1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire F.R. Mk.XIVe by Airfix - released

Homebee

3 minutes ago, NPL said:

It's an age old discussion, at least fifty years old. Of course Tamiya and Hasegawa were considered in a different class from the Airfix and Frog models. I believe that my first AFV model was Tamiya's German Panzer II. A marvelous revelation after scores of technically inferior European kits. But I have never built many Tamiya kits -- perhaps because it is in some way too simple. No challenge at all (maybe the decals, but that is another matter). 

Personally I will buy the most accurate kit out there of the type I'm after, whether it be a challenging kit or the easiest to build one, easy of build has nothing to do with it.  For me challenge from an easy to assemble kit comes from adding detail, making the kit more accurate or sometimes converting it to another variant. 

22 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Personally I will buy the most accurate kit out there of the type I'm after, whether it be a challenging kit or the easiest to build one, easy of build has nothing to do with it.  For me challenge from an easy to assemble kit comes from adding detail, making the kit more accurate or sometimes converting it to another variant. 

also my choice

• Like 1

This discussion has been most interesting and rewarding, in many ways!

But I wonder, is the kit, warts and all, still a rumour?

I just love to keep on discussing, how to improve it, pros and cons, tweaks, aftermarket, details, markings, accuracy, you name it. How to make an accurate FR.18 is perhaps the most interesting topic in my head as this version is somewhat elusive. But where to discuss further, here or at Aircraft WWII?

6 minutes ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

This discussion has been most interesting and rewarding, in many ways!

But I wonder, is the kit, warts and all, still a rumour?

I just love to keep on discussing, how to improve it, pros and cons, tweaks, aftermarket, details, markings, accuracy, you name it. How to make an accurate FR.18 is perhaps the most interesting topic in my head as this version is somewhat elusive. But where to discuss further, here or at Aircraft WWII?

Well everything stays here long after it's a rumour, it would be a bit quiet here otherwise! Here is usually were the new kits are discussed, but I guess if it's more in depth about making a more accurate model then I would say do it in WWII. 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, Tbolt said:

It's puzzling why it's happening, not how it's happening. The fact that a company can let poor quality leave their factory and the fact that Airfix let them get away with it. It just seems some companies will output low quality stuff if they can get away with it, it's obviously up to Airfix to improve their QC to stop this happening so much.

Not puzzling at all. My lab purchases medical products from India, definitely lower standards even though they are required to follow FDA and Health Canada standards. Lower pay, lower education = lower quality.

I have one of these kits on hold at the local shop. I’m still picking it up tomorrow although it is disappointing to see the quality is reduced after reading all these reviews and viewing online videos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Not puzzling at all. My lab purchases medical products from India, definitely lower standards even though they are required to follow FDA and Health Canada standards. Lower pay, lower education = lower quality.

I have one of these kits on hold at the local shop. I’m still picking it up tomorrow although it is disappointing to see the quality is reduced after reading all these reviews and viewing online videos. 

Is not the  lower pay down to the fact that the cost of living is a lot lower? China is the same but companies like Dspiae prove that high quality products can be produced in these countries if they want to. 

If the companies like Airfix started refusing poor quality then the quality would have to improve, but it's almost like Airfix think well it's cheap so that will do. That's what's puzzling to me.

At least buying from a store you can check it before you leave.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Is not the  lower pay down to the fact that the cost of living is a lot lower? China is the same but companies like Dspiae prove that high quality products can be produced in these countries if they want to. 

If the companies like Airfix started refusing poor quality then the quality would have to improve, but it's almost like Airfix think well it's cheap so that will do. That's what's puzzling to me.

At least buying from a store you can check it before you leave.

I've certainly been affected by the inconsistancies of Airfix products.  I've been building the 1/72 Blenheim I and have had terrible fit issues, the extent to which it came very close to being binned.  Having read other various reviews and WIPs here on Britmodeller no one else seems to have had such pronounced difficulties with the kit.  Incidentally, when I bought the kit it had no transparencies in it so had to get Airfix to replace them, which they duly did, but it suggests there are issues with quality control. 

