Jagdpanzer IV L/48 - Normandy 1944 - Revell 1/35

mahavelona

Well it was looking good in the last photos. Hope you have a good Christmas with the family and I look forward to you coming back to this project afterwards.

Kind regards,

Stix

13 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

This makes me want to build another armour kit, great job so far!

A Panzer IV in this GB might be a great place to build another armour kit! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi mahavelona. Just wondering if there has been any progress with this project?

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for your interest!

My life is split between two workbenches; one up north and one down south. Over Christmas I've been down south and haven't left yet! I've been wrestling an Airfix Catalina down here but next week I will be up north again and those track links can come out to play...

• Like 1

And finally... Some progress!

After gluing the roof and front plate to the main body of the tank, I realised that I had an empty line on the top and front of the tank's sides where I had no zimmerit. This is inaccurate according to my photos so I have added that zimmerit fresh now.

uDw2KV3.jpg

I have also begun on the tracks... Revell unfortunately left me some ejector pins on EVERY tracklink which needed sanding off. A painful job.

IQF04Wc.jpg

Simply clipping all the individual links off their three sprues took over an hour! I have begun to glue together the flat, bottom section of the tracks. They have all been coated in an initial coat of rusty coloured paint, but much more is to come...

JKfHVo0.jpg

• Like 4

Hi mahavelona. Great to see some more progress and looking very good too. The Zimmerit has come together well. With regards the tracks - I have made up some individual track link tracks in the past - they were Migic Tracks from Dragon - and followed an idea I'd seen somewhere online. I know yours aren't Magic Tracks but the principle will be pretty much the same. I have included a link to my old Pz.III project where I detailed what I did to make the tracks. It might be useful (or not!)

Kind regards,

Stix

Zimm is very well achieved, motley and well compacted, I would have been sent to make one to my Jagdpanzer IV / 48, but I had nothing appropriate at the time. Those tracks, sure they are a headache, I bet you have broken more than one link to remove them from their position, but fortunately enough spare will come ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I must confess I've made some progress without remembering to snap photos along the way! So there is no pic of the completed tracks. Sorry! I have got them assembled into larger pieces as shown before. Thankfully I didn't break any as I clipped them off. It took perhaps two hours to get them on, which wasn't as painful as anticipated.

Currently the upper and lower hull have not been glued together. I will do that once the tracks are glued onto the road wheels and suitably weathered....

I DID get some photos just after I painted the base coat on the main hull. 

NsUB63d.jpg

7nMlJQT.jpg

1Qml0Xt.jpg

It's always exciting when we get to this colourful stage! Camo next.

Edited by mahavelona
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job on the zimmermit, looks very effective.

Cheers! I've realised that the side plates are better at the back than the front, but it is too late to change it now. 

Camo is on!

FpVtyFk.jpg

• Like 3

One more, better lit photo of the painted camo. The weathered lower hull and fresh-painted upper hull contrast quite a lot at this stage but I'll tone that down with weathering.

tnHCdQU.jpg

Then a few more steps on the upper hull. 

Added decals to represent our vehicle. Thankfully I could cobble together the "212" numbers from across the kit's decal sheet. Revell's decals are my favourite; they have that matt finish which to me sits very well against the matt finish of my armour builds. I have never had any luck with any sort of 'matt coat' products I've used - they always come out satin - so I am perhaps an unusual modeller in that I skip the matt step. I did have to slice the decals a little once they were applied, to get them to sit in the zimmerit. I will need to paint some white, black and red on top of them to even up the gaps. Photos of "212" show that the numbers were painted roughly and some of the paint leaks into the zimmerit, so I will go for that effect too.

A dark wash has been applied to the whole of the tank, 

HoY5No4.jpg

zGhAwtM.jpg

I'm also planning some stowage for the rear deck!

• Like 8

Hi Mahavelona,

I'm loving the lower hull, wheels, rollers etc. I am really happy because it looks pretty much identical to mine in terms of mud/weathering and colouration. In fact we could swap them and no one would be any the wiser. So, mine isn't an anomaly after all!

Good job on the Zim, and brilliant job on the camo. I am always in awe of people who manage to work out the pattern and colour distribution, most especially those of 'hard edged' 3 colour camo schemes.

Oh, BTW, for 'matt coats', have a go with Winsor and Newton's Galeria Matt Acrylic Varnish. I swear by the stuff and know of quite a few others here do as well. The stuff could take the shine off the Sun.

Rearguards,

Badder

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Mahavelona,

I'm loving the lower hull, wheels, rollers etc. I am really happy because it looks pretty much identical to mine in terms of mud/weathering and colouration. In fact we could swap them and no one would be any the wiser. So, mine isn't an anomaly after all!

Good job on the Zim, and brilliant job on the camo. I am always in awe of people who manage to work out the pattern and colour distribution, most especially those of 'hard edged' 3 colour camo schemes.

Oh, BTW, for 'matt coats', have a go with Winsor and Newton's Galeria Matt Acrylic Varnish. I swear by the stuff and know of quite a few others here do as well. The stuff could take the shine off the Sun.

Rearguards,

Badder

You could swap them - only that I would end up with the better finished model and you would receive an apparent downgrade! :D 

To be honest I'm not entirely sure if this camo scheme should be hard edged; I originally tried to go for softer edges but it is tricky to do so when painting acrylics using the brush and I lost patience. My weathering will tone things down though, so the demarcation seems less distinct, I hope. 

I shall investigate Winsor and Newton's varnish when I'm next at the model shop, thanks.

Thanks for the positive comments chaps. 

I would say that both hard edges and smoothed, would be correct, because at that stage of the war, at the worst did not have much time to adjust to the patterns of camo and paintings established.

Undoubtedly the weathering will attenuate the result ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate 👍

22 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

I would say that both hard edges and smoothed, would be correct, because at that stage of the war, at the worst did not have much time to adjust to the patterns of camo and paintings established.

Undoubtedly the weathering will attenuate the result ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate 👍

You are of course right. I feel the photos perhaps show a smooth-edged scheme, but they are low-quality photos, and the ones which show the pattern best are actually quite blurry... Potentially creating an illusion that the camo is smooth-edged. 

It is done!

Sorry for the lack of interim photos. I have added stowage, including the rack of jerrycans seen in the historic photos, and given it a dusty weathering.

cQoh2LB.jpg

bLS39K3.jpg

nm9r9Pk.jpg

T1TIpWk.jpg

B0Lm2Vt.jpg

qDtU0L1.jpg

4dtls46.jpg

Wt47JvD.jpg

LAqTpwO.jpg

FoOyxFk.jpg

kWNVTjF.jpg

Edited by mahavelona
  • Like 4

Hi mahavelona. Great to see this is the Gallery! It really has turned out superbly. Your hand-made Zimmerit really adds to the overall appearance and your painting and weathering are top notch. Fantastic result!

Very well done. :clap2::thumbsup::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi mahavelona. Great to see this is the Gallery! It really has turned out superbly. Your hand-made Zimmerit really adds to the overall appearance and your painting and weathering are top notch. Fantastic result!

Very well done. :clap2::thumbsup::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for your kind words

• Like 1