Need help with Devonshire-class, 1905

AlexO

Hi everyone!

Could you help me with plans of any of six Devonshire-class cruisers built in 1903-1905 (HMS Argyll, HMS Hampshire, HMS Devonshire, HMS Roxburgh, HMS Carnarvon, HMS Antrim)? I found lots of photos of their sides, but no plans of upper deck, bridges and so on. As far as I know, there is a model of HMS Argyll in Glasgow Transport Museum, very detailed, but I found only one picture of it. Also, I'm very interested in dazzle-camouflage schemes for Carnarvon, Roxburgh or Devonshire (there are only one side photos without color description).

Edited by AlexO
typo

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Killingholme said:

There will almost certainly be design plans at the National Maritime Museum. 

https://www.rmg.co.uk/shop/ship-plan-prints-scanning

Brace yourself though- you'll be looking at a couple of hundred quid to get them to scan a set of plans...

Thank you, indeed, they do, and I have these scans now: inboard profile, upper deck and bridges, boat deck plans.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Realize this is an extreme long-shot (not least since the OP hasn't been on the site since March 2019) but any ship modelling experts out there in Britmodeller-land have suggestions for how I might make a model of HMS Argyll?  A relative was serving aboard her when she ran aground in 1915 and I'd like to depict the ship as she looked....just prior to being wrecked, of course.

My Google-fu suggests there isn't a decent model of the Devonshire Class cruisers (I did find a 1/1350th scale waterline representation but it looks basic in the extreme).  

Scratchbuilding something as big as a cruiser is probably beyond my capabilities so if there isn't a kit out there that can reasonably be converted, I may have to admit defeat.  

Any (printable and non-mocking) thoughts/ideas would be very much appreciated.  

Can't help re modelling aspects, I'm afraid, but a nice large photo of Argyll appears on p.287 of the book mentioned by @AWFK10.  Clear and close-up but because it's from the starboard quarter maybe not so terribly useful for modelling details.  Undated but Friedman surmises that it is was not long before her loss.

Others may well know more but the closest thing available to a Devonshire Class cruiser looks to be the Combrig 1/350 or 1/700 resin kits of their Monmouth Class predecessors which were 15 feet shorter and had 30" less beam. They also had three funnels rather than four and (excluding casemate-mounted guns) 2 x twin 6" turrets as opposed to the Devonshires' 4 x single 7.5", so although the two designs were fundamentally similar they were quite different in appearance. I think the only option would be scratchbuilding, if possible sourcing items like ship's boats from a kit. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of one that would provide those turrets.

You might know, but just in case - you can find a very big and highly detailed model of HMS Argyll in Glasgow Museum of Transport https://www.wikiwand.com/en/HMS_Argyll_(1904) Although my interest is HMS Antrim, it was very useful for me.

I haven’t heard about any Kit for Devonshire class, except the Combrigs for Monmouth, mentioned above. A bit later after this topic was started, I was communicating with Glasgow Museum curators and got the detailed pictures of the model, but I cannot share them unfortunately, just as the scans from RMG. But I think they could be retrieved by anyone interested enough. So scratchbuilding is an option.

@mhaselden Good luck with your HMS Argyll! 😉

Edited by AlexO

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Many thanks for all the ideas.  Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

The Combrig model looks pretty interesting.  I suspect I'd have to buy 2 of them and somehow combine them to get the extra length....and that starts to get spendy if I try to hunt out the 1/350th scale versions (although that's the more interesting scale to me.  

Then again, at the rate I build models, it may take me years to get this project off the ground.