• Like 1

Well I bought the MkXIV from AJAviation on Wednesday ( there was one more available when I left).  I washed the sprues last night and all looks fine, actually really lovely, as others note sprue gates are a bit large especially compared to size of some parts , but that’s standard for recent Airfix; I just know to cut out with care.   

30 or so club modellers looked over the sprues on Wednesday night and were in disbelief that there was negative comments on the net.  They all thought the kit looked great and they’re no slouches, some being Telford medalists.  So hopefully a straight forward build awaits.

cheers

Will

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I've certainly been affected by the inconsistancies of Airfix products.  I've been building the 1/72 Blenheim I and have had terrible fit issues, the extent to which it came very close to being binned.  Having read other various reviews and WIPs here on Britmodeller no one else seems to have had such pronounced difficulties with the kit.  Incidentally, when I bought the kit it had no transparencies in it so had to get Airfix to replace them, which they duly did, but it suggests there are issues with quality control. 

I had a Sea Fury on pre-order at my local shop when they first released. My kit didn't have the clear sprue. I took it back and we went through the other five kits on the shelf. Only one had the sprue. The shop wasn't happy because Airfix wanted the kits shipped back instead of sending them five new sprue.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, malpaso said:

Well I bought the MkXIV from AJAviation on Wednesday ( there was one more available when I left).  I washed the sprues last night and all looks fine, actually really lovely, as others note sprue gates are a bit large especially compared to size of some parts , but that’s standard for recent Airfix; I just know to cut out with care.   

30 or so club modellers looked over the sprues on Wednesday night and were in disbelief that there was negative comments on the net.  They all thought the kit looked great and they’re no slouches, some being Telford medalists.  So hopefully a straight forward build awaits.

cheers

Will

I think the large sprue gates is their answer to all the short shots they have been experiencing. They made larger gates hoping the flow into the mold improved.

From what I can see the biggest weakness of the kit is the fuel cell cover.

I'm picking mine up today once the shop opens.

The only answer to 100% complete, fault free, kits is 100% inspection: not really practical.  Perhaps, with going too much off thread, someone with Industrial Experience of Quality Control and Selective Sampling could make a posting or perhaps start a new thread about this.

Meanwhile, despite all the grumbling and reports of faults, omissions and shortcomings you 1/48 modellers are lucky, very lucky, and should be grateful to Airfix for their choice of this subject.  Those of us who model in God's scale (1/72) must try and make what we can of the Fujimi, Academy or Sword though I must admit I've not tried the last named.

I had hoped that a runaway success of the kit, with perhaps a follow-on 18, might persuade Airfix to break their practice on not down-scaling and give us renderings in 1/72 .  I have much less hope now.

I’ve been tinkering with mine off and on for a couple of days, dry fitting and suchlike and I am wondering wether it would be better to fit the upper wings before the lower to eliminate any gaps as some builders have experienced problems with the wing/fuselage joints.

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve been tinkering with mine off and on for a couple of days, dry fitting and suchlike and I am wondering wether it would be better to fit the upper wings before the lower to eliminate any gaps as some builders have experienced problems with the wing/fuselage joints.

Same here! I've come to the conclusion that "being an American and binning the instructions" is the cause of the problems. What looked a good idea to glue the cockpit tub sides to the fuselage a d then pulling the 2 halfs together has distorted things plus pulled the fuselage sides in to much hence the large gaps.

I've glued the wing spars in and taped everything together and ended up with this.

20190621_215739

Which I can live with, i've had a lot worse. You'd loose those gaps when you applied glue.

Just follow the instructions!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't it just be nice if Barracuda or Eduard remade that cover? Eduard has already prepared items to embellish this kit.: Wheels, stacks, instrument panel, internal details, flaps (whoever wants them?), and more to come.

Because it is probably too much to hope for that Airfix will revise that part

Edited by NPL

This is what I call an honest and objective approach to a scale model. There is nothing to add except that I personally would have compared it with the Mk.XIX, to better show the decline of quality of Airfix in 6 years while the opposite would be more logical. Short Run models of Ukrainian brands are light years ahead of Airfix in terms of finesse and details. The marketing of Airfix is meanwhile much better than the product ... This is also what it serves! One wonders how people are still trapped!
P.S. Do not tell me about 1/24 Hellcat. Ending with a twisted fuselage in such a box is completely inexcusable ....

