winning numbers for the lottery and the first WIP is someone chopping one up.  😁

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, David A Collins said:

🙂

Well, I'm current making mine OOB in the silver scheme. Very nice it is too.

Good show Sir! Will we see the finished model here?

Steve

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Sorry Jonners, really do not know where that came from ?

Are you having a bad day ?

Friends, let us just enjoy that it is finally here. I also got a mail from Hannantstoday that several items I orderes for the embellishementis also there. Almost Christmas here (the weather is not much better).

• Like 1

Oh Jeez you lot!!!! s'pose I was deliberately putting the cat among the pigeons a bit, hence the post title 'chippy' (narky, a bit snidey) but your diagnosis is dead on NPL we are a really wierd lot!! I love the idea of having a model/mark/ type that no-one(or very few folk) have, and I really enjoy (to the point of masochism) the conversion process. Griffon nose and high back just gets me going, can't pin down exactly why - XIX's, Seafire mk45's (2 on the go at the moment) oof!!(rubs knees repeatedly). I've genuinely been waiting for this new release for yonks and am very grateful for it - and to you Jonners for your support. Anyway i'm writing when I could be priming the cockpit and free time is in short supply at my end.

cheers gents 😊 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Julien said:

Can we please keep this thread on topic and aviod some of the comments I have had to remove.

Thx

Julien

Julien,

Just accept that some Spitfire buffs here are celebrating the appearance of the Mk.XIV like cows the first spring morning on grass!  I plead guilty.

But of course you are right: Time to start discussing the next Spitfire. When and where, and which mark.

• Like 1

Mea Culpa! 

I do wonder though why the E type stubs are recessed inside the wings as if to be cut out and replaced for a potential C, yet the cannon blister panel on top isn't?  I'm not complaining, just pondering on what the reasoning might be?

Jonners

One thing that puzzles me about this Spit are the indents on the inner sides of the lower wing surfaces.  I imagine this could be rocket rails on another variant but did the Spit ever carry rockets?

John

Just now, jaw said:

One thing that puzzles me about this Spit are the indents on the inner sides of the lower wing surfaces.  I imagine this could be rocket rails on another variant but did the Spit ever carry rockets?

John

The FR XVIII was capable of carrying RPs I believe, so it makes a certain amount of sense, as the larger rudder is in the book too

cheers

Jonners

On 5/31/2019 at 2:28 PM, David A Collins said:

🙂

Well, I'm current making mine OOB in the silver scheme. Very nice it is too.

There's a good article about 2 Squadron's FRXIVe use in last months Aeroplane with some good photos for reference.

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

There's a good article about 2 Squadron's FRXIVe use in last months Aeroplane with some good photos for reference.

Thanks Meatbox8,

I also recall the Fighter Collection FR.XIV being initially painted in the same squadron colours too, circa mid-90's.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaw said:

John

The Academy 1/72 Mk.XIVc also contains RPs and the zero length launch rails. I have not seen any pictures of these aircraft so armed.

My pre-order shipment of the kit arrived today 'down under' in Australia.  6 days from Hornby warehouse to here.  I've opened up all the kits in my order and found no issues, so that bodes well.  What I have seen from my quick review of what is contained in the kit makes me very happy, and compared to the 'now relegated to history' Academy Spitfire XIV kit, this is certainly a more realistic and finer representation of what a Spitfire XIV looks like. I have a few c&m schemes selected for these, mainly late WW2 2TAF and immediate post-War BAFO aircraft.

An interesting sideline is that my order was shipped in one of the boxes that their manufacturer in India used to ship the kits to England.  Each box holds 12 kits.  On the side of the box it says that it is one of 396 boxes in the consignment = 4,512 kits in that consignment.  The word was that the supplier had split the order for shipping, so we know that at least part of that order equated to just over 4,500 kits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got mine today, I’m impressed, cleanly moulded nice lines, looks like a straight forward build - and canopy included- phew- am sure future variants will follow too.

well done Airfix- happy modeller here and well worth the wait!

TT

Glad to hear the lack of clear sprue seems to be just a 1 off for me so far.

A very quick build tip - because of the UC location "boxes" on the fuselage wing roots, you cant mate top and bottom wings before  mating to the fuselage. The instructions are clear about this - so don't going being a "proper modeller" and ignore them ! :)

The Rotol Prop looks to me like the later slightly broader at the tip type ( there's a Flanders and Swan song if ever there was one...). Am I imagining this?

Cheers
Jonners

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 7:57 AM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Mea Culpa! 

I do wonder though why the E type stubs are recessed inside the wings as if to be cut out and replaced for a potential C, yet the cannon blister panel on top isn't?  I'm not complaining, just pondering on what the reasoning might be?

Jonners

Parts 49 and 50 would appear to be plain leading edge inserts , possibly for a future unarmed post war or preserved airframe release ?

Andrew