1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.R. Mk.XIVe by Airfix - released

Homebee

Im really starting to warm to this box choice, both schemes are really striking and hopefully it may be a box that’s ‘produced in the UK’ for its better quality mould (that’s if this is still happening?).

Now I’ll admit not knowing much about this G-FIRE civil scheme, however the thought of decals to replicate G-FURY and G-HUNT as well is very tempting. I’d be more inclined to build all three in 1/72 and hope this would be just the enthusiasm to convince an AM decal manufacturer to treat us with a sheet of decals for all three subjects. 

Either way, this is yet another kit I’ll add from this years Airfix collection. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I’ll admit not knowing much about this G-FIRE civil scheme, however the thought of decals to replicate G-FURY and G-HUNT as well is very tempting. I’d be more inclined to build all three in 1/72 and hope this would be just the enthusiasm to convince an AM decal manufacturer to treat us with a sheet of decals for all three subjects. 

The decals for G-FIRE, G-HUNT and G-FURY are produced by Red Pegasus Decals in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 scale. I've just finished G-FIRE in 1/72 and the decals performed beautifully. G-HUNT is next and also a G-FIRE in 1/32 is in the queue at some point. Red Pegasus has been taken over by Greg Drawbaugh after the founder Keith Davidson passed away (I got my G-FIRE decals from Keith, and by the time they arrived, he had sadly died. All in the matter of the two weeks it took them to arrive from Canada) They also do Ormond Hayden-Ballie's "Black Knight" T-33....must get that decal sheet too!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That’s great news @fightersweep (Steve), I’ll have to look them up. Be nice to see your efforts displayed here, unless you’ve already done so and I’ve missed them, if so apologies for that. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s great news @fightersweep (Steve), I’ll have to look them up. Be nice to see your efforts displayed here, unless you’ve already done so and I’ve missed them, if so apologies for that. 

Cheers.. Dave 

No problems! Do give them a try. I found the decals nice to work with. They do need cut out first though, but no great problem.

I'll be posting photos of my G-FIRE very soon when I update my "1983 Great Warbirds Air Display" RFI. It's an ongoing project where I'm building every aircraft that attended the first airshow I went to, so I think I currently have another eight builds to add.

Sorry for going off topic!!

Steve

• Like 3

10 hours ago, fightersweep said:

The decals for G-FIRE, G-HUNT and G-FURY are produced by Red Pegasus Decals in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 scale. I've just finished G-FIRE in 1/72 and the decals performed beautifully. G-HUNT is next and also a G-FIRE in 1/32 is in the queue at some point. Red Pegasus has been taken over by Greg Drawbaugh after the founder Keith Davidson passed away (I got my G-FIRE decals from Keith, and by the time they arrived, he had sadly died. All in the matter of the two weeks it took them to arrive from Canada) They also do Ormond Hayden-Ballie's "Black Knight" T-33....must get that decal sheet too!

Steve

Think you;ll find they are not currently available. from Drawdecal who took over the Red Pegasus line

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Think you;ll find they are not currently available. from Drawdecal who took over the Red Pegasus line

Thanks for the info. I was just going by the website that appears functional, but glad to hear that the Red Pegasus line will live on. There were some unique decal options available, so I'll certainly be buying more once available (in the not too distant future hopefullly!)

Steve

The Red Pegasus sites says that following the sale of the business you'll only be able to buy the stuff from the Drawdecal site now: the Drawdecal site doesn't list them, though it may some day.

Edited from the future to say that as of autumn 2020 they are available print-on-demand

Edited by Work In Progress

• 7 months later...

Shame the inner cannon barrels are not included for G-FIRE as Airfix suggest the experienced modeller can make these outta plastic rod. Not exactly ideal, however this will not stop me buying this kit. Perhaps I’ll buy a couple and do both schemes as the Canadian Racer seems to be cannon-less. 

Cheers.. Dave 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Shame the inner cannon barrels are not included for G-FIRE as Airfix suggest the experienced modeller can make these outta plastic rod. Not exactly ideal, however this will not stop me buying this kit. Perhaps I’ll buy a couple and do both schemes as the Canadian Racer seems to be cannon-less. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I'm quite sure a set of inexpensive Master brass cannon barrels could help here 🙂

• Like 2

According to Chris Flack,Spencer's son on one of the many Facebook Group i'm in... Airfix have expressed a interest to the complete trio of Spencer's colourful fleet presumably if this one sells ok....So we could see G-FURY and G-HUNT in 1/48 using the already available Sea Fury and Hunter kits in the not too distant future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ultracast also do a very nice set of gun fairings - well worth a look. 

I can particularly recommend them for either a 'c' or an 'e' wing. I knocked these several times during my builds and they didn't budge or break.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...