Madcop.

• Like 5

Bit of a hatchet job I thought, complaints about the fit of parts , but mould attachments still visible on the completed model , so I wonder why the fit is not the best.  I also wasn't enamoured by Mr Budziks suggestion that a "proper modeller " should be engaged by Airfix , rather that just people who have built plastic kits for years.  [ surely these are Airfix's market ]

• Like 2

The review is certainly tells it as it is. 

Hornby hobbies are just about financially viable, but need to count every penny. Hence the "Made in India". the downside of outsourcing is that it makes QC harder. 

This spitfire kit is OK, but it it has its in built flaws. I'll get round to it, but it isn't a priority anymore. 

I have just compared it with the HK Models Lancaster and Airfix Hellcat. Both, from a close inspection of the sprues, are moulded to a similar standard, significantly better than the Spitfire.

But neither are up to the standard of Wingnut Wings, or some other main stream producers of kits. 

Given the price of the HK Kit I'm disappointed and may move it on before building, it depends on the price of the Wingnut one. 

When comparing the 1/24th Hellcat with the Lancaster it makes the Airfix product look incredibly good value. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

Bit of a hatchet job I thought, complaints about the fit of parts , but mould attachments still visible on the completed model , so I wonder why the fit is not the best.  I also wasn't enamoured by Mr Budziks suggestion that a "proper modeller " should be engaged by Airfix , rather that just people who have built plastic kits for years.  [ surely these are Airfix's market ]

His lack of understanding of the Spitfire itself also continues to show through. Following on from his failure to understand that the fuel tank cover should not be flush with the fuselage, he refers to the (accurate) weld seams on the exhaust as "flash". 

However, he makes good and fair points about the absence of positive location for some parts, and things like the positioning of some of the gates. Those are things which will definitely affect the core Airfix kit-builder, and it wouldn't cost them any more to design those things better.

• Like 3

I was test fitting the wings and they are a pain to line up. The lack of locating pins and no definite spot to join then means a fair bit of careful alignment and taping  prior to adding glue.

The trimming of parts due to mould shift  barely registers these days as I have made too many short run kits and main stream manufacturers kits that need it.

39 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

His lack of understanding of the Spitfire itself also continues to show through. Following on from his failure to understand that the fuel tank cover should not be flush with the fuselage, he refers to the (accurate) weld seams on the exhaust as "flash". 

However, he makes good and fair points about the absence of positive location for some parts, and things like the positioning of some of the gates. Those are things which will definitely affect the core Airfix kit-builder, and it wouldn't cost them any more to design those things better.

Hi W.I.P.

I am with you , except for the following.

Yeah, you are right, this tank cover should protrude a little bit instead of being lower than the rest of the fuselage. In the meantime it should fit and not walk around.  And while at it, he had to remove the flash around the exhauts stubs, like he had to correct the landing gear legs to be able to fit the wheels. He never talked about de weld seams being "flash"...

You may not be an afficionado of the spitfire and still spot the weakness of a model...Thanks to Airfix , it is not difficult !

I wish the German could buy Airfix and save it ...( as they did with Heller. ) And this is not blasphemy !

Madcop 

Bit perplexed by the review - my model doesnt look to be as badly moulded as his- though some of his points are well made. Not familiar with this chap I thought I'd check out other reviews - turns out he wasnt that impressed with the Eduard Tempest either 'should not have been moulded with these fit issues from the box' especially as its nearly twice the price of the Spit.

His models are superb mind, but perhaps he isn't happy with any kit unless its Tamiya. He likes those!

Ah well, I'll see how I bash it together - I get the impression Airfix have shifted a shed load - the Hellcat seems to have been warmly received ( despite the initial erm, disappointment, it wasnt a Tempest, Sea Fury etc) so I wonder what he'll make of that?

ATB

TT

3 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Well surely there are no weld seems on the exhausts, just the mold lines. You can use them as weld lines, though a bit of cleaning up would be needed.

As for the tank cover did he say it should be flush with the fuselage? He said the fit was dreadful and I thought the cover should be a little proud not recessed with a large gap, so I thought his comment was valid, his didn't fit very